Syracuse, Jan. 21st 2023, Pre And Post Game Commentary

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I meant the 2020 season, but yes the 2021 ACC Championship.
We were over .500 in the ACC in '20 but there was no postseason. We won 6 of our last 7 headed into the tournament that was cancelled.

We were again over .500 in the ACC in '21 then won the tournament. I think those 2 years blend together for many fans so they come up with a story that Pastner just got lucky one year.

To be clear, I am as frustrated with the last year and a half as anyone.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty sure Mike White's salary is north of $3MM and he probably has better recruiting assistants.

They're more invested in hoops than us at this point. Most of the SEC is.

The SEC started making a major commitment to Basketball a few years ago with new facilities and major coaching Salaries. Big 12 is also getting ahead of
the ACC. ACC has basically lost the ability to call themselves the best in Basketball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The SEC started making a major commitment to Basketball a few years ago with new facilities and major coaching Salaries. Big 12 is also getting ahead of
the ACC. ACC has basically lost the ability to call themselves the best in Basketball.
Baylor is building out facilities in same configuation of gt

In Waco Baylor is building a new bb arena on brazos river just north of the campus.

They built a 40,000 seat stadium to east of brazos w a huge walking bridge for students to walk to games. .

Like Gt has I 75 next to its facilities Baylor has I35 (austin/dallas).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball team ain’t going to make you feel any better, lol. Same story different year with ol Coach hall at the helm. We might replace all three head coaches of the big three sports this year, and it’s past due

When I agree with you in any sport, I just stop following. I'm hoping that DBo and Ramsey are enough to overcome Hall. GT baseball is different than football or basketball. In baseball, we get the high recruiting classes which don't develop to win in post season. That's why I likes Johnson so much, he did more with lower ranked players / athletes.

I hope Pastner gets another year and is successful. But this year is much worse than I expected. So I just don't follow much.

der-k

Georgia Tech Fan
I’ve never been a believer in Pastner as a HC (though I’ve wanted to be wrong!!) and that hasn’t changed many years in into his work at Tech. GT is a tough job (for reasons cited upthread) and I don’t expect winning season in the conference most years (or even in aggregate) but GT has enough assets that we should be more competitive than we’ve been and, frankly, with better recruiting classes than we’ve had. Our offenses are rarely efficient (which is partly bad luck with point guards not named Alvarado), the short benches have hurt player development, and we frankly were lucky to have some of the brief success that we had.

You know, Paul Johnson (who I liked a lot, even as my aesthetic preference is to pass all day long) presents a model for a kind of coach to look into - a gimmicky one. When you have a tougher recruiting situation, a way to combat that is to do something non standard that can serve as a relatively advantage/distinction. Tough to win a national title that way, but that’s not exactly where we are right now anyway.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve never been a believer in Pastner as a HC (though I’ve wanted to be wrong!!) and that hasn’t changed many years in into his work at Tech. GT is a tough job (for reasons cited upthread) and I don’t expect winning season in the conference most years (or even in aggregate) but GT has enough assets that we should be more competitive than we’ve been and, frankly, with better recruiting classes than we’ve had. Our offenses are rarely efficient (which is partly bad luck with point guards not named Alvarado), the short benches have hurt player development, and we frankly were lucky to have some of the brief success that we had.

You know, Paul Johnson (who I liked a lot, even as my aesthetic preference is to pass all day long) presents a model for a kind of coach to look into - a gimmicky one. When you have a tougher recruiting situation, a way to combat that is to do something non standard that can serve as a relatively advantage/distinction. Tough to win a national title that way, but that’s not exactly where we are right now anyway.
Basketball is a little more difficult to be gimmicky than football. But I agree that the high post Princeton isn’t for us with our current players. Our bench isn’t shorter than anyone else’s. Probably just the opposite. We have ten to play eight in any given game to try to match up with the opponent. We started 3 sophomores, a junior and a senior on Saturday. All still have a Covid year. It doesn’t make sense to me why we aren’t winning.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We did used to have the most gimmicky defense in the ACC. That morphing 1-3-1 zone that would swap over to man at random and then maybe back to the zone the next possession to keep opponents off balance. It won us a lot of games.

Pastner has gotten away from it the past couple of seasons, I would suspect it’s because this is the first time he hasn’t had a true rim protector. It also requires an energy level that only having Jose on the court can bring out in the rest of the team. The baseline backdoor cut has been a free 2 points all season in that zone. I’ve noticed we’ve been playing a decent amount of the 3-2 zone instead of 1-3-1 probably to defend against that weakness.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not think we made bad choices as much as we had few options. Gregory and Pastner and Collins all came to GT with less than stellar fan support at their previous schools. But, the list of available coaches who wanted to take on the GT job was a small subset of the entire list. While all of us love GT, it has to be a tough job. We have a relatively small local fanbase, limited funds for the athletic programs, an urban location with major professional teams sucking up sports dollars, and our chief rival just up the road with many more fans within five miles of our campus than we have. While we probably ought to be a G5 program, we fans enjoy our P5 history and have even loftier aspirations. Would you choose us over NC State or Ole Miss?
We have issues but we have also hired bad coaches - there were others available. Look at the football team last year. A team that everyone thought had no players won two games against ranked opponents soon after a coaching change. The basketball team is lacking in talent (sorry guys) but that can change quickly in the portal if we had a coach. We've got to quit hiring goofballs, they make bad coaches.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The Big 12 is the best BB Conference now. They have back to back NCs with two different teams. Expansion for FB will hurt their BB programs though as it did the ACC’s BB programs.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The Big 12 is the best BB Conference now. They have back to back NCs with two different teams. Expansion for FB will hurt their BB programs though as it did the ACC’s BB programs.
Yes and no. Houston is obviously one of the best programs in the country right now. Cincy is also a good program and BYU can hold their own. Poor UCF though, but they will catch up. They pump out like 15,000-20,000 new undergraduate alumni every year and the school takes athletics branding pretty seriously. They will be flush with cash soon.

Like half that conference is ranked top 15 right now, plus round robin scheduling. I should pay way more attention to it - KSU and ISU are fun underdog programs right now.