Tech great Joe Auer has passed away

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That blond headed kid could run. A childhood hero of mine - he had style. Believe he had a pet lion cub?

Was a favorite of Miami fans during early Dolphin days.

Sadly, he was involved in a play that broke my heart against LSU at GF. He was wide open on the West sideline and dropped a little pass from Lothridge. He would have walked in for the winning TD, but we lost by 3 I think.

But his good far outweighed his bad. Believe he got involved in Racing.

R.I.P. #22.

Thank you.

That blond headed kid could run. A childhood hero of mine - he had style. Believe he had a pet lion cub?

Sadly, he was involved in a play that broke my heart against LSU at GF. He was wide open on the West sideline and dropped a little pass from Lothridge. He would have walked in for the winning TD, but we lost by 3 I think.

R.I.P. #22.

Thank you.
I was there for that LSU game, and, with all due respect to a Tech legend, he blew it.
Nevertheless, RIP Joe, "the man of the hour" Auer.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
R.I.P. Joe Auer. Remember him well. He played both ways alongside Tech greats Billy "little Indian" Williamson, Chick Graning and Billy Lotheridge on some of Coach Dodd's late career very strong teams. And also, Stan "the man" Gann, who I think shot himself in the foot in a quick draw contest!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I heard it was an alligator that he kept in the shower. Maybe it was both. :beercheers:

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about it. I heard he had the lion cub, but also I thought I heard about a gator as well.

Named the gator “Dammit” because that was what he yelled one day trying to pick it up and it bit him. IDK

Joe did earn a ME degree, so pretty well rounded guy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

R.I.P. #22.

Thank you.
Yes. I remember that play and Al's unforgettable call for it ("Auer is there! He dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!"). Too bad that such a great player - and he was - is remembered for that one mistake. And, yes, he did have that lion for a pet. Needless to say, the authorities intervened as it grew.

My sympathies to his bereaved family.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
RIP, Joe.
Brings back lots of memories. Lotheridge, Martin, Ted Davis, Billy Pascal, Chick, David Sewell. Chick was my ROTC platoon leader when Darwin Holt elbowed him in the face coming off the field. I don't remember Joe being too fast but on that LSU pass, he beat his man straight down the west sideline and it popped out of his hands. But Joe gave 100% every game and I remember him for that and his cub. He was a character.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
As I remember, he kept the cub in his "new dorm" room. I don't think that would be allowed today. [emoji4]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I remember that play and Al's unforgettable call for it ("Auer is there! He dropped the ball! He dropped the ball!"). Too bad that such a great player - and he was - is remembered for that one mistake. And, yes, he did have that lion for a pet. Needless to say, the authorities intervened as it grew.

My sympathies to his bereaved family.

Yeah! And I remember very well Joe’s reply to a reporter who asked him about his dropped pass during the post-game interview:

“Whoops.”

Rest In Peace, Joe Auer. We all know you didn’t mean to drop that pass!