Tech favored over Duke

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
if we can’t stop Durant their running back it going to be a long day and most likely another horrible loss. His got over 600 yards so far and 8 touchdowns. He is fast and probably the best running back that we will face and their quarterback is pretty good also. This game is no way a give me and if we don’t play our a game on both sides of the ball I can see we losing bye 2 scores

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Seems about right. Anyone betting on our games at this point has more $$ than brains. Our team is schizophrenic for sure. We could win big or lose big. Who knows? We should probably win this one by 17 or more, but if I was a gambler, I would find another game.
This is probably the worst Duke team of Coach Cutliffe's tenure. We should blow them out by two or three TDs. I would take Tech with a 4 point spread. Tech to win and even our record with 3 wins and 3 losses. Could be better but could be worse as well. Not to disparage the above posts as they make reasonable assumptions but I am assuming that Sims will not come out and throw back to back interceptions in which case all bets are off.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is probably the worst Duke team of Coach Cutliffe's tenure. We should blow them out by two or three TDs. I would take Tech with a 4 point spread. Tech to win and even our record with 3 wins and 3 losses. Could be better but could be worse as well. Upon further review, they are doing better than last year when they finished 2-9. They are 3-2 on the year now but coming off a bad loss to UNC. I still think we can beat them and cover the spread.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m telling you their running back is legit. 106 attempts 636 yards 8 touchdowns 6 yard avg and 12 rec 170 yards and 1 touchdown
Yes he is and the quarterback is good too but as we have seen having good skill position players without linemen does not work for long. Which team recovers best from disappointing and potentially season killing losses will determine the outcome.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Beat them 56-33 last year, though we only broke it open late. Cutcliffe is nearing the end of the line. I think we would be favored by double digits if we had shown up at all vs Pitt.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m telling you their running back is legit. 106 attempts 636 yards 8 touchdowns 6 yard avg and 12 rec 170 yards and 1 touchdown
Yea he’s pretty damn good. However, I’m not too concerned about teams running on us as much as throwing. Fortunately we don’t play another QB like a Howell or especially a Picket until maybe ND, who will have a big advantage on their Oline, or Uga. This is a swing game for the season for us. We need to win, and win by a lot as well as stay healthy going a to a bye week. Work on corrections and prep for uva. We need to find a way to win two or more in a row to get above 500 heading into the final two games of the season.

I think we win this one by 10-14

We better win by more!

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to do to Duke what we should have done to NIL, establish the run game with our embarrassment of riches in Sims, Gibbs, Mason and Smith, then if we get a 3 TD lead, we can then experiment on our passing game. Durant is a real threat, need the D to key on him like Downs from UNC and limit the damage.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Also we got stop mike Bobo son also. His 6 foot 5 and had 40 receptions so far this year. This duke game is not going to be as easy as some might think!!
I am going to look at some of the condensed games, for what its worth, and circle back to you. My first inclination watching the Duke- Carolina game was that the Blue Devils were simply outclassed but I am willing now to suspend judgement upon further review. I still think we are going to whack them but let's see. One thing is for sure, for one of the two teams, the loser will be staring at the abyss of a lost season already.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is probably the worst Duke team of Coach Cutliffe's tenure. We should blow them out by two or three TDs. I would take Tech with a 4 point spread. Tech to win and even our record with 3 wins and 3 losses. Could be better but could be worse as well. Not to disparage the above posts as they make reasonable assumptions but I am assuming that Sims will not come out and throw back to back interceptions in which case all bets are off.
After watching them against UNC, I take this back. They have a great running back in Durrant. A t 6-1 195lbs he is not a power back but has a way of wiggling through and breaking tackles. He has more gears than a 16 wheeler. The quarterback is good but not great. On the other hand, it is hard to judge him because Carolina consistently got pressure on him. Duke started out the game great with two sacks and moved the ball some with Durrant running but Carolina big plays were too much. Chandler got a 75 yard pass reception on a wheel route and that was followed immediately by a scoop and score. Howell got off a long run to cap a drive and before you could say "fire Cutliffe" they were up 21-0. The Duke quarterback, Holcombe (?) was sacked at least four times in the first half. Duke was also able to get pressure on Howell and really racked him a few times. Duke lost to Charlotte and UNC but had a three game win streak coming into the Carolina game. They throw a lot of quick wide receiver screens it seems like. Calhoun is a speedster who scored on a long pass play and they throw a good bit to the backs and tight ends. The team that can hang onto the ball, recover from the previous week's debacle, and get pressure on the quarterback will win. Two teams with their backs to the wall which one will blink first?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We're going to wipe them off the field. The Pitt game was the first game I really saw our OL and DL get manhandled. Nothing I've seen from Duke this season leads me to believe there's going to be a similar OL/DL performance from them.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had us 3-3 coming out of Duke. The Clemson UNC Pitt stretch, minus UNC, went as I and most figured. We now play 5 in a row against teams that are less talented or have more coaching issues than us. Win Saturday, get right in the bye week and find a way to win in Charlottesville and we can still hit 6-7 wins.
But the Duke game is crucial for the season and staff.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had us 3-3 coming out of Duke. The Clemson UNC Pitt stretch, minus UNC, went as I and most figured. We now play 5 in a row against teams that are less talented or have more coaching issues than us. Win Saturday, get right in the bye week and find a way to win in Charlottesville and we can still hit 6-7 wins.
But the Duke game is crucial for the season and staff.
This is good. It is something for me to keep in mind as well. While we hoped the Pitt game would be different, after watching the replay I think Pitt is easily 2 TDs better than us. Especially on the LOS. Plus, we gifted them 2 TDs.

So, win in Durham and we will be 3-3. Anyone who forecast us with a better record has a superior flavor of Kool-Aid than I can find. But, our inconsistency makes that prediction very scary.