Film Room Tax 7 Defense Slow Motions

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Either this was stunt with Simmons/Gamble and Gamble didn't wrap around to the outside or Simmons freelanced on this play. Easy 1st down with back half in man coverage
I think Gamble was executing the twist stunt with St. Amour on the right side. It's Kallon that didn't wrap around on the left side with Simmons going inside. Simmons does a great job getting heat on the QB (he's alone in this regard), and if Kallon had been there to contain, it could've been a nice sack opportunity. That seems the most likely call, but can't be 100% sure.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
92 didn't cut hard outside like he was supposed to. If he had fought outside the way 91 does, he'd be in position to either make the tackle or massively redirect the QB.

Refs could've flagged 18 for block in the back / unnecessary roughness on Brant.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think Gamble was executing the twist stunt with St. Amour on the right side. It's Kallon that didn't wrap around on the left side with Simmons going inside. Simmons does a great job getting heat on the QB (he's alone in this regard), and if Kallon had been there to contain, it could've been a nice sack opportunity. That seems the most likely call, but can't be 100% sure.

Didn't realize that was Kallon. Just say the body types and assume that was Gamble, but yeah that has to be the call.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
92 didn't cut hard outside like he was supposed to. If he had fought outside the way 91 does, he'd be in position to either make the tackle or massively redirect the QB.

Refs could've flagged 18 for block in the back / unnecessary roughness on Brant.

That flag should've been thrown

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Interesting D lineup. Gray is in the box with no coverage and no one blocks him (he plays this well until he over pursues and misses the tackle). Mitchell is in man coverage in the box on the slot receiver (and does get blocked in the back). Surely we have a better coverage plan for the slot receiver. Simmons most often makes his best pass rush with an inside move so I would expect PJ to blitz outside or make sure that DT loops outside. Notice how often Simmons gets good pressure inside chasing the passer outside, but we do a poor job of contain planning.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Interesting D lineup. Gray is in the box with no coverage and no one blocks him (he plays this well until he over pursues and misses the tackle). Mitchell is in man coverage in the box on the slot receiver (and does get blocked in the back). Surely we have a better coverage plan for the slot receiver. Simmons most often makes his best pass rush with an inside move so I would expect PJ to blitz outside or make sure that DT loops outside. Notice how often Simmons gets good pressure inside chasing the passer outside, but we do a poor job of contain planning.

This coverage called 1 robber. Gray is hook/curl zone defender player and "robbing" any drag routes or in breaking routes of intermediate depth. The only mistake he made was sliding over quicker as the QB rolled out

Brant is covering the RB out the backfield. LBs will 99% of the time 3rd receiver to their side that just so happens to the RB

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This coverage called 1 robber. Gray is hook/curl zone defender player and "robbing" any drag routes or in breaking routes of intermediate depth. The only mistake he made was sliding over quicker as the QB rolled out

Brant is covering the RB out the backfield. LBs will 99% of the time 3rd receiver to their side that just so happens to the RB

You are correct. Brant is covering the RB and not the slot. Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. This is the down side of man coverage when you lose containment and give the QB extra time: defenders wind up chasing receivers and lose sight of the path of the ball.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
With their mobile QB I would have expected PJ to "spy" him more than delayed blitz inside.

The plus side to the tighter man coverage was there was nowhere to go with the ball. Granted, it's frustrating to give up the first down but I like the call. Be the hammer.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The more I focus on Simmons opportunities the more I like his game.

Should be and Freeman switch sides more and have
Simmons coming from the blind side more?

Whichever side Simmons is on there is a very good chance he makes a quick inside move applying pressure in the middle and forcing the QB outside. We need to have that contained with somebody. IMO, based on our past tendencies, if we blitz a LB we should often blitz outside on Simmon's side (or have Simmons rush outside and blitz the LB just inside Simmons.
Simmons is the guy that will apply the first pressure and we should combine him with our blitz plan..