Tech Defense

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Welcome to my world!!!!

In this thread, i will try to give a baseline view of what we might see and what we should expect from a CGC defense. I tend to use 15 16 Florida Gators as my proxy, bc currently i believe we translate to what they had and what I foresee us to grow to be on defense. I also like to use those UF teams bc i think that was one of the top 3 coaching jobs I’ve witnessed ever. A back story for those who don’t remember, UF had Will Grier at QB, but he was suspended for PEDs mid season and they had to play Treon Harris QB and he was horrible, so a lot of pressure was on CGC to win games for them and he did.

Let’s look at few things:
Personnel

This was the biggest surprise to me was the size of UF they were not massive and very comparable to what we have on our roster *note* Bullard was moved to DT after Brantley got in trouble*

A149302A-D979-4DA2-BB19-ABF9D9C1D5E4.jpeg

D5B05519-7630-4A45-9583-530235064DA0.jpeg

Not the huge interior guys many would expect. Also, not any great rushers, but they were all
sound and were physical that accumulated 40 in 2015 sacks. Big B loss hurt a lot. Hopefully, the young guys step up and can be productive. DE is still a little light if Owens is kicked to the inside to DT. Clayton is huge for us just simple depth and knowing the expectation, but need him to be THAT GUY early until the offense can find its identity

Where we do see the difference is at LB.
2015 has 3 LBs that were drafted in the 1st, 3rd & 4th rds. We need someone to step up drastically in order for the controlled chaos style of defense to work or it just be chaos.

DB is very comparable. Actually we are a lot bigger than these guys. UF group consisted of two 1st rounders and four 2nd rders. Our group will be exciting to watch as CGC is known as the DB whisperer

Style of defense

Here are some highlights that will give you an idea of what to expect from a CGC defense. The biggest is the cushion and when you do see a cushion you don’t see the DBs bailing hard afterwards. Also, look at the space btw defender and the receiver on ball arrival. That’s great skill and route recognition. Ahhh refreshing to see.

Here are some highlights
*sorry for the language*

Wanted to post this bc of Florida color rush uniforms for Supersize and gold1 lol. This also shows UF in a base 4-3 and it appears they are in a under front

Stats
6C239989-B870-498A-BDB7-62B65462D8A0.jpeg

26075724-EFB6-42A9-999D-B710B424AD0E.jpeg

I’ll do a break down of the spring game and some individual gms from the past as well

What did you guys want to see from the defense and what are your expectations?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wow! Content.
Thanks.

First questions - where did u get the stats
Did UF frequently burned deep?,
no need to reply until u add more content.

What do I want so see out of defense? Its like i have been at a bbq and drinking beer all afternoon, i am so hungry I really don't care about the details.

I want it to be the scheme which gives gt an identity.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thanks for putting this together @Ibeeballin. I am looking forward to learning more about the concepts of CGC's D. I think it will be great to learn more about that side of the ball since I have spend the last decade learning the ins and outs of CPJ's offense it will be refreshing to switch it up to the D Side.

I am looking for the following:
1) No more soft cushion.
2) Line Backers making the tackle on first contact and not bumping or attempting arm tackles.
3) DLine getting physical, aggresive and using their hands better to get to the QB or RB behind the line.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Welcome to my world!!!!

In this thread, i will try to give a baseline view of what we might see and what we should expect from a CGC defense. I tend to use 15 16 Florida Gators as my proxy, bc currently i believe we translate to what they had and what I foresee us to grow to be on defense. I also like to use those UF teams bc i think that was one of the top 3 coaching jobs I’ve witnessed ever. A back story for those who don’t remember, UF had Will Grier at QB, but he was suspended for PEDs mid season and they had to play Treon Harris QB and he was horrible, so a lot of pressure was on CGC to win games for them and he did.

Let’s look at few things:
Personnel

This was the biggest surprise to me was the size of UF they were not massive and very comparable to what we have on our roster *note* Bullard was moved to DT after Brantley got in trouble*

View attachment 5640

View attachment 5641

Not the huge interior guys many would expect. Also, not any great rushers, but they were all
sound and were physical that accumulated 40 in 2015 sacks. Big B loss hurt a lot. Hopefully, the young guys step up and can be productive. DE is still a little light if Owens is kicked to the inside to DT. Clayton is huge for us just simple depth and knowing the expectation, but need him to be THAT GUY early until the offense can find its identity

Where we do see the difference is at LB.
2015 has 3 LBs that were drafted in the 1st, 3rd & 4th rds. We need someone to step up drastically in order for the controlled chaos style of defense to work or it just be chaos.

DB is very comparable. Actually we are a lot bigger than these guys. UF group consisted of two 1st rounders and four 2nd rders. Our group will be exciting to watch as CGC is known as the DB whisperer

Style of defense

Here are some highlights that will give you an idea of what to expect from a CGC defense. The biggest is the cushion and when you do see a cushion you don’t see the DBs bailing hard afterwards. Also, look at the space btw defender and the receiver on ball arrival. That’s great skill and route recognition. Ahhh refreshing to see.

Here are some highlights
*sorry for the language*

Wanted to post this bc of Florida color rush uniforms for Supersize and gold1 lol. This also shows UF in a base 4-3 and it appears they are in a under front

Stats
2015View attachment 5642

View attachment 5643
I’ll do a break down of the spring game and some individual gms from the past as well

What did you guys want to see from the defense and what are your expectations?

A top 40 D would be a big time accomplishment for CGC next year.

That UF D is swarming, thumping, and balling in those highlights. Tight coverage and hot pressure on the QB. If Tech can get the kind of D CGC had at UF....Tech will win a lot of games down the road.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Fantastic breakdown, @Ibeeballin and thanks for doing that as well as your postgame report.

