Synjyn Days

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
No deal here...they want to get him more snaps but it's hard to find the right times. He got some action today...seen him on a few passing plays...Laskey appeared to play well today.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
No deal here...they want to get him more snaps but it's hard to find the right times. He got some action today...seen him on a few passing plays...Laskey appeared to play well today.
I just feel like hes getting the raw end of the deal. Moved from QB to AB to BB... Was looking good at AB and used as a good edge blocker. Now hes in that same position Laskey was last year. I understand we need depth at BB, but I feel like Synjyn has enough gas to go for a few plays a game at both positions.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I can say that Days was passed by others at A back.
Thats understandable. But he shouldnt lose carries to Bostic. IMO. Plus we can use him as a blocker on some plays. Hes beefed up and I want to see him knock some folks on their tails. Im really liking what im seeing out of Zenon,Hill, and Perkins though. Hope Synjyn gets a fair scratch at BB if hes not gonna see the field at AB any.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Days will get his touches.

He's an AB/BB/short yardage QB. Laskey ran tough today, but he took a lot of hits today. His high running style makes him a target for some big hits. He's going to need to be spelled some every game or his body isn't going to hold up. Days will play more as the year goes on.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I just feel like hes getting the raw end of the deal. Moved from QB to AB to BB... Was looking good at AB and used as a good edge blocker. Now hes in that same position Laskey was last year. I understand we need depth at BB, but I feel like Synjyn has enough gas to go for a few plays a game at both positions.

How so?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll say this much about Days. He was involved and ever present on the sidelines as a leader despite his lack of PT yesterday. You have to like that. There was no sulking and he would often greet the ABs as they came off the field to give them some feedback or a pat on the back. I agree he will get his carries this year, but in the mean time it sure is nice to know that he won't be a spoiled sport cancer on the sideline. Good for him. Not all players today are like that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd have kept Days at AB, but that's what they hired the coaches for. I do think he's a good enough player to see the field more then he is at present. We could always move him back if Laskey gets hurt and, besides, I don't think that will happen. Our opponents have had three years to try to get Zach out for an extended period and plenty of opportunities. Hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. No need to keep a power RB on the bench "just in case". I'd play him more soon.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd have kept Days at AB, but that's what they hired the coaches for. I do think he's a good enough player to see the field more then he is at present. We could always move him back if Laskey gets hurt and, besides, I don't think that will happen. Our opponents have had three years to try to get Zach out for an extended period and plenty of opportunities. Hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. No need to keep a power RB on the bench "just in case". I'd play him more soon.
He was moved out of necessity. Custis failing out forced Leggett to switch. Leggett's injury forced Days to switch. Got to have a solid 2 deep at the position. Moving him at the last minute if/when Laskey goes down is not a good plan for success.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of y'all need to remember that Days has been a BB for about 3 weeks. I'm sure he's still learning.

some also need to remember that he's been in the system for 5 years and has never entered a season as a starter. His best chance for PT IMO was at AB. But after the first 2 games I can see why Perkins, Hill, Bostic and Zenon are playing. It is what it is.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Jeffgt14 nailed it. He's new to the position and it shows: he comes out of his stance awkwardly, he takes handoff awkwardly, he's not always hitting the right holes, and so on.

But he's a good, strong runner. He has the ability to stay low and navigate traffic. He just needs to keep getting practice reps so he can iron out the kinks.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Days will get more time in the following:
  • The team has more than 50 snaps
  • The defense is defending the outside forcing more middle runs
  • GT Passes more as he is the better pass blocker

Jacket-n-Athens

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for starting this thread and for the comments. It is a newer position for him but CPJ says he knows the job of the BB. He knows them all by now. What bothers me most is that the coach point blank said last week that he meant to have played Days more but didn't, and needed to give him more touches this week. Yet with 8 minutes to go and the game well in hand up by 17, he still has Laskey in there. I am sorry but that was the time to give him playing time and work on his game. He came in at the 3 minute mark but by then Byerly was just keeping the ball himself to run out the clock. The coach did not do what he said he would do. I agree with the other poster, Days is getting a raw deal in my opinion. When he gets in, he is blocking the piss out of the opposing D. He needs enough touches to get into the flow of the game. Ask any running back and they will say the same thing. I like Laskey, but we need to have a solid backup in case he gets injured.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for starting this thread and for the comments. It is a newer position for him but CPJ says he knows the job of the BB. He knows them all by now. What bothers me most is that the coach point blank said last week that he meant to have played Days more but didn't, and needed to give him more touches this week. Yet with 8 minutes to go and the game well in hand up by 17, he still has Laskey in there. I am sorry but that was the time to give him playing time and work on his game. He came in at the 3 minute mark but by then Byerly was just keeping the ball himself to run out the clock. The coach did not do what he said he would do. I agree with the other poster, Days is getting a raw deal in my opinion. When he gets in, he is blocking the piss out of the opposing D. He needs enough touches to get into the flow of the game. Ask any running back and they will say the same thing. I like Laskey, but we need to have a solid backup in case he gets injured.

I agree and you can make a similar case for O'reilly and Devine. Plenty of low risk opportunity to build some much needed depth. Roof is building his depth on D, with even Kallon and Travis and Cheeks getting some PT, not to mention higher risk DB positions with both the Austins, Durham, and C Griffin.