Syracuse 2-3 Zone = GT Option?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Similarities
  • Both require extra prep by the opponent
  • There are theoretically fewer adjustments required game to game for both Syracuse's 2-3 and GT's option
  • Many believe certain teams "have it figured out". Common complaint "Bud Foster has figured it out" = "Jamie Dixon/Rick Pitino/Jay Wright own Jim Boeheim"
  • Both schemes are coached by salty old farts
Questions
  • How many people would kill for the same success in GT football as Syracuse currently has in basketball?
  • Did Syracuse beat Pitino/Louisville twice last year and Dixon/Pitt twice this year despite years of those teams being invincible against the 2-3? (fyi, answer is yes).
  • Will complaints about the offense subside if CPJ wins 10+ games a year or wins a national championship?
Posted on Syracuse message board after yesterday's game
"yeah... we created a to and a 2 missed shots towards the end of the game... but we had ample opportunities to at least mix up the defense. instead we let them whittle the clock down until it was an all or nothing chance for us.

gotta put this 1 on boeheim. I love the zone and i love boeheim. but tech owned us (after uva owned us). Which makes 2 games in a row that we sat in a zone and let the opposition totally control tempo.

i only hope JB puts some pride aside if needed in the tournament."

Conclusion
Eyes have bled watching Syracuse's offense over the last 3 weeks. But the defense is still comically thrown under the bus. Because Boeheim is a stubborn s.o.b. who .can't put aside personal pride and adjust to the times. :rolleyes:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good correlation and yes. If we win 10 most, but not all, if the criticism will die down. Winning typically does that. (Unless we meet another buzz saw defense in a big bowl, like Iowa 08...then we will here "can't win vs good D) so maybe I shall recant and say criticism will continue unless we win the championship.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the corellation.

They just lost to us in bball which would be like us losing to Duke in football which hasn't happened.

The Orange have only lost 5 games in that bldg in three seasons - that includes some big wins over big opponents. I'm not going to spell out this one.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see the corellation.

They just lost to us in bball which would be like us losing to Duke in football which hasn't happened.

The Orange have only lost 5 games in that bldg in three seasons - that includes some big wins over big opponents. I'm not going to spell out this one.

I'm not sure what correlation you're refuting. My post has nothing do with with overall winning percentage by itself. Your last sentence further supports the premise of the comparison i.e., despite sustained success the defense is still seen as an Achilles heel and inflexible by those who don't understand that the true problem is the offense.