Taisun Phommachanh question

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Remember Bilbo being brought in during a bowl game against Fresno State. We were getting beat pretty good but he looked pretty good from what I remember.
I seem to remember him coming in that game right before halftime and throwing a pick-six and then the next season he was a WR, think he made it to the NFL as a wr also.

slugboy

Staff member
I seem to remember him coming in that game right before halftime and throwing a pick-six and then the next season he was a WR, think he made it to the NFL as a wr also.
That was Suggs. We got the ball with very little time left. He was coached "if it's not wide open, throw the ball away". He threw a pick-six, and Bilbo played QB the rest of the game.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
He's not worse than Gibson. His injury has not allowed him to return to form. Gibson has had a few years in a program with significant playing time under his belt. A combination of these two put plus red Zach being a true frosh, put gibson first off the bench.

BTW, I'm going out on a limb and say Gibson may show us alot more this saturday than in his other games. I know that's not a high bar but the VA game was just too big of a stage particularly with that awful OL he had protecting him. Last week he showed signs of being able pass effectively in spite of his two INT's. If the OL has improved as some here have observed then maybe he won't look vastly improved.
The optimist in me is hoping that UNC's DL is not good at the pass rush, which could help Gibson a lot. I know that their scoring D rank has to be bad, but I don't know if that is due to an across-the-board weakness or just a few key positions. I agree that Gibson has shown a decent arm and accuracy at times when he has a chance to get a pass thrown. He definitely needs to get that internal clock well-calibrated so that he knows when it's time to throw it away if necessary.
I do fear that defenses may assume he is not a threat to run and adjust accordingly. Of course, our coaching staff should know this as well and factor that into our game plan and protection schemes.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That was Suggs. We got the ball with very little time left. He was coached "if it's not wide open, throw the ball away". He threw a pick-six, and Bilbo played QB the rest of the game.
Your right, then Bilbo came in and threw 4 int’s. I believe that bowl loss took away our cfb leading bowl winning % record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bilbo spent a year on the Cowboys practice squad playing QB and WR. He's also become a very prominent NFL agent. He currently heads the NFL/Football side of Klutch Sports Group who has become a major player in sports representation.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Bilbo spent a year on the Cowboys practice squad playing QB and WR. He's also become a very prominent NFL agent. He currently heads the NFL/Football side of Klutch Sports Group who has become a major player in sports representation.
Wasn't he the one involved in the whole DT8 clothing BS?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
A lot to this statement. It’s funny how once Collins left all the hate went towards some of the players rather than the rest of the staff.
Many are struggling with the fact we’re destroying 100 year old records in futility like a hot knife going thru butter. I think when Key won the 1st game, the assumption was it was a 1 man problem. You were either with him or against him.

The roots of that go all the way back to Chan. The Chan haters drew up sides, when he was replaced with Johnson it became fashionable to pick coaching sides. Right out of the gate the hatred for Johnson was public and vocal. The Johnson crowd would probably have given Collins more leeway had he not taken every opportunity to denigrate the previous regime and players.

Here we are. Everybody’s all in. Just on different sides and each side has factions that squabble. Batt needs to fix this otherwise his entire tenure will be dominated by decisiveness and he will fail.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll know if we put Taisun in, he's going to end up passing for 200+ yards and running for another 100+ yards on our way to a win and the narrative will be "Why didn't CGC and Key play Taisun sooner? Our season could have been much different!"

That's just how we do it at GTSwarm.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Think this excerpt is OK - its from AJC which is free if you download the App. If not, mods please remove.

"Taisun's a big dude that can run the ball well," Quick said. "Honestly seeing him out there with his size and how he moves, it looks really good. Zach can sling the ball, too. Both looked really good in practice this week.”