Article Tech Grinds Down Mercer in Home Opener

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[figure="align: left"]
mercer_vs_georgia_tech_0322_thumb.jpg
[figcap]Georgia Tech Redshirt Sophomore A-Back Qua Searcy (#1) led all rushers with 91 yards on just seven carries.[/figcap][/figure]ATLANTA, GA – A sloppy start proved inconsequential as Georgia Tech methodically overcame the Mercer Bears for its second win of the season Saturday at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Tech’s game-opening drive was halted via fumble, leading to Mercer’s lone touchdown drive of the day. Despite an early 7-0 hole, the Jackets’ offense responded with touchdowns on 3 of its next 4 drives to take control of the scoreboard and ultimately the game, one that ended in a 35-10 Georgia Tech victory.

“Other than a couple of fumbles, I was a little more pleased offensively and it was a little more recognizable [than a week ago],” said Head Coach Paul Johnson.

Fumbles were the only thing keeping the Jackets from finding the end zone Saturday. Dismissing a one-play drive to end the first half, the Jackets offense scored a touchdown every drive they did not fumble.

Two fumbles resulted in turnovers, one in each half. The third non-touchdown drive included a fumbled option pitch, recovered by Tech for a 9-yard loss, resulting in the Jackets’ lone punt on the day.

“Two fumbles were inexcusable,” said Johnson. “Other than the two fumbles, offensively it wasn’t bad.”

Three Georgia Tech quarterbacks engineered touchdown drives. Starting quarterback Justin Thomas racked up 69 yards on the ground and 80 yards through the air to take the Jackets to the half up 21-7. Following Thomas’ departure at halftime due to injury, backups Matthew Jordan and TaQuon Marshall led a touchdown drive apiece, the final one capped by Marshall’s 11-yard touchdown scramble around the right end to the south end zone pylon.

“I thought Matthew did a really good job,” said Johnson. “TaQuon didn’t really have a lot of decisions other than to take the snap and run. He’s got good quickness and good speed. When he got outside, he made a nice run.”

Redshirt sophomore Qua Searcy led all rushers with 91 yards on just 7 carries, providing enough evidence through two games that he is a threat via the ground and the air.

The Jackets’ defense did its part to hold Mercer to 10 points, though it was a performance that left the unit on the field for chunks of game time.

“Defensively, 3rd down and 4th down wasn’t very good,” said Johnson. “We’ve been bend but don’t break for two weeks. We need some 3 and outs.”

Like last week, Johnson and players alike noted there is still room for improvement in all phases of the game. Like last week, Tech overcame its issues to claim another win. Through two games, there is no better place to be than 2-0.

Next up is a visit from the Vanderbilt Commodores and a chance for the Jackets to end the first quarter of the season at 3-0.

Last edited by a moderator:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Did the D force one 3 and out vs this super top tier fcs foe (been in football for 4 years so established history too)?

Lol

No serious did we? I cant recall. I know they made us punt on a 3 and out

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Did the D force one 3 and out vs this super top tier fcs foe (been in football for 4 years so established history too)?

Lol

No serious did we? I cant recall. I know they made us punt on a 3 and out

Of their 9 possessions, there were 2, 3 and outs. 1 in each half.