TaQuon highlights and 2018 Hype Video

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like em.
The only thing about the music is if you can use the clean versions next go around.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
TM will be better than last year if:
a) he and his battery mates are not brand new starters.... check
b) the schedule is less rigorous.... check
c) the defense is better.... tbd but likely
d) the kicking game is better.... tbd but likely
e) kick coverage is better.... tbd but likely
f) less monsoons on game day.... tbd but likely
g) less injuries to the OL.... tbd but likely
h) makes better reads in the option... tbd but likely
i) passing game improves.... tbd but likely

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Yeah it's hard to find an area on the team where we don't anticipate either being on par or ahead of last year. The biggest departures are on defense, but we still have a lot of experienced and talented guys to step up, and I'm super excited to see what Woody does with them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it's hard to find an area on the team where we don't anticipate either being on par or ahead of last year. The biggest departures are on defense, but we still have a lot of experienced and talented guys to step up, and I'm super excited to see what Woody does with them.
The point of my post was to point out that most of those things have little or nothing to do with TM improving anything. Reads and passing have the most to do with his individual performance and both of those things are still highly dependent on his teammates. TM was reading the option much better early in the year when the LOS wasn't getting blown up every play and when defenders weren't faster than our offensive skill players. TM was passing better early in the year when the LOS wasn't getting blown up every play and when defenders weren't faster than our offensive skill players.

I don't give him a pass on his shortcomings. He has room for improvement. I think he will. Experience and familiarity with his surrounding cast will go a long way in making him better. Hard work and film study will do the rest. His mates will have to get better around him, as well, if we hope to be better as an offense.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think we’re going to see a big improvement from TQ and we will win 8 games but my biggest worry is getting meaningful reps to the backup QB’s. We can go into 2019 with a QB that’s only taken 5 snaps and expect to be any better than our 2017 record.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll admit that I’ve been harsh in my judgment of TaQuon. Given his background and experience, it may have been a bit ambitious to expect him to have a firm grasp of the reads and execution in his second year at QB and his first year starting. If Matthew Jordan, who had two more years of option QB practice and a start against VT, wasn’t ready then it wasn’t TaQuon’s fault. However, my expectations will be high again this year. This time, TaQuon is going to have another offseason of practice as well as a season of starting experience under his belt. If he’s no better at the option or passing reads, then we might as well play someone younger and build for the future.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

I agree there is a lot to be determined, but I think your eternal optimism may be showing by adding “but likely”...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ll admit that I’ve been harsh in my judgment of TaQuon. Given his background and experience, it may have been a bit ambitious to expect him to have a firm grasp of the reads and execution in his second year at QB and his first year starting. If Matthew Jordan, who had two more years of option QB practice and a start against VT, wasn’t ready then it wasn’t TaQuon’s fault. However, my expectations will be high again this year. This time, TaQuon is going to have another offseason of practice as well as a season of starting experience under his belt. If he’s no better at the option or passing reads, then we might as well play someone younger and build for the future.

I use to get down on players for not being All-ACC every play, but I came to realize those guys are few and far between. Even then, you won't get All ACC every play (as we saw with the Megatron and BayBay dropsies every now and again). QB is such a hard position, and it's dependent on the teammates that surround them. There's also the coaching factor, and development factor.

In 2013, GT had both Vad Lee and Justin Thomas on the roster. Gifted with hindsight, we all know how that ended. Sometimes coaches have to go with "the best man for right now". I think we all now feel Justin was the better guy for our offense in the long term given several different factors (on the field and off). But at the time, when both were eligible to play, Vad was the best option for CPJ in 2013...otherwise, CPJ would not have played Vad. I don't always agree with some of CPJ's decisions, but I do agree that he puts the best guy out there (at least on offense).

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Taquan towards the back of half of the season. Taquan against UT to start the season gave all of us a LOT to look forward to. You just don't go downhill in performance all of sudden after a performance like that. I think weather had a lot to do with it...and I think he'll continue to struggle playing in the rain as defenses will not respect our passing in the rain and will sell out against the run. Taquan has some tools to work with, and he can be very good if development progression trends up. However, GT has some talented guys behind him. It will be interesting to see how the QB competition plays out in 2018.