Tech facilities

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I have to commend GT on building and maintaining great facilities on campus. From BDS@HGF, to Mcamish, the football practice facility, swim complex, and Russ Chandler. Recognized nationally. Man it's great to be a Yellow Jacket.

CDXmEjOWMAA910m.jpg

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is the only way to kill poa annua, without killing bermuda grass, is to pull or do a pre-emergent treatment in late October?

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the only way to kill poa annua, without killing bermuda grass, is to pull or do a pre-emergent treatment in late October?
This is what they told me at Pike's a few weeks ago. They also said that the stuff will dry up and die on its own when it gets hot and humid. Of course by then (already in fact) the seeds are disbursed leading to more problems in years to come. You can use Roundup, but that kills everything it hits.

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There are several ways to eliminate poa in warm season lawns such as bermuda and zoysia. The best way is to apply preemergent (Barricade or prodiamine) in August, again in late November and again in Feb/Mar. Another way is to spray it with Round-Up while your lawn is dormant in Jan/Feb. If you miss those applications and or still have poa once your yard has greened up you can apply Revolver (Foramsulfuron). Make sure to follow the label rates and if your yard is green when you spray Revolver it would be wise to include some iron or nitrogen fertilizer in the mix to combat discoloration of your turf.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are several ways to eliminate poa in warm season lawns such as bermuda and zoysia. The best way is to apply preemergent (Barricade or prodiamine) in August, again in late November and again in Feb/Mar. Another way is to spray it with Round-Up while your lawn is dormant in Jan/Feb. If you miss those applications and or still have poa once your yard has greened up you can apply Revolver (Foramsulfuron). Make sure to follow the label rates and if your yard is green when you spray Revolver it would be wise to include some iron or nitrogen fertilizer in the mix to combat discoloration of your turf.
Or you could just adopt my philosophy, keep it mowed real low and it doesn't matter what you got growin' as long as it's green.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
get it in your fescue and you're basically screwed. anything that will kill poa will kill fescue. pre-emerge in the fall, but then you have to be picky about when you overseed...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Be EXTRA careful with the Roundup (Glycophosphate) just because Zoysia, Bermuda, Centopee, etc. is "brown" doesn't mean it is 100% dormant. ONLY spray close to the poa and avoid overspray. Guarantee your warm season grass will have streaks and or larger spots of dead warm season grass when the lawn greens up if you aren't VERY CAREFUL when using Roundup related products.

To prevent it in the future besides pre-emergent make sure to kill it all in your neighbor's yard too... Go ahead and use round up all over their yard ;)

turfjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Be EXTRA careful with the Roundup (Glycophosphate) just because Zoysia, Bermuda, Centopee, etc. is "brown" doesn't mean it is 100% dormant. ONLY spray close to the poa and avoid overspray. Guarantee your warm season grass will have streaks and or larger spots of dead warm season grass when the lawn greens up if you aren't VERY CAREFUL when using Roundup related products.

To prevent it in the future besides pre-emergent make sure to kill it all in your neighbor's yard too... Go ahead and use round up all over their yard ;)
The best way to avoid these streaks or spots is to evenly spray your entire yard (not just the poa) with your Round-Up solution. This will ensure that the entire yard will green up at the same time. Even when "completely dormant" trace amounts of the chemical will be translocated into the plant and will slightly delay green up in the spring. The other benefit to this method is you will kill any tiny poa plants that you may not see. If you make this application somewhere from mid Jan to mid Feb it is very safe. I'm not recommending this, but one year when I missed my preemergent and my yard was covered in poa, I sprayed the entire yard (very green) at the end of March. It killed all the poa, turned the bermuda brown again, but it all greened back up in 10-14 days.