Syracuse, Jan. 21st 2023, Pre And Post Game Commentary

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Old news.
To follow up on my comment, we got a bargain with Coach Pastner and with him as our coach, several memorable moments. He turned a rag tag team group of Gregory recruits into a fun to watch NIT team. Jose was a star from the moment he stepped on the court and will go down as one of our all time favorites. We have seen some wonderful basketball in Pastner’s regime. Maybe not this year but watching the heart of Devoe and Usher last year overshadow the record. If he gets another chance next year I’ll be happy. If not, no regrets as to him being our coach.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
To follow up on my comment, we got a bargain with Coach Pastner and with him as our coach, several memorable moments. He turned a rag tag team group of Gregory recruits into a fun to watch NIT team. Jose was a star from the moment he stepped on the court and will go down as one of our all time favorites. We have seen some wonderful basketball in Pastner’s regime. Maybe not this year but watching the heart of Devoe and Usher last year overshadow the record. If he gets another chance next year I’ll be happy. If not, no regrets as to him being our coach.
That’s kind of where I am. 2021 was special, but aside from that and the NIT team the rest has been kind of meh. Before this year they’ve generally been fun to watch, but this squad reminds me of those Hewitt teams in 05-06 and 08-09. Just bad basketball and really tough to watch. Fwiw I think the Ron Bell and Labarrie incidents hurt us more than many will admit. If Pastner goes I won’t be upset and if he gets another crack I’ll watch optimistically, but probably won’t hold my breath that he’s last beyond next year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Baseball team ain’t going to make you feel any better, lol. Same story different year with ol Coach hall at the helm. We might replace all three head coaches of the big three sports this year, and it’s past due
This probably belongs in a different thread but...

Yeah we're likely to replace Danny Hall this year, if not next, but not because he's a sorry coach just not meeting everyone's lofty expectations of going to the CWS & coupled with the fact he's getting long in the tooth and new blood is needed. It's time, but maybe he's being asked to stay because the other 2 programs are under heavy duress with football currently undergoing massive changes & basketball needing massive changes badly.

There was a lot of whining about Johnson & many couldn't wait to see him go. That worked out great. Thankfully, we seemed to have at least gotten us back to where we won't be a joke any more in football. I hated Hewitt, was glad to see him go but we couldn't attract a coach that wanted to come here. That worked out great also. There's a common theme here. GT does not change major sports program coaches well, we're very poor selectors of replacement coaches and seem to buy the hopey/changey BS from whoever's left in line after the top candidates used us for pays raises, contract extrensions or to make their real destination pay more. We fall for the smoke & mirrors with mindboggling predictability & we enter into abysmal contracts that hamstring us near term and shackle us long term out of sheer desparation and embarassement once we get jilted 3-4 times.

We're terrible at fundraising, then we lauch a campaign and see what's possible, but we don't follow thru with the momentum and in the process manage to alienate loyal, long term supporters. Maybe this time it will be different. We're horrible at managing large capital projects and our budget, we look like the Federal Government in our rampant ineptitude.

Glad J Batt is here & along with Cabrera as they seem to understand the current state and all the issues plaguing our sports programs. It's just gonna 4-5 years for these guys to unsrew this mess. They inherited a collasal clusterF & it's more than just rolling a few heads at the top.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Yeah we're likely to replace Danny Hall this year, if not next, but not because he's a sorry coach just not meeting everyone's lofty expectations of going to the CWS & coupled with the fact he's getting long in the tooth and new blood is needed. It's time, but maybe he's being asked to stay because the other 2 programs are under heavy duress with football currently undergoing massive changes & basketball needing massive changes badly.

There was a lot of whining about Johnson & many couldn't wait to see him go. That worked out great. Thankfully, we seemed to have at least gotten us back to where we won't be a joke any more in football. I hated Hewitt, was glad to see him go but we couldn't attract a coach that wanted to come here. That worked out great also. There's a common theme here. GT does not change major sports program coaches well, we're very poor selectors of replacement coaches and seem to buy the hopey/changey BS from whoever's left in line after the top candidates used us for pays raises, contract extrensions or to make their real destination pay more. We fall for the smoke & mirrors with mindboggling predictability & we enter into abysmal contracts that hamstring us near term and shackle us long term out of sheer desparation and embarassement once we get jilted 3-4 times.

