Syracuse, Jan. 21st 2023, Pre And Post Game Commentary

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
A nooner... Everyone loves a nooner.

TV is Bally Sports South.

Do we get a W out of this home stand?

Let's hope we "get lucky" with this nooner opportunity.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I bet we don’t run Princeton today ;)

This is a coin flip game for good reason. ‘Cuse is a bad team playing a little better, with an inflated 5-3 record in the ACC due to a soft start to their league schedule. They’ve not yet beaten a team in the top 10 of the league. Bad news is we are also not in the top 10.

‘Cuse is younger than us with six true freshmen, a true soph transfer center and true soph returnee Benny Williams. Team revolves around veterans Girard and Edwards, the latter should be All-ACC this year (prob 2nd or 3rd team).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The most common key to success is to get Edwards in foul trouble by being physical and aggressive at the rim. Without Edwards in the game, the immaturity at the back line of the zone becomes obvious, and a significant threat on the other end of the court is gone.

Not sure we have the ability to do that though since we don’t have bigs that’ll cause him to leave his feet much. But he is still prone to dumb fouls at times.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
We had an 11-point lead at one point in time. Then gave up a 17 to nothing run. Syracuse really never had to look back after that.

Buzz78

Georgia Tech Fan
We just do not have the talent to compete, especially with the bigs. Without some NIL influx we’ll have trouble keeping what talent we have, forget getting better. Right now it’s just hard to watch.

MISSOURIJACKET

Georgia Tech Fan
Reminds me of Gregory’s teams. You kept waiting for the opposition to go on a 12-0 run to put it out of reach. Seemed to happen every game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We just do not have the talent to compete, especially with the bigs. Without some NIL influx we’ll have trouble keeping what talent we have, forget getting better. Right now it’s just hard to watch.
Like @kg01 I disagree. We have the talent to play better than we are currently playing. It's frustrating watching these kids and I am hurting for them. But, this is not the fire Pastner thread.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's funny. We may lack the overall depth of talent to be a great team, but we do not lack the talent to simply compete.

Right now we're essentially food for the league. We have enough talent to be more than that.
Why can't I like this post more than once. This is the best @kg01 post in quite a while. Thanks, amigo.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
What's funny. We may lack the overall depth of talent to be a great team, but we do not lack the talent to simply compete.

Right now we're essentially food for the league. We have enough talent to be more than that.
I agree. The individual talent is there, but the 'team' struggles. In my mind, that leans more on the coaching. That issue starts at the top, reference previous FB problems. Might be time to scratch that seven year itch and move on.

slugboy

Staff member

How hard would it be to name teams with less heralded recruits than us who are currently playing better?

It’s like everyone’s head is in the wrong place right now