Syracuse @ Georgia Tech, Saturday February 27th @ 12pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Get your breakfast and then get ready to get cut block. Oh wait, wrong sport. I miss all those noon game cut blocks.

Anyway:
Georgia Tech: 8-6 ACC, 12-8 Overall
Syracuse: 7-6 ACC, 13-7 Overall

Very similar on the surface. When you dig below the surface, there are dramatic differences.

Georgia Tech has played 4 games against the top 2 teams, while Syracuse has played 1 game.
Georgia Tech has played 7 games against the top 5 teams, while Syracuse has played 3 games.
Georgia Tech has played 3 games against the bottom 6 teams, while Syracuse has played 9 games.

See the trend? Who are Syracuse's wins?
2 wins over NC State.
2 wins over Boston College.
1 win over Miami.
1 win over Notre Dame (home).
1 win over Virginia Tech (home). Their 1 single win over a team with a winning conference record.

Syracuse has 1 single win against the top 9 teams in the ACC. They lost to 12th place Pittsburgh twice.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger line on this game, like Georgia Tech by 8+.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
"I said, ‘Sir, couple things: first of all, this is not intramurals … nor is it the Love Boat, where everybody gets served cocktails at 4 p.m.’ I said this is men’s college elite basketball.

And I said the ‘air ball’ chant has been going around since Dr. James Naismith invented the game. I said I guarantee you if one of our guys air-balled the ball at the Carrier Dome at Syracuse, 30,000 people would be chanting air ball for the entire game.”

The Man, The Myth, The Sideburns and FaceShield Himself

Deleted member 2897

I'm looking forward to the nose picking and a fun press conference.

/

Boeheim is STILL picking fights with Jay Bilas (and anybody else) that Duke is a much better team without Jalen Johnson. He said that, while acknowledging that he had never seen them play. Just saw they won 2 games after he left and blabbed his mouth. Who talks like that about another school and another school's players? Boeheim just said yesterday that he knows a lot more than Jay about basketball. A freaking hall of fame player and well respected analyst. LOL. Like what's the point in just picking random fights? I hope we bury that cry baby.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Of course you will...I’m your burner account.

Or wait? Maybe it’s that you are my burner account. I get the two confused.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Have to control the perimeter, as Boeheim has been shooting it well. Griffin is a very temperamental player and just as likely to have 6 turnovers as he is 6 three pointers.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Of course you will...I’m your burner account.

Or wait? Maybe it’s that you are my burner account. I get the two confused.

shq.gif

Yoooo, nobody needs to know we got burners.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I was at that game, and the chanting really got in that little guard's head. It was a lot of fun. :)
I was there too, sitting with a group of Syracuse fanboys behind me. They were all upset about their lack of scoring in the paint, and the way this GT nobody was shutting them down. I finally had to turn around and explain to them that Ben Lammers had been doing the same thing to every other team in the ACC, as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Boeheim is STILL picking fights with Jay Bilas (and anybody else) that Duke is a much better team without Jalen Johnson. He said that, while acknowledging that he had never seen them play. Just saw they won 2 games after he left and blabbed his mouth. Who talks like that about another school and another school's players? Boeheim just said yesterday that he knows a lot more than Jay about basketball. A freaking hall of fame player and well respected analyst. LOL. Like what's the point in just picking random fights? I hope we bury that cry baby.
Lot of context missing here.

First, I agree he didn't need to respond to the question on his radio show the way he did. That's it and probably the most important point if nothing else is read. So I agree that he could have presented his opinion in a way of coach speak that doesn't say anything. Of course, it's not reported that the context of the conversation was around why Duke was playing better. Boeheim was Boeheim in his response, for better and for worse.

Second, his point wasn't that Jalen Johnson was a cancer. His point was that the team's roles are better defined and it's a better mix for success. And, he was right. They knocked off Virginia the next game too.

He does this with everything. I assume your comment about "STILL" picking fights is related to his comments immediately after the Syracuse vs. Duke game. Seems like a relevant forum. He's not picking fights with Bilas - they are great friends - and Bilas said as much during his color commentary of the Duke Syracuse game. He attempted to clarify for those who only read/hear Twitter and ESPN soundbites and didn't listen to his radio show, which is basically 99% of everyone as far as I can tell. And he mostly failed in his attempt to clarify as he just rambled and mixed in a comment or two that didn't make sense.

Having said all that, I recognize there's no place for defending our upcoming opponent in this thread. I may be giving @kg01 the confidence to share his support as well. He talks about Boeheim and Cuse more than anyone and it gets exhausting.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I expect we'll play more man this game. Realistically Syracuse's only path to success is to rain 3's, and they have enough weapons to hit from deep and make it a factor.

In a m2m defense we have the advantage at most every position. The only possible advantages Cuse can take advantage of in the half court if we're playing man, none of which I see as surefire issues:
  • Buddy Boeheim may still be able to get his shot off around Devoe
  • Guerrier is going to be tough for either Usher or Moore if he plays in the paint due to strength/size
  • Back-up frosh guard Kadary Richmond is going to be real good and can drive/use his size. He'll be the solution assuming Jose or someone shuts down Girard, which should be easy enough for Jose.
If Bubba plays and we go man, I expect Syracuse will attack that size advantage relentlessly. They really do a good job isolating on match-up advantages particularly when it comes to size. Boeheim is actually one of the better back-to-the-basket players too, which I see him going to in m2m.