We're terrible at fundraising, then we lauch a campaign and see what's possible, but we don't follow thru with the momentum and in the process manage to alienate loyal, long term supporters. Maybe this time it will be different. We're horrible at managing large capital projects and our budget, we look like the Federal Government in our rampant ineptitude.

Glad J Batt is here & along with Cabrera as they seem to understand the current state and all the issues plaguing our sports programs. It's just gonna 4-5 years for these guys to unsrew this mess. They inherited a collasal clusterF & it's more than just rolling a few heads at the top.
I do not think we made bad choices as much as we had few options. Gregory and Pastner and Collins all came to GT with less than stellar fan support at their previous schools. But, the list of available coaches who wanted to take on the GT job was a small subset of the entire list. While all of us love GT, it has to be a tough job. We have a relatively small local fanbase, limited funds for the athletic programs, an urban location with major professional teams sucking up sports dollars, and our chief rival just up the road with many more fans within five miles of our campus than we have. While we probably ought to be a G5 program, we fans enjoy our P5 history and have even loftier aspirations. Would you choose us over NC State or Ole Miss?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Baseball team ain’t going to make you feel any better, lol. Same story different year with ol Coach hall at the helm. We might replace all three head coaches of the big three sports this year, and it’s past due
Unfortunately, especially for Tech basketball and baseball fans that are season tickets holders like myself, the GTAA neither has the funds nor the wherewithal to replace more than one major coach per year. CJP bought himself a few years with the ACC Championship in 2021. It is unlikely he gets fired this season unless a donor with major influence writes a big check to get it done. As for Coach Hall, there is a feeling that he has earned the right to retire on his own terms and timeline. However, unlike basketball, we probably have his replacement on staff. Hopefully, he does not get poached before CDH finally decides to retire.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, especially for Tech basketball and baseball fans season tickets holders like myself, the GTAA neither has the funds nor the wherewithal to replace more than one major coach per year. CJP bought himself a few years with the ACC Championship in 2020. It is unlikely he gets fired this season unless a donor with major influence writes a big check to get it done. As for Coach Hall, there is a feeling that he has earned the right to retire on his own terms and timeline. However, unlike basketball, we probably have his replacement on staff. Hopefully, he does not get poached before CDH finally decides to retire.
GT won the ACC in 21. There was no tournament in 20.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My issue with Pastner this year:

His philosophy on offense is a plank with square holes. His team is bunch of round pegs. He hasn't decided to get out the plank with round holes. And I don't see any hint that he's considering it.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Our replacement head coach in baseball is probably on staff. I just do not think anyone is going to push out CDH given his success, even if it was more than a decade ago. I also think he still has the backing of Teixeira, who has a lot of influence in the GTAA and the baseball program.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not think we made bad choices as much as we had few options. Gregory and Pastner and Collins all came to GT with less than stellar fan support at their previous schools. But, the list of available coaches who wanted to take on the GT job was a small subset of the entire list. While all of us love GT, it has to be a tough job. We have a relatively small local fanbase, limited funds for the athletic programs, an urban location with major professional teams sucking up sports dollars, and our chief rival just up the road with many more fans within five miles of our campus than we have. While we probably ought to be a G5 program, we fans enjoy our P5 history and have even loftier aspirations. Would you choose us over NC State or Ole Miss?
Was it coaches did not want to come here more than GT did not want to pay big $ for a big time coach? Pearl at Auburn is making 5 mil a year and I would say that investment has worked well for a football school in a rural area. Hitting big on a no name guy is few and far between.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I said at the start of yr I thought we would struggle (not enough front ct size nor talent and no proven scorers) --but maybe the team would "mature" and evolve well.It just hasn't happened enough (uga and uM were only good) . At home,when your PGs go 2-12 in 3 pt and are poor FTs % guys also,you have a real problem..When your Ctr position gets much less than 10 pts a game normally,you have a problem. One good yr in 7-you have more than a problem,it is a dumpster fire.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Was it coaches did not want to come here more than GT did not want to pay big $ for a big time coach? Pearl at Auburn is making 5 mil a year and I would say that investment has worked well for a football school in a rural area. Hitting big on a no name guy is few and far between.
At some point, $$$ investment overcomes how unappealing the job is. That's true that Auburn wasn't a desirable program to play for prior to Pearl, but the university showed commitment and Pearl wrangled more investors. He won with that money and it pulled even more people into the fold. Remember, he was dropping huge bags at Tennessee pre-NIL. A lot of those SEC schools took the football profits and brought the arms race to basketball around 5 years ago. I think most just conceded the conference to Kentucky for a very long time.

