Team Ramblings - 6/25

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we have a great group of linebackers, which causes me to be confused to why we are running a 4-2-5 a lot. You would think that you want more linebackers on the field(especially when they are your best position on defense)
We play too many spread offenses that require more DBs on the field. Guys like Lewis that could either LB or DB are super valuable for us.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a great group of linebackers, which causes me to be confused to why we are running a 4-2-5 a lot. You would think that you want more linebackers on the field(especially when they are your best position on defense)
True, against the run you need your LBs. But 75% time last year we anticipated pass and you need your faster cover guys in the game, not your slower LBs.

Tech First

Jolly Good Fellow
I have nothing on Kallon.

Chungong could play SDE but Stargel has beat him out there before.

Lynch is an A back as far as I know and hes thicker than I expected.

Haven't seen Qua.
When you say you have nothing on Kallon. Do you mean you have nothing positive or negative to say or you just don't know anything about where he stands at this time. He is one I have had a lot of hope for..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, this is from the article on the post-spring depth chart:
"You worry about depth . . . you wonder about the inside depth," Pelton said. "Francis Kallon really hasn't progressed yet to the point where we need him to . . . and Pat missed 80 percent of the spring (Gamble was a passenger in a car accident that left him sidelined most of spring practice). He came back for the spring game and recovered two fumbles. He played decent on just a couple days of practice.​

"With him adding the weight we wanted him to add, it was going to be interesting to see if he could do it over a long period of time. He showed flashes."​

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I figured since I have been doing recruiting features lately a few of you guys might like to see one focused on the team..

To start it off all of the 2014 signees minus Myles Autry and Kenderius Whitehead.

I really like the frame of Jake Whitley and he has great size already...he does not look like he is a true Freshman. I would say he is close to the 300 range. He is someone that I expect to compete for playing time this season.

Michael Preddy had surgery awhile back but he is getting close to being ready to go...expect him to redshirt this year.

The other offensive lineman that I originally though would play this season was Jake Stickler. He has has a a huge frame but he needs to add on a good bit of weight...He looks to be in the 6'6 range.

One that the coaches love is Antonio Simmons. They really feel like they got a big steal in him...you can tell he has been working hard to add on weight...he is in very good shape but still has a lot more room to add on weight.

A couple of other offensive lineman arrived at Tech in good shape in Gary Brown and Trey Klock.

The signees started workouts on Monday.

The team has been doing 7 on 7 workouts in the off-season and compeiting against other local schools like they have in the past.

This group is more of a less talk more action...you won't see a ton of them posting things on Twitter about 7 on 7's or how they are working...but the team has been working hard this off-season.

I still have a lot of confidence in Justin Thomas and expect him to be our guy next season...not a knock against Tim Byerly at all, I just think that Thomas is going to be very good. They all get along well together and have been doing a good job of teaching what they know to Matthew Jordan...I have heard good things on Jordan from his fellow teammates.

Having said that there are some that still think Byerly will end up being the guy...I will say he has been busting his tail in the off-season.

Of course we all know that Zach Laskey is going to be the workhorse but the question mark is the depth behind him..I still have more faith in Matt Connors than I do in Donovan Wilson. I have been told that the #2 spot is still wide open and the chance for CJ Leggett to win that job is there for him.

We have some good competition going on at the WR spot with Waller, Smelter, Summers and Autry.

On the offensive line a lot of the guys have been working hard to drop weight...and none harder than Shamire Devine. He has been seeing more than just one session a day with Sisk...I have been pleased with his effort this off-season. Not sure what his weight is down to but the work is being put in by him....The lowest we will see him get is about 335-340 IMO...Unfortunately another guy on the OL that needs to drop weight isn't putting in the work like he should be...Due to the people who read this board I will leave out the name but is is not too hard to guess.

The latest I have heard on Chase Roberts is they expect him to get cleared but they are not sure if he is going to continue his career.

Still continue to hear good things on Darius Commissiong...Coach I talked to really feels like is going to be a difference maker down the road.

Coaches are not worried about the DT spot and neither am I.

The one spot to be concerned about is WDE...KeShun Freeman has a bright future ahead of him but he may be tossed into the fire a little sooner than we would like...as of know Rod Chungong is still the starter...but I do not have a ton of faith in him getting after the quarterback..we have a ton riding on Kenderius Whitehead and he is putting in all the work he can to handle what he has to.

