Tech/Cumberland U aka 222-0

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I saw it before the AJC article yesterday and sent it to a bunch of people at the athletics department. They really need to get this and put it on display with all the bowl trophies and such. Ryan Bamford e-mailed me back and said they're looking into how they can secure it. Haven't heard anything else back just yet

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Very smart move by Bobinksi from many angles. Use this bid and then afterwards use the ball as a fundraising item/talking point.

Loan it to the CFB HOF for its opening to get Tech's great history in CFB some attention and air time (Heisman and that Cumberland game, winning the "wrong way Riegels" Rose Bowl, etc.).

Use it for recruiting and again teaching Tech history and tradition. I don't care how young a kid is and how many years have passed since that era (close to 100); a football player knows the name of Heisman and will get a kick out of the background story to the biggest rout in CFB history.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
A thought, if an item like this could have just randomly passed across the country what other great stuff from Tech's past is out there to track down and get back to the Institute? The AA should always be ready to expand its collections, especially with the CFB HOF coming to town.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski talking about not being able to engage in a bidding war is a bit strange...

If Tech doesn't win this I'm going to be pretty disappointed. You don't even need the big donors to gather up enough money to win this thing. Let's say that it sold for $25,000 (which is almost as much as a football signed by the '66 Green Bay Packers Roster sold for, so this is probably on the high end)...what is that? $5 each from 5,000 season ticket holders? They could raise that money in no time.

They need to just buy it and worry about raising money to pay for it later on.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No reason for a bidding war. Just put in a bid in the last 10 seconds. You either win or you don't. I do it all the time buying stuff e-Bay that I want.

I have 12 GT footballs - this one would be the best by far.

BTW, I have GT team signed footballs from 2008 except for 2013. I have two 2014 footballs signed by the entire team and CPJ. If anyone has a 2013 football they'd like to trade, please PM me.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Also no reason to instigate anyone to try and make fake bids because they want to hose the AA because Bobinksi gives off an impression that they will spend "whatever it takes." I could see some dumb UGA fan trying that. I also would hope that any Tech fans involved don't try and outbid the AA.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree on the false bids thing...so it's better to just say "yeah, we're not going to get in a bidding war"

Last 10 seconds thing doesn't work for these types of auctions. The initial bidding period ends on 8/23...after that the auction follows a 15-minute rule. They extend the auction 15 minutes for each bid placed on any item in the auction (not just the ball). So if you place a bid on any item in the auction, the clock extends 15 minutes. This pretty much ensures that the ball will go for the highest price any bidder is willing to pay.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree on the false bids thing...so it's better to just say "yeah, we're not going to get in a bidding war"

Last 10 seconds thing doesn't work for these types of auctions. The initial bidding period ends on 8/23...after that the auction follows a 15-minute rule. They extend the auction 15 minutes for each bid placed on any item in the auction (not just the ball). So if you place a bid on any item in the auction, the clock extends 15 minutes. This pretty much ensures that the ball will go for the highest price any bidder is willing to pay.

Well, I guess I won't bid then :sneaky: The method you described is a better way to maximize a high sales price. The E-Bay way can be a good way to buy if you only bid at the end; but I've sold a lot of stuff on E-Bay too and it's not uncommon for there to be many bids on desirable items.

I think / hope a GT alum will buy and donate to GT. Great tax write-off. I know some who have donated $500K, so the football is chump change.