Team's Biggest Failure

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We can blame officiating, poor O line play, lack of pass rush, poor tackling, injuries, youth and inexperience, excessive penalties, clock management, place kicking, play calling, individual performance, KO coverage and returns, and others but the biggest team failure to me is we have not leaned how to win. That shows up in stats like third down conversions and stops and red zone scoring percentage, but the bigger issue was exemplified in the fourth Q of the Pitt game when we were only down by 6 with 8 minutes to go. Pitt starts on their 25 and marches 75 yards to score on 100% running plays consuming about 4 minutes and rarely needing third down to get another first down. We knew the game (score and time) was on the line and we knew Pitt was going to run. Yet we completely rolled over and failed in the most important drive of the game. We had a great opportunity for a chance to win but instead played the worst 4 minutes of the game on D. Until we learn how to win I do not see much improvement coming. This failure is both on the coaches and the players.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It all starts up front.

Maybe with Chimedzra back and Makius Scott transferring in to join Brooks, plus a year of development for Domineck, Kennard, Knight, & other promising young linemen we will have a more effective front that can stop the run and put heat on the QB. Whatever happened to Curtis Ryans? Did he get hurt? JaQuon Griffin seemed to come on late too.

Get a deeper, more talented front seven is biggest fix I see.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife blames me for everything around here so I'll take the blame if you are looking for someone.

1607890288300.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We can blame officiating, poor O line play, lack of pass rush, poor tackling, injuries, youth and inexperience, excessive penalties, clock management, place kicking, play calling, individual performance, KO coverage and returns, and others but the biggest team failure to me is we have not leaned how to win. That shows up in stats like third down conversions and stops and red zone scoring percentage, but the bigger issue was exemplified in the fourth Q of the Pitt game when we were only down by 6 with 8 minutes to go. Pitt starts on their 25 and marches 75 yards to score on 100% running plays consuming about 4 minutes and rarely needing third down to get another first down. We knew the game (score and time) was on the line and we knew Pitt was going to run. Yet we completely rolled over and failed in the most important drive of the game. We had a great opportunity for a chance to win but instead played the worst 4 minutes of the game on D. Until we learn how to win I do not see much improvement coming. This failure is both on the coaches and the players.
Put the blame where it belongs...if we want to play Clemson, Athens Correctional, Miami, FSU, and the like we have to start paying players. This, of course, is TIC but illustrates the difficulties facing any school with pretensions of academic and moral integrity. Outstanding to serviceable running backs, tight ends, receivers, safeties, are a dime a dozen but to get top flight defensive tackles, corners, and to some degree quarterbacks is a whole different ball game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You want to see some excitement? Check out CanesInsight Miami fans are in an absolute frenzy over Duh U giving up a school record 550 yards rushing with two, count em, backs rushing for over 200 yards, one of which gashed the Hurricanes for a school record 300 plus. Virtually none of what was posted would be allowed in a family friendly forum. Miami was ranked number 10 in the nation and got beat so bad many of their fans think the players had money on the game.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we gave up 260 yds to pitts rb but at least we didn’t give up 200+ yards to two rbs in the same game cough cough Miami

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think there is something to leaning how to win. It showed in the N.C. State game with the offsides penalties on the one yard line when they needed a TD to get back into the game. There are times when situations dictate that you need to produce to put yourself in position to win. That is how some teams tend to win close games. I think it may come with experience in a couple of years when we have more upperclassmen. It also comes from winning some close games which I hope we can do next year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes we seem totally unprepared at the start of the game. I believe that is our biggest failure.
I’m starting to agree with this thought. Many times in life people, especially successful people, forget that knowing your own weaknesses and constantly addressing those weaknesses is what made you successful in the first place. Collins has many, many strengths, but after 2 years at Temple and now 2 years at GT the same weaknesses have been noticed during his head coaching tenure.

If I could give coach one thought it would be to find someone, his version of ”Pete” from Moneyball, who he can rely on at a moments notice to manage the in game calls, ie. timeouts, going or not going for it, going for two, when to hurry/when to slow, etc. Collins has been dreadful at managing the game during the game. If he is going to continue to be the hype man and emotional counselor during the game then he needs someone he can rely on who actually pays attention to the game clock, the 40/25 second clock, down and distance, the score and its variations, etc.

I believe Collins can be a very good head coach of a program but he needs to acknowledge his shortcomings and address them before it’s too late. Hire a nerd with a clipboard and knowledge of the game to make those decisions. The top tier coaches all have guys they trust to make strong suggestions while the bullets are flying. Collins lets his emotions take over way to often during the game.