The revenue sports at Georgia Tech at this point are at a place where it's well understood you will earn a low-mid tier salary for a power conference and try to navigate several institutional issues ($$$, major selection, class requirements, etc) in order to win. Just not an appealing job for most top/up-and-coming coaches with big aspirations - Brian Gregory, Josh Pastner, Geoff Collins were all mediocre high-major coaches or got run out of their programs and threw the dice at Georgia Tech for their power conference chance. The Key hire is an interesting switch up given his alumnus status. Maybe Batt is ready to go all in on a basketball coach with Key being a budget hire.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At some point, $$$ investment overcomes how unappealing the job is. That's true that Auburn wasn't a desirable program to play for prior to Pearl, but the university showed commitment and Pearl wrangled more investors. He won with that money and it pulled even more people into the fold. Remember, he was dropping huge bags at Tennessee pre-NIL. A lot of those SEC schools took the football profits and brought the arms race to basketball around 5 years ago. I think most just conceded the conference to Kentucky for a very long time.

The revenue sports at Georgia Tech at this point are at a place where it's well understood you will earn a low-mid tier salary for a power conference and try to navigate several institutional issues ($$$, major selection, class requirements, etc) in order to win. Just not an appealing job for most top/up-and-coming coaches with big aspirations - Brian Gregory, Josh Pastner, Geoff Collins were all mediocre high-major coaches or got run out of their programs and threw the dice at Georgia Tech for their power conference chance. The Key hire is an interesting switch up given his alumnus status. Maybe Batt is ready to go all in on a basketball coach with Key being a budget hire.
Coach application.

All i need is 100,000 and small performance bonus on improvement over gregory- pastner average.

Part of deal is on the un needed salary ( 2,000,000) for stud coach Alumni must fund NIL by same amount.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Coach application.

All i need is 100,000 and small performance bonus on improvement over gregory- pastner average.

Part of deal is on the un needed salary ( 2,000,000) for stud coach Alumni must fund NIL by same amount.
The only coaches who would take $100,000 guaranteed to coach Georgia Tech are presently coaching the Varsity team at Tifton HS. No offense to GA HS basketball coaches, but Hubert Davis, Mike Young, Steve Forbes, etc would run circles around all of them. I feel like I had this discussion on the football board a million times - Georgia Tech does not have every ounce of leverage in the coaching search! Elite, program builder coaches are very low in supply and very high in demand - you gotta pay big bucks for them and set them up for success, otherwise they'll go to the next bidder who can offer that. Bigger bucks than other schools too because of the job difficulty. We had more leverage with Key because we are his literal dream job (and I mean actual dream job - not Geoff Collins dream job; the dude was crying in the on-field postgame interview after his first game/win) - he loves the school so much and wants us to win again that he took a pretty lowball offer.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

I am wondering when uga decides to drop big $ on hoops with alll the money they are bathing in these days. Will also be interesting on the football side to see if Colorado’s gamble with Deon goes well. It already appears so and I like their boldness in bringing him in.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am wondering when uga decides to drop big $ on hoops with alll the money they are bathing in these days. Will also be interesting on the football side to see if Colorado’s gamble with Deon goes well. It already appears so and I like their boldness in bringing him in.
Pretty sure Mike White's salary is north of $3MM and he probably has better recruiting assistants.

They're more invested in hoops than us at this point. Most of the SEC is.