Tech Defense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your use of army is valid if they play the gt style defense.
We played bend and they played aggressive. Army's defense was in OU backfield so much that at end the OU fans gave them a standing O.

In practice they probably mimic both so their offense was ready. When d seldom plays aggressive in game (gt) isn't it hard to mimic it in practice.

Why we couldnt play a mix of defenses will remain a mystery. The concept of get them off the field so we can run them till they are sovtired and confused never was given a chance. Imo, could have been great.

We get it.
U are defending the bend and break so u can scream i told u so on first blown coverage.
Defensive style is irrelevant. The question is does facing the option in spring hurt the D. I think it does to a lesser degree than most here. Our issues on D were widespread and centered on lack of talent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
5 year Def FEI averages for some other option teams-

GA Southern- 59.8
Navy- 87.8
New Mexico St.- 103.2
Air Force- 75

I think GA Southern has gone to more of a shotgun spread option in the past few years so i’m not sure how relevant they are to this discussion?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
hahah going back on the StingTalk thread, because hey it's a slow day at the office.. this guy cracks me up:

upload_2019-5-10_12-57-56.png

Also, what was with the avatar 33Jacket?

upload_2019-5-10_12-58-27.png

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
5 year Def FEI averages for some other option teams-

GA Southern- 59.8
Navy- 87.8
New Mexico St.- 103.2
Air Force- 75

I think GA Southern has gone to more of a shotgun spread option in the past few years so i’m not sure how relevant they are to this discussion?

there are still some leftover PJ-Southern fans hanging around the program. It explains the PJ-first,GT-second mentality of a few of 'em.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have heard coach Cutcliffe say that about the TO we ran and said it hurt our recruiting because DL did not want guys cutting their knees in practice and DB's did not see a lot of passing situations in practice. PJ actually did a good job of recruiting big receivers even knowing we didn’t throw but about 10 times a game. That was a difficult position to recruit in his offense as well. He did remarked well even with all the negativity.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
But wait, the Swillings are linebacker and corner?

Rb and cb. Lb is was a project. Never was sold on either. But i never publicly said that til now. Although i did think bjs would have been way further along than he is after we first saw him fill in for the human bounce off machine. I had alot of hope with him. But if those are the only two you can think of as good recruiting at those positions for the last 4 years it probably says alot and does!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that whole limiting possessions really sucked for our D.

I’m not naïve to think it had no effect. But I think it’s effect is completely overstated around here. Not to mention what I just stated above as a mitigating factor.

Oh. No the offense shoulda been great for the d on Gameday. But wasnt due to a facet of reasons mentioned prior. Thats all on paul.

Hopefully collins can fix us and in a year or two infuse more talent, we have better assistants and I know we will run a scheme finally so yeah i am hopeful we start making an impact on d

Of course. My view on our O is another thing. But we will see

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I (and I'm sure many others) am so weary of this whole discussion of CPJ's offense vs the defense, vs recruiting, etc., etc. Could we all just agree to limit all this discussion to this one specific thread (so I can avoid it) and mods can ban anyone that hijacks any other thread to this topic. Then we might avoid having three out of four threads having been thusly hijacked.