Swofford to Retire in June 2021

Scubapro

Banned
No direct affiliation with tobacco road, raycom, or bojangles. That's really it.
Keep Bojangles and get rid of Food Lion & double down on getting away from Tobacco road.
The next commish will need to be one heck of a visionary to navigate the future

Scubapro

Banned
He did a hell of a job for the ACC.
He did? While he was at UNC he insisted on additional sanctions be added Clemson's probation because it made the ACC look bad in regards to academics. How is that for irony with the sheet UNC pulled for the last 20+ years.
How long did he keep the ACC basketball tourney in Greensboro? Ya know because everyone in the US wants to go there for a vacation.
I blame him for allowing a former UNC Cheer-fing-Leader to head the NCAA investigation on us for improper cell phones....ya know how that turned out.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If he hadn't died in 2000, I would recommend the ACC hire the 1960's singer Oliver (known for Good Morning, Starshine and Jean). He had some connections and a good voice. In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, he was Swofford's brother.

As far as Swofford doing a good job for the ACC, maybe so, as long as the school was located between Chapel Hill and Durham.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll take the job, first Duke , VT , UNC, and Miami have to schedule Clemson each year. All our ( whoops I'm not supposed to know I'm prejudiced) all Tech's conference games will be at home. Second football games can sale beer at home games ,fans of visiting teams from the SEC will have to pay twice the price for a beer and if an ACC fan is in line they can go ahead of any visiting fan. Third all ACC schools must make their student-athletes take calculus 2 years and past.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll take the job, first Duke , VT , UNC, and Miami have to schedule Clemson each year. All our ( whoops I'm not supposed to know I'm prejudiced) all Tech's conference games will be at home. Second football games can sale beer at home games ,fans of visiting teams from the SEC will have to pay twice the price for a beer and if an ACC fan is in line they can go ahead of any visiting fan. Third all ACC schools must make their student-athletes take classes 2 years and pass.
FIFY

Milwaukee

Banned
He did? While he was at UNC he insisted on additional sanctions be added Clemson's probation because it made the ACC look bad in regards to academics. How is that for irony with the sheet UNC pulled for the last 20+ years.
How long did he keep the ACC basketball tourney in Greensboro? Ya know because everyone in the US wants to go there for a vacation.
I blame him for allowing a former UNC Cheer-fing-Leader to head the NCAA investigation on us for improper cell phones....ya know how that turned out.

You seem really upset at the man. I’d let it go.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
What's wrong with Bojangles? They don't have sides...they have fixin's.

91187fff4bf0a566d2cac36b0e945f1a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
We are a decade behind the b10 and the sec in getting our own network, thus forgoing billions of dollars, just to keep his son employed at raycom.
Adding the big east football schools minus wvu is nice, but I fail to believe that it wouldn't have happened anyway. Pretty sure anyone could have made those deals. "Hey, want to join the acc? We're mainly in the south, the largest college sports market there is, where 90% of the football and basketball recruits on the east coast live, half our of conference are top academic institutions/aau members, and somehow we are still able to compete."

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We are a decade behind the b10 and the sec in getting our own network, thus forgoing billions of dollars, just to keep his son employed at raycom.
Adding the big east football schools minus wvu is nice, but I fail to believe that it wouldn't have happened anyway. Pretty sure anyone could have made those deals. "Hey, want to join the acc? We're mainly in the south, the largest college sports market there is, where 90% of the football and basketball recruits on the east coast live, half our of conference are top academic institutions/aau members, and somehow we are still able to compete."

And he allowed a team to become a member without becoming a member who receives the benefit of membership.

Wonder what the lil girl git under the table for that deal?

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. This is correct. I hate when people take credit for 'momentum'.

I think the next commissioner needs to restructure the conference to improve competition...its really bad right now, and there is more that can be done: stipulate spend thresholds for ACC-revenue payouts on revenue-generating sports, invest in soccer, re-consider division structures in light of parity / natural rivalries, offer more support for infrastructure (i.e. help programs build back-office functions, facility improvements, etc.).....some of these ideas may not happen, but the competition has to improve for this to be a fun conference.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
DRad loves power and "building". I am sure he would love building a conference as much as he does building structures.
DRad is a salesman. If he wasn’t an AD, he would be an account executive, and probably be quite good at it. I think we should go for a total outside hire. I wouldn’t be against hiring a business executive without athletic admin experience.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I could go with Radakovich.
1. No ties to North Carolina
2. Knows the ACC and SEC
3. Knows the issues that GT faces.
4. Like someone mentioned above, he is a builder.
5. Could be the guy that makes people look at the ACC as a football conference vs the SEC.