Taking my son to his 1st game!

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
So I am excited to say I will be taking my 4 year old son to his first game this weekend. I am hoping this will start a long tradition for us both. Wanted to ask if anyone had suggestions for the best spot to try and sit for various reasons (weather, view of field, proximity to bathrooms, etc). Also anything fun to do with a 4 year at or around stadium. I know where I like to be but trying to make best experience for him.
Thanks for any advice

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
West stands will be in the shade. Go early and show him the frat displays although they are lame when compared to the 60's. Same for wreck parade.

And, the West stands gives the best view of the skyline, which will be lit up at dusk by the end of the game. He oughtta like that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really can't remember how old my kids were when I took them but I think about 6 or 7 years old. 4 seems pretty young you may not make the whole game. As far as where to sit, I sit in the West but he could have a hard time seeing over people. I have not been in the North maybe someone could tell you if it would be better with a 4 year old you may want some room . Hope you enjoy your time with your son.
The good my daughter still comes to the games with me and she is 40 now. The Bad I still have to pay for her season tickets.

Animal02

Banned
So I am excited to say I will be taking my 4 year old son to his first game this weekend. I am hoping this will start a long tradition for us both. Wanted to ask if anyone had suggestions for the best spot to try and sit for various reasons (weather, view of field, proximity to bathrooms, etc). Also anything fun to do with a 4 year at or around stadium. I know where I like to be but trying to make best experience for him.
Thanks for any advice
Toward the north endzone in the west stands........view of the band....good view of the wreck exiting the tunnel.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Frozen lemonades and cotton candy and be prepared to leave early. But it is a great experience.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My son is 3 1/2. I've been taking him since last season. My son doesn't really follow the game. He thinks it's cool to see the men running around in uniform but doesn't get the rules or the score. So, I really take him for the pomp and circumstance to see the Wreck and the band. We usually leave before halftime and go get ice cream. I watch the rest of the game on the DVR at home.

We sit on the Northeast side - section 221. It's not the best for the sun (but with a 3 year old we're not likely sitting in our seats for long stretches.) Our section overlooks the corner where the team and the Wreck come out. We also are looking over the North student section where Buzz is most often. He enjoys spotting Buzz and the antics. We walk around some and look at different things.

You didn't mention transport, but for me, getting there easy (and having a quick escape if or when his patience runs out :)) is key. We usually park in the 'ATT A deck'. It's a block from the tunnel under 75/85 (another thing he thinks is cool). Which puts you right on Bobby Dodd way a block from the stadium, Yellow Jacket alley, etc. My son gets a kick out of riding the Marta train sometimes too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Reading this stuff reminds me of how I wish I'd had a son (or daughter) to take to the game. You guys are so lucky. It's one thing in life that I missed out on...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Wait 15 years. Then the little bugg … sorry, the fine young man … will start caging your season tickets off you to go to the games. And you'll give them up, slowly but surely.

Ah, well. We all have to be replaced sooner or later.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’d start with flask concealment training prior to the game to get you thru security. Pizza or candy should suffice for a positive effort.

Promise him something every time GT scores a TD. Worked wonders with my son. I plied him with ice cream. Unfortunately his first game we scored 7, so I was deep in the hole after game 1.

Recommend teaching to piss on a stump or fire hydrant so he’ll be able to navigate the trough.” successfully.

Make sure you visit the bookstore and buy him a bunch of stuff.

The last part has to do with your status:

a. If you’re trolling, find a hot 30-35 y/o to sit near.

b. If you’re not, aim for the 45-55 y/o’s or older. They’ll entertain him for you for part of the game. Men over 65 works sometimes as well as long as they’re not the over entitled types.

You’ll have a blast. Man I miss those days. Now he’s much more expensive and he takes losing about as well as his Father.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I’d start with flask concealment training prior to the game to get you thru security. Pizza or candy should suffice for a positive effort.

Promise him something every time GT scores a TD. Worked wonders with my son. I plied him with ice cream. Unfortunately his first game we scored 7, so I was deep in the hole after game 1.

Recommend teaching to piss on a stump or fire hydrant so he’ll be able to navigate the trough.” successfully.

Make sure you visit the bookstore and buy him a bunch of stuff.

The last part has to do with your status:

a. If you’re trolling, find a hot 30-35 y/o to sit near.

b. If you’re not, aim for the 45-55 y/o’s or older. They’ll entertain him for you for part of the game. Men over 65 works sometimes as well as long as they’re not the over entitled types.

You’ll have a blast. Man I miss those days. Now he’s much more expensive and he takes losing about as well as his Father.
Absolute solid advice on all fronts LOL

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thanks for any advice
My father took me to my first game about 50 years ago. I thought the gold and white were the coolest and here I still am. Here’s to hoping your son had similar memories.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
Took my granddaughter to the spring game. She loved it. As we left - during the 4th qtr, no less - she said "When are you going to take me to a real game?" I said, "We'll have to wait until this fall." She said, "Aw, you mean they don't play tomorrow?"
She'll see her first "real game" in November.

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well you know your time is nigh when you start hallucinating because I have seen Buzz (the mascot right?) at every game.

He is, it seems, involved differently than before but pretty sure he has been there.