T from Tech Tower Stolen!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
In a new development, it is being reported that a suspect described as tall, athletic build wearing a jersey with a black and red Green Bay Packers logo has apparently tried to cash the T at several local banks.

Animal02

Banned
Probably one of the craziest Tech traditions, and one that hasn't happened in 13 years just occurred today. The T from Tech Tower has been stolen!

https://twitter.com/search?src=typd&q=tech tower

Was part of a group that made an attempt back in '80. (I was the only one not caught. The two on the tower had it cut down, on a rope ready to lower when a campus cop on routine patrol rolled by, saw it out and decided to check it out. The two that got caught on the tower ended up with social probation for life and had to clean the quad daily for a semester, the others invovled that were caught just got a lecture from Dean Dull. These days I understand it is considered a felony and means expulsion. I thought they had plenty of cameras up there now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought if you stole the "T" and you returned it and explained to them how you did it they would let you off with a slap on the wrist. Of course, that was the rumor when I was at GT. Probably disinformation so you would turn yourself in!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
yep. A group of us took it in 1992. I had to take the one on the front of the Tower because it was the only one not alarmed. We went and woke Crecine up and got photos with him and the T.

There are photos floating around on Facebook.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
2207_1087609236697_3901_n.jpg

Crew from 1992. Crecine in the middle and his son Rob to the far right.

We took the one on the opposite side (3 story drop if you lost your footing) as shown above.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
The T was reported missing this morning. I believe it's been something like 13 years since it was last accomplished.

BjBj5IOIgAAM-4q.jpg

The Tech Twitter account was quick to rain on the parade.

I applaud whoever made good use of their Spring Break and did this.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is the reply I received from Pres. Bud

Ms. Walker,
Many thanks for your input on this matter. As reported in the press, the student involved has been issued a "citation for vandalism" and we do not plan to press criminal charges. He has also been referred to the Office of Student Integrity, and will be put through the student judicial process here on campus, which provides an opportunity for a panel of students to make recommendations on the appropriate sanctions.

While I understand your position, our principal concern is for the safety of our students. Having students climbing around on a very steep and slippery rooftop in the middle of the night presents a very dangerous situation, particularly if they have been participating in some other activities before doing so. As a result, Georgia Tech as an institution, and I as President, must take that the impact of any actions we might take into account. Simply put, I could not live with myself if a student fell and was injured or killed because of some the desire to support a "tradition." That said, we will see where the student judicial process takes us.
All the best and thanks for the continued support of Georgia Tech.

Regards,
BP
G.P. "Bud" Peterson, President
Georgia Institute of Technology
225 North Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30332-0325
Ph: 404-894-5051
Fax: 404-894-1277
http://www.gatech.edu/president/
http://www.me.gatech.edu/faculty/peterson