Swinney signs 8 year contract.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Dabo just signed an 8 year extension with Clemson. Will reportedly be third coach next year in the 3 mil per year club in the ACC. Joins Jimbo and.......Petrino. Can't believe the ville hired him back and cant believe they are willing to pay him that much....wow. I'd agree that Dabo and Jimbo deserve their raises though, even if Dabo can't beat Spurrier.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Clemson will come to regret this. Dabo is a figurehead, plain and simple. Clemson's strength is in their coordinators. The OC Chad Morris is a protege of Gus Malzahn, and teams have had trouble defending this offense. The DC Brent Venables is considered one of the best in the business. They are both highly compensated. At some point, Dabo is going to lose one or both coordinators, and then his lack of coaching ability will become glaringly obvious, in the way that Gene Chizik went from a national championship coach to a cellar dweller.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Dabo pretty good. Think he is a good guy. He does a good job as a CEO so to speak but when Chad Morris gets an HC job it will be interesting to see if Dabo can keep things rolling.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yeah but Dabo is a great motivator, salesman, and recruiter, he puts all the pieces on the chessboard. 2 10 win seasons and 2 BCS apperances its deserved.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
He just got paid, but he has earned it. He worked his way up, and has not bailed on Clemson even though he probably could have. I like his CEO model. Be the face of the program, drive the boat, and hire smart XOs guys and let them do what they are good at.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Congrats to Dabo. Not going to say it's well deserved until 2021 because we won't know until then.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
He just got paid, but he has earned it. He worked his way up, and has not bailed on Clemson even though he probably could have. I like his CEO model. Be the face of the program, drive the boat, and hire smart XOs guys and let them do what they are good at.
Yup. Dabo gets the credit for making good hires. With the talent he recruits, there will always be star assistants attracted to work with him. Especially when the star assistant gets all the credit.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Have no issue with Dabo. He actually is good friends with PJ and often calls PJ for coaching stuff. Dabo is a good head coach. Hires good assistants.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Dabo is recruiter-in-chief at Clemson. And we have pretty much agreed on this blog that recruiting is critical for any success.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I like Dabo pretty good. Think he is a good guy. He does a good job as a CEO so to speak but when Chad Morris gets an HC job it will be interesting to see if Dabo can keep things rolling.

I have no doubt in my mind Clemson will drop significantly when one or both coordinators leave, and Clemson will be locked into this long term contract with a mediocre head coach. This was a stupid move.

gtdrew

Banned
Dabo is recruiter-in-chief at Clemson. And we have pretty much agreed on this blog that recruiting is critical for any success.
No. We haven't. Coaching is like cooking. Good ingredients are important, but if you can't cook, the best ingredients are still going to taste like crap. X-O's are just as important. Dabo is smart enough not to concern himself with what he isn't good at.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I never imagined Dabo making it this far. He has hired some great coordinators and see nothing but good things for that program. I worry the gap between us and them is going to widen.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson will come to regret this. Dabo is a figurehead, plain and simple. Clemson's strength is in their coordinators. The OC Chad Morris is a protege of Gus Malzahn, and teams have had trouble defending this offense. The DC Brent Venables is considered one of the best in the business. They are both highly compensated. At some point, Dabo is going to lose one or both coordinators, and then his lack of coaching ability will become glaringly obvious, in the way that Gene Chizik went from a national championship coach to a cellar dweller.

Agree 100%. Radakovich (sp?) strikes again.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No. We haven't. Coaching is like cooking. Good ingredients are important, but if you can't cook, the best ingredients are still going to taste like crap. X-O's are just as important. Dabo is smart enough not to concern himself with what he isn't good at.

I can say with 100% certainty that this just isn't true. The best coach in the world isn't taking bad players and beating teams with better players...not consistently.

I found out a long time ago that I'm a whole lot better coach when I have good players. You can coach players up but only so much. But if the other guy starts off with better players and he coaches his up too, then you're not catching up to him.

gtdrew

Banned
I can say with 100% certainty that this just isn't true. The best coach in the world isn't taking bad players and beating teams with better players...not consistently.

I found out a long time ago that I'm a whole lot better coach when I have good players. You can coach players up but only so much. But if the other guy starts off with better players and he coaches his up too, then you're not catching up to him.[/quote
I've coached, too. I've seen it happen a lot. Talent is important, but it isnt' everything. If it were, Charlie Weis would still be @ Notre Dame and Ron Zook would still be @ Illinois. If you need great players to win games, maybe you're not that good a coach.