What I'd like to see - better fundamentals, for starters. Better open-field tackling, pursuit angles, etc. Also getting more heat on the QB would be a nice change. I'd like for 3rd and Long to become an advantage for us rather than nervously waiting for the opposition to make the Big Play/Conversion.

What I expect - many steps in this direction but lots of growing pains as well as deficiencies due to the inherited personnel that were recruited for a different style and scheme of D. But these kids are bright, eager and can/will learn this new system, I believe.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The only two stats the ultimately matter in determining how successful a defense is are (in this order):
1. PPP (aka PPD) - points per possession (aka points per drive): This tells the story much better than a simple "Total defense" number because it accounts for the different paces that different teams play at. We will probably have a significantly higher number of possessions to defend than we did in the CPJ years, so our total defense could look worse while our points per possession could be better. I like this better than sacks/TFL's/turnovers/etc because there are lots of different ways to be successful on defense (maybe a lot of sacks or turnovers or maybe a lot of 3 and outs). So, what I really want to know is where we stack up on this with the rest of the country. What is the PPP (or PPD) ranking?

2. YPP - yards per play: This also says a lot about how successful a defense is. The PPD stat could be affected by the starting field position (which is a product of special teams and offense more than the defense) and by turnovers or lackthereof (a lot of times turnovers have more to do with luck than with defensive play, which can change from year to year, ypp takes this out of the picture). What is the YPP ranking?

These are ultimately the only stats that matter for determining the level of success for any defense.

For now, since we can't really know anything about our D yet, I'd be interested in those rankings for MSU, UF, and Temple immediately before, during, and after CGC's time as DC/HC at those programs.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
A defense we as fans can look forward to watching, and opponents fear. It’ll take time, but I am willing to wait. I can’t rememebr the last time I was excited about our defense. 2009 maybe? Even then it had its holes.

It’s (hopefully) going to be an exciting next few years

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Ibeeballin, But I really don't know anything about UF did not watch them play at anytime . I only have two questions, I have we have been told we will run a fast pace offense which is fine till you have a few 3 and outs and the defense has to go back on the field. Question 1 what kind of offense did UF run those years? Question 2 do we really have the depth on defense for us to run a fast pace offense if we have a few 3 and outs?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Fantastic breakdown, @Ibeeballin and thanks for doing that as well as your postgame report.

What I'd like to see - better fundamentals, for starters. Better open-field tackling, pursuit angles, etc. Also getting more heat on the QB would be a nice change. I'd like for 3rd and Long to become an advantage for us rather than nervously waiting for the opposition to make the Big Play/Conversion.

What I expect - many steps in this direction but lots of growing pains as well as deficiencies due to the inherited personnel that were recruited for a different style and scheme of D. But these kids are bright, eager and can/will learn this new system, I believe.

This is not necessarily true. All the kids on the defense were recruited for even front defense.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We are going to be spending a lot of time in 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 nickel packages due to how spread heavy our opponents are. But even NFL defenses are starting to get lighter on the lines relatively speaking because of teams going 4 wide and the screen game. We may have a 4-3 over alignment but don't be surprised if its the nickle filling one of the LB slots to allow for better control over slots and tight ends.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks Ibeeballin, But I really don't know anything about UF did not watch them play at anytime . I only have two questions, I have we have been told we will run a fast pace offense which is fine till you have a few 3 and outs and the defense has to go back on the field. Question 1 what kind of offense did UF run those years? Question 2 do we really have the depth on defense for us to run a fast pace offense if we have a few 3 and outs?

That year, UF ran a spread offense in 2015. Wasn’t fast paced. They ran outside zone and the QB completed 8 passes. This was Mark Richt nail in the coffin
550DE612-56C1-4591-89DB-FC1B3250C07A.jpeg

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The only two stats the ultimately matter in determining how successful a defense is are (in this order):
1. PPP (aka PPD) - points per possession (aka points per drive): This tells the story much better than a simple "Total defense" number because it accounts for the different paces that different teams play at. We will probably have a significantly higher number of possessions to defend than we did in the CPJ years, so our total defense could look worse while our points per possession could be better. I like this better than sacks/TFL's/turnovers/etc because there are lots of different ways to be successful on defense (maybe a lot of sacks or turnovers or maybe a lot of 3 and outs). So, what I really want to know is where we stack up on this with the rest of the country. What is the PPP (or PPD) ranking?

2. YPP - yards per play: This also says a lot about how successful a defense is. The PPD stat could be affected by the starting field position (which is a product of special teams and offense more than the defense) and by turnovers or lackthereof (a lot of times turnovers have more to do with luck than with defensive play, which can change from year to year, ypp takes this out of the picture). What is the YPP ranking?

These are ultimately the only stats that matter for determining the level of success for any defense.

For now, since we can't really know anything about our D yet, I'd be interested in those rankings for MSU, UF, and Temple immediately before, during, and after CGC's time as DC/HC at those programs.

DPPD
13- 2.05 59th
14- 1.53 16th
15- 1.43 12th
16- 1.16 3rd

http://www.bcftoys.com/2016-ppd

DFEI tank @ae87 lane

13- MissSt rank 14th
14- MissSt rank 20th
15- UF- rank 22nd
16- UF rank 6th
17- TU rank 29th
18-TU rank 37th

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

YPP
2013-MSU- 5.45yds/play 58th
2014-MSU- 5.65- 73rd
2015-UF- 4.65- 8th
2016- UF- 4.66- 7th
2017- Temple- 5.4 51st
2018- Temple- 4.67 11th

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort02.html

Last edited: