Tech Music

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Hear me out on this one. I know we allowed only 11,000 fans into each home game and it appeared to me most showed up this season. There were times those 11,000 fans got loud and I think that is important to what makes college football. It appears that Tech is trying way too hard to control the football atmosphere with constant music being played right up to the point of the ball being snapped. I don't know if other schools are doing the same thing. Many times I've read that the players and student like the music and that is fine if true, but is Tech taking vocal fans out of the picture? Last night I saw some of our defensive players raising their arms up to get the crowd involved, but the music just drowned the crowd noise out. The same thing happened last year too. So Tech what do you want, music or crowd cheering.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hear me out on this one. I know we allowed only 11,000 fans into each home game and it appeared to me most showed up this season. There were times those 11,000 fans got loud and I think that is important to what makes college football. It appears that Tech is trying way too hard to control the football atmosphere with constant music being played right up to the point of the ball being snapped. I don't know if other schools are doing the same thing. Many times I've read that the players and student like the music and that is fine if true, but is Tech taking vocal fans out of the picture? Last night I saw some of our defensive players raising their arms up to get the crowd involved, but the music just drowned the crowd noise out. The same thing happened last year too. So Tech what do you want, music or crowd cheering.
I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 but did opt out this year do to knee replacement surgery . But the real fact we as Tech fans kind of suck at being load and cheering other than the big games, We have been load at times but most go we have not.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think so. It’s a service that Tech contracts too for “noise”. I hate it. But many other schools do the same.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
They could bump down the volume by 10 decibels and it'd still be plenty load.

Also, it sucks when the music is so loud that you can't hear the officials making a call over the loud speaker system.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They could bump down the volume by 10 decibels and it'd still be plenty load.

Also, it sucks when the music is so loud that you can't hear the officials making a call over the loud speaker system.
I noticed on TV that one time the PA announcer was talking over the official making an announcement. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen at any game besides at the high school level. The music is fine when I’ve been to the stadium, but the PA guy is pretty bad. I’ve said before that I don’t mind the “money down” moniker, but having the PA guy say it is beyond cringey. Give students fake money to throw, flash money down graphics on the big screens, talk about 3rd and 4th downs being “money downs” in media appearances, but don’t let the guy say it over the PA. It’s so much worse than when Tennessee used to play “Third Down for What” at their games.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
In the west stands last night, it seemed as though the crowd, the vibe, was very muted until the barrage of penalty calls in the 3rd quarter. That seemed to energize the team and the small
crowd.

But getting back to the constant music in between every single play, to me, it became irritating, but part of that was due to the disappointing game performance. Also add Money Down. Also they have diminished the contribution of the band.

But winning cures a lot of ills. Play better, keep the game close, even get a lead, and a more engaged and energized crowd will follow.