Film Room Tax 15 Offense Slow Motions

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Stewart was pretty open on the drag/dig. Jeune was still a good choice because he had the guy beat with good inside position. It could've been a big play with just putting the ball anywhere on the inside. I actually think this was a valuable one to show, because it may be the worst pass I've every seen Justin make - and I must have blocked it from my memory. I only have a romanticized version of him up there now, like Joe Ham. This helps keep things in perspective for the next QB and the first time he makes a bad pass.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure who the B-back was ( and it don't matter) but don't like to see that kind of block on a pass, stay up and block on a pass play.

I've found that using cut blocks in pass protection by a RB is quite common, in any offense. I don't have a feel for the percentage of time the cut block is used, and I'm sure it depends greatly on the blocking skills of the RB, but you do see it quite a bit. I've always assumed it was because the RB was probably a mediocre blocker and cutting the defender ensures at least a few seconds for the QB to throw and reduces the number of players blocking the QB's vision and throwing windows.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if we can run the ab on more of a slant route or a stop.

We run the straight fly exclusively IMO.

I watch the line play but distinctly remember this exact play against clemson. The first time it worked but the second time it was well covered. We needed about10 yds on the second play and the defender gave him a big cushion and we ran the play into the coverage= punt.

Here we had other ab 83 cut under so a slight slant to open side might be an easier pass to complete.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I've found that using cut blocks in pass protection by a RB is quite common, in any offense. I don't have a feel for the percentage of time the cut block is used, and I'm sure it depends greatly on the blocking skills of the RB, but you do see it quite a bit. I've always assumed it was because the RB was probably a mediocre blocker and cutting the defender ensures at least a few seconds for the QB to throw and reduces the number of players blocking the QB's vision and throwing windows.

When you are giving up 100 pounds the cut block helps you hold your position (and not get steam rolled back into the pocket/QB at least temporarily). The cut block is somewhat an equalizer when there is such a size/strength mismatch. And at the point of contact the pass rusher has another advantage, usually has more momentum than the blocker. Downside is the cut block only holds off the pass rusher for a short amount of time, not indefinitely as you would like.

In the sixties the smaller players were taught the cross body block followed by the crab and maybe roll into the shins. Initial contact is with the hip, not shoulders. You do not see that block much any more but it does help the undersized at least really aggravate the defender.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Wonder if we can run the ab on more of a slant route or a stop.

We run the straight fly exclusively IMO.

I think part of the reason why is because the defense is usually either charging the potential ball carriers or moving laterally and the fly route let's the AB zip right on by, as shown in the clip. If the receiver is going to blow past the defender, why do anything other than maximize the distance between the two? I think it'd be a different story if the LB or safeties were bailing into the secondary at the snap.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I remember this play watching from the stadium. Jeune would have had 5-10 yards separation and maybe an auto-TD if not for the hold. Good decision by their DB.