Swilling Bros....

MountPGT1990

Banned
Sounds like they both might be giving their verbals to GT pretty soon??? Anybody heard anything about this today? That would be a huge boost for next years class. Both had offers to some big time programs: Bama, LSU, Nebraska, USC, etc.

Fingers crossed!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Why is he a magnet . He is a good communicator and a steady coach AND if they have wheels He LETS TRUE FRESHMAN PLAY. In 14 during last 4 games he let DB (Austin twins and Step) play significant minutes.
15 ditto LB and DL.
in 16 I expect him to sub even more.
THE BETTER KIDS WANT TO PLAY ASAP.
If we change to blitzing defense that causes turn overs we could get even better recruits .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a case of what used to be the norm, but has dramatically fallen off in recent years: legacy. Most kids today simply value other things more than legacy. It's very apparent that is not the case with the Swillings. When talking about why they chose GT, almost all the comments surrounded their dad and uncle and their legacy.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it comes down to a scared mentality of the younger folks (coming from a 26 year old). So many people today want the easy path and want to avoid any and all challenges / adversity.

Then you have some throwback type kids who take a challenge head on, embracing it. For us in this case, enter the Swillings. I'm pumped for many reasons... talent, legacy, but most of all, their mentality. They also seem like genuinely good people that fit the tech mold.

Work hard, train hard, and you'll be set!

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it comes down to a scared mentality of the younger folks (coming from a 26 year old). So many people today want the easy path and want to avoid any and all challenges / adversity.

Then you have some throwback type kids who take a challenge head on, embracing it. For us in this case, enter the Swillings. I'm pumped for many reasons... talent, legacy, but most of all, their mentality. They also seem like genuinely good people that fit the tech mold.

Work hard, train hard, and you'll be set!
You are right it is rare these days, but most that choose GT whether athletes or not seem to have more of this ethic and mentality of knowing that they have to work very hard to achieve their goals and putting importance in past legacy as well as the legacy they leave behind.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It's clear that the values of hard work, education, and respect have been well-instilled in these gentlemen. I am glad they have the fortitude to ignore all of the pandering and accept that nothing will be given to them without earning it. I think there are a lot of kids (and adults for damn sure) who agree with these values but don't have the will to stand up for them without support from peers. The attitudes that they bring will be very compatible with the culture we are building in our football program at Tech. Hopefully they can also be the supportive peers that will help build strong leadership in those with potential who have unfortunately been lacking in example and opportunity to develop it.

Even if we don't get better on the field, I feel proud of the product we are developing.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Considering that Chad Clay was a GT legacy of a great GT player, and yet still choose ug over us kinda says it all about the kid, what happened afterwards is just the proof in the pudding