Taking Kids to BDS

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking for any tips or information on bringing my 2 year old to BDS this year. We didn't go to any games last year, and we brought him to 1 game in 2019 when he was 6 weeks old (a win!). From what I understand, he doesn't need his own ticket, but would ticket takers keep us from bring food in for him? Is there still a stroller pen? Any other information would be great.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking for any tips or information on bringing my 2 year old to BDS this year. We didn't go to any games last year, and we brought him to 1 game in 2019 when he was 6 weeks old (a win!). From what I understand, he doesn't need his own ticket, but would ticket takers keep us from bring food in for him? Is there still a stroller pen? Any other information would be great.
A security guy let me bring in some snacks for my son once, but I got the impression it wasn’t really allowed. Regardless, I’d say plan on feeding him lots of snacks for when he gets bored. It really depends on the kid. My daughter would sit through a game at 2 and have a blast, but my 6 year old son still hasn’t made it through a half without wanting to leave and/or driving me nuts. I think they might have stopped doing the stroller pen, but I’m not sure.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I started taking my son when he was 2 (He's 5 now :oops:).

He loves trains, so we always ride Marta down from Lindbergh. Which is easy parking on Saturdays. If you get off at North Ave and go out the north exit to 3rd street, it's a block to the tunnel under 75/85 and then you're pretty much right at Callaway Plaza. We always go early to see the band and the pageantry. He LOVES watching the Wreck drive out and the cheerleaders and everything. Could not care less about the game though - why are bunch of grownups running around and hitting each other? So, we've never made it to halftime. We go see the fun stuff, watch as much of the game as he has patience and I catch the rest of the game on the DVR when we get home.

We've been able to 'sneak in' some obvious kid's snacks without much trouble in the past. But, like a baggy of cheerios not a big picnic. But we didn't go at all last year, so they might be more strict.

We have season tix, so I don't know about whether he needs a ticket. If you're buying tickets, I recommend sections 222-224 northeast visitor side upper deck, in a low row. Has the best view of the Wreck coming out and it's the easiest in/out from Callaway Plaza. It's rarely full or crowded so you can spread out a little.

Have fun!

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I started taking my son when he was 2 (He's 5 now :oops:).

He loves trains, so we always ride Marta down from Lindbergh. Which is easy parking on Saturdays. If you get off at North Ave and go out the north exit to 3rd street, it's a block to the tunnel under 75/85 and then you're pretty much right at Callaway Plaza. We always go early to see the band and the pageantry. He LOVES watching the Wreck drive out and the cheerleaders and everything. Could not care less about the game though - why are bunch of grownups running around and hitting each other? So, we've never made it to halftime. We go see the fun stuff, watch as much of the game as he has patience and I catch the rest of the game on the DVR when we get home.

We've been able to 'sneak in' some obvious kid's snacks without much trouble in the past. But, like a baggy of cheerios not a big picnic. But we didn't go at all last year, so they might be more strict.

We have season tix, so I don't know about whether he needs a ticket. If you're buying tickets, I recommend sections 222-224 northeast visitor side upper deck, in a low row. Has the best view of the Wreck coming out and it's the easiest in/out from Callaway Plaza. It's rarely full or crowded so you can spread out a little.

Have fun!
Thanks for the info. If I come to the games alone, I ride MARTA, but we're on the southside, so I'm not sure about my son riding with me up from College Park.

I talked to my ticket rep, and he said as long as they're sitting in your lap, young kids don't need their own ticket.

Tamit17

Georgia Tech Fan
Once a kid is 3, they need their own ticket. Also I'd recommend using a baby-carrier like an Ergobaby or similar instead of a stroller. The clear bag policy limits how much you can bring into the stadium anyway so I think having a stroller would be way too much of a hassle. We would just wear our kid and load up the clear bag with an empty sippy cup and whatever necessities needed out of our normal diaper bag.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
My first game was 2008 when I was 8. Paul’s first game. I think a night game is better for kids, not as hot, and if they are like me they will sleep the whole time on the way home.

Brown ME '92

Georgia Tech Fan
Several years ago when my children were that small, we sat in the north stands/end zone. There is a private elevator entrance designated for the lettermen's club. It is to the right of the main north entrance. They allowed you to keep the stroller in that elevator lobby and you didn't need to wait in the long line at the main gate. It is a privilege of raising a child in the proper ways of all things Georgia Tech. I don't get to use that entrance anymore since my kids are grown.

slugboy

Staff member
as someone else said, be ready to buy lots of ice cream and be prepared to leave at half time
We stopped at the Varsity at halftime, sometimes with my dad too. Fried pie or FO. There were a lot of noon games, and my son was worn out by the second quarter.
There’s only so much explaining of the game you can do before the lesson is over. It’s still fun, even when it feels so strange to abandon a game at the half. Sometimes, I’d hear the last two minutes of the game when I got in the car after getting off of Marta.
I’m sorry I can’t promise that a small bag of snacks will be OK—almost everyone understands that little kids need food and a hot dog won’t always cut it—but who knows what the rules will be this year.
Bring a good hat and make sure to get water or something to drink to keep them cool. You end up needing the drink and the hat faster than you’d expect.