May not be a harder worker on the team than Tyler Stargel.

Another one that has been adding weight this off-season is Patrick Gamble.

Isaiah Johnson
is back healthy and most importantly he is trusting himself again..do not see any hesitation coming from him....same goes for Jamal Golden.

As I posted awhile back that my breakout player this year is Tyler Marcordes...The coaches think the same. He looks like a different guy from two years ago. Has a NFL body now. Would not surprise me to see him end up in the league when his time at Tech is done.

The concerns for me is still the OL...I am fine with the starting group of Chris Griffin, Trey Braun, Freddie Burden and Shaq Mason..but the other tackle and overall depth really concerns me. We really need some true Freshmen to step up and if nothing add some depth.

Other than that on offense B back depth is a concern.

On defense I love the LB group of Marcordes, Nealy, McNair, Harrell and PJ Davis.

We have a lot riding on Kenderius Whitehead.
it is VERY scary that your last statement is SO true-a lot is riding on Whitehead-not only have we not seen him in action here but we don't ABSOLUTELY know he will get in school for this season

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Donavan would have to be significantly better than Matt to beat the experience in position. If anywhere equal, Matt wins with experience.

Now you may ask why not invest in the future if all things equal. By the time we are in ACC play Donavan would have the experience required.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
B backs have to make pre snap reads on where tbe meshpoint is just like the QB. They also have blocking duties that are important. Conners is a vet who will get these things right.

IMO will be hard for Donovan or Leggett to be as effective as Conners this year. Conners isn't the sexy choice as backup but he wont come into the game and make mistakes that cause turnovers and kill drives.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Donavan would have to be significantly better than Matt to beat the experience in position. If anywhere equal, Matt wins with experience.

Now you may ask why not invest in the future if all things equal. By the time we are in ACC play Donavan would have the experience required.
It may just be me but I have not seen anything(from HS tape , offer sheet from other D1 schools, performance in spring) that makes me think he will be
more than depth here.I pull for every player and hope it is just me. We could do alot worse than Matt.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i still say leggett sees the field...i think he will show out in fall

Eric, can you get an updated weight from Stargel. I like the fact he is a hard worker but nothing helps more in his position than strength, leverage and about 265lbs to do it....240 can get worn down there vs power and outside zone teams...I know, i know, its not all weight, but good weight with his effort is much better than lesser weight with the same effort!!!!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the off season gold colored glasses, but I think between Whitehead, Stargell, and Freeman, someone will come through for us.

He says he is at 290.
Can he play with speed and stamina and get after it at 290lbs.

Going up against ACC competition, playing at even 5 lbs. too heavy can affect some players.

For Gamble to go from 270lbs. to about 290lbs. is going to impact his speed and stamina.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Can he play with speed and stamina and get after it at 290lbs.

Going up against ACC competition, playing at even 5 lbs. too heavy can affect some players.

For Gamble to go from 270lbs. to about 290lbs. is going to impact his speed and stamina.

Thats why we have a S&C program...do you want him to stay at 270?

Thats why we have a S&C program...do you want him to stay at 270?
No.

The reason I asked that question is the fact that Kallon put on a lot of weight and was very ineffective afterwards, and in fact the huge weight gain that Kallon experienced might have delayed his development.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Gamble is 6'5", 270 on him is thin. He can play at 290 with no issue at all. Adding 20lbs on muscle is much different than 20lbs of sloth. That's what a S&C program is all about!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Both Kallon & Gamble are Mountains meant for 3-4 DE's but with the scheme change now play inside. It will be interesting to watch 2 DT that tall.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Both Kallon & Gamble are Mountains meant for 3-4 DE's but with the scheme change now play inside. It will be interesting to watch 2 DT that tall.
Raaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

PREPARING-FOR-BIG-TED1.jpg

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No.

The reason I asked that question is the fact that Kallon put on a lot of weight and was very ineffective afterwards, and in fact the huge weight gain that Kallon experienced might have delayed his development.

Kallons problems have nothing to do with weight. Lol. They have to do with want not weight. He needs to become a football player not a soccer player.