Talked to a few GT players

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Doesn't say anything about, CPJ... infers to me that they weren't all that impressed (in hind sight) with the previous Defensive Coordinators.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't want to name players. But I was in summer classes and am friends with a freshman starter(hint hint) and if know a few other young guys(mostly freshman). They concensus from talking to them is that they like roof and are excited about this defense in the coming years. Most of them also say Johnson is an ***. Nothing bad about his coaching really, just that he's very blunt and not very personable at all

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much what I think of Johnson, just by watching him on Television. Honestly I think most players have picked GT because of the level of education and the history. I think we have gotten solid 3 stars and the occasional 4 stars despite johnson...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't want to name players. But I was in summer classes and am friends with a freshman starter(hint hint) and if know a few other young guys(mostly freshman). They concensus from talking to them is that they like roof and are excited about this defense in the coming years. Most of them also say Johnson is an ***. Nothing bad about his coaching really, just that he's very blunt and not very personable at all

holy cow... does that mean you were born in '95??? congrats on getting into Tech.

gtdrew

Banned
If that's true, it's a new development. I've heard from several guys from CPJ's first few years that he was very "down to earth" and they could go talk to him anytime about on-and-off field issues. Like, girlfriend stuff and classes...

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the freshman starter thinks he's an *** because CPJ doesn't tolerate missed field goals and kicking it out of bounds. He thinks special teams should be automatic. Kickoffs are not unlike a tee shot in golf. You control everything, so an errant shot falls on one guy.

CPJ has said a few times our freshman starter has the talent to play on Sundays - something I have never heard him say about an 18 year old ever at least on our team. Maybe CPJ is holding our freshman starter to a higher standard and that standard is perfection. How many other spots on the entire team do we have the talent to demand perfection? Quick answer is none, not even our best players (though I will be a little pissed if Sammy Watkins wins a jump ball over Jamea.) Whether CPJ cares or not, he respects the guy enough to start him over a 5th year senior.

All this being said I am a huge fan of the starter. For once in a long while I get excited when we kick off because it will either be a touchback or we force the guy to return the ball from no mans land (goal line near the corner of the endzone.) As a fan I'm glad we don't have to think about going for it on 4th and 5 from the 35 because we have a guy who can drill a 52 yarder in his sleep. I'm even willing to forgive misses on PATs, Field Goals and kickoffs out of bounds because he's a freshman and he'll likely be automatic in the future - even the GT record holder for points in a career because of starting so early and how many TDs we put on crap opponents. Can't wait to draft him on my fantasy team. I'm forgiving because I know CPJ will make him run stadium stairs like it's his job for every mistake. I'm glad to hear CPJ isn't handling this guy with kid gloves.

PS - Hopefully I got the right guy, otherwise excuse the rant

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
While I do feel he has genuine concern for his students, I thought it was widely known CPJ is kinda of an a-hole. It's fine for a coach to be one as long as they can still recruit and win at a high level. Which is where the train derails with CPJ.

ToddM

I like both our new kicker and CPJ. I cannot tell you how many Ga fans tell me that they wish their guy had our guys attitude.

On the flip side of our kickers thoughts, didn't he visit with CPJ go to two other schools and then call as he was driving home to say he had picked Tech ? If he did this, which I think I read on the day he committed, then he had to of liked the staff. You don't visit an ******* and commit to 4 more years with him.

The other thing is that a lot of High School kids get the big head as they are often the only one on the team getting major college attention. If he did get this treatment he didn't get yelled at a lot. Under CPJ you are gonna get yelled at when you screw up, that's why I like him ! It's a show of expectations.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's a difference between being blunt and being an a--hole. Blunt means refusing to sugarcoat the truth. A--hole is going to a restaurant and yelling at a server for no reason. CPJ is blunt.

Agreed. Too bad kids nowadays can't tell the difference. They think you're supposed to be ok with every stupid thing they say or do since they're "keepin' it 100".

Man I feel old. Get off my lawn!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Navy guys would run through brick walls for him. I guess it's just a different kind of person that is attracted to "tough love." Today's prima donna SA's want to be sung to like Richt does.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The Navy guys would run through brick walls for him. I guess it's just a different kind of person that is attracted to "tough love." Today's prima donna SA's want to be sung to like Richt does.

I'm sure part of that was the fact that Johnson elevated the Navy program to a level it had not reached since the days of Roger Staubach.