Film Room Tax 17 Offense Slow Motions

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Good play by the safety. This is where CPJ calls this play like 5 times till the safety is feeling like a big ole tough guy having stuffed it 5 times then all of a sudden we're running a wheel route right by him with nothing but green in front of us.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Good play by the safety. This is where CPJ calls this play like 5 times till the safety is feeling like a big ole tough guy having stuffed it 5 times then all of a sudden we're running a wheel route right by him with nothing but green in front of us.

Safety or deep LB? I can't tell where he lined up originally, looks like 2 safeties/CB in the original set. Can't think they were in nickle

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Safety or deep LB? I can't tell where he lined up originally, looks like 2 safeties/CB in the original set. Can't think they were in nickle
LOL, I was trying to figure out what to call it. I think it's stacked LB's. It's the Miami (deep mlb set) run out of a 3-4, i think.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There were 3 dudes lined up in front of the center and we blocked nary a one.

Disagree. We blocked everyone but the guy that crashed down to make the tackle. Will cut a Lb beautifully. Burden cut the NT who did a pretty decent job of fending it off, but still managed to barely get a finger on Mills. LT and AB double teamed the RDE.

Parker did seem to miss the tackler but the guy he went for probably makes the tackle instead even if he hadn't. UK was selling out to stop the run on 1st down, and we still managed to make a yard and nearly got a couple more. Good tackle by that UK S/DB/LB/BB (whatever the heck he was playing)...he delivered a nice hit.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Love #3's fake pitch reception. Love it. Carrying out those kinds of fakes can only help. I honestly don't know why we don't do more of that. Sometimes all it takes is one guy on D to think twice about whether the A-back actually got the ball or not...and the actual ball carrier is off and running.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you about carrying out fakes. JeT didn't do this very well. Like on this play he looked back almost immediately after a hand off. Freeze defender a step can mean extra 2 to 4 yards.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. We blocked everyone but the guy that crashed down to make the tackle. Will cut a Lb beautifully. Burden cut the NT who did a pretty decent job of fending it off, but still managed to barely get a finger on Mills. LT and AB double teamed the RDE.

Parker did seem to miss the tackler but the guy he went for probably makes the tackle instead even if he hadn't. UK was selling out to stop the run on 1st down, and we still managed to make a yard and nearly got a couple more. Good tackle by that UK S/DB/LB/BB (whatever the heck he was playing)...he delivered a nice hit.
On second look, (not on my phone this time) Will did take out the MLB nicely. Freddie whiffed on the NT going right between and under his legs. The NT and the S made the tackle. Nobody touched the S.

Parker ran right by the guy who made the tackle (S). Now I have no idea who his assigned target was, but why in the world would anybody run right by a guy in perfect position to make a tackle when you have a chance to take him out? Imo, that's a play design flaw if, in fact, he's supposed to ignore the first guy he sees in the hole and hit the guy behind him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
JT never looked at the DL for an option key, so this appears to have been a called dive. I would think Parker's assignment would be the first free guy he sees, but I have no who the OL are assigned to.

However, with the KY stacking the box the way they did on this play, I would have thought JT would have checked off to another play. As it is, if Braun clips the safety on the way to the other safety, Burden may have got enough of the NT to allow Mills to bust for 10-15 yards (or more). The NT got a hand on Mills, but I don't know if that would have been enough to slow him down.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
JT never looked at the DL for an option key, so this appears to have been a called dive. I would think Parker's assignment would be the first free guy he sees, but I have no who the OL are assigned to.

However, with the KY stacking the box the way they did on this play, I would have thought JT would have checked off to another play. As it is, if Braun clips the safety on the way to the other safety, Burden may have got enough of the NT to allow Mills to bust for 10-15 yards (or more). The NT got a hand on Mills, but I don't know if that would have been enough to slow him down.

I don't know how much freedom JT has to change plays - CPJ often calls a dive like this as sort of "check" play to see who is doing what on defense.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how much freedom JT has to change plays - CPJ often calls a dive like this as sort of "check" play to see who is doing what on defense.

I would expect that JT had a fair amount of latitude. It could be he had a play or two in reserve, but judged they would no more effective and so stayed with the relatively safe option of a straight handoff.