Swarm Makeover

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I actually realized, in the old design, there used to be a section in the top navigation bar where there was a drop-down of list of different forums that you could jump to, is that what you are referring to?

If not, definitely need more information. For the most part (except for chat and tapatalk not being supported yet), there should be feature parity between the old design and new design.

Like the new look.

Disappointed the Tapatalk is having a problem though. How many freaking out trying to figure out :unsure:what was wrong with my Tapatalk. Finally went over to the webview and now know why 💡

@John , do you have a time line when it may be functional on Tapatalk?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I keep saying the new look sucks.

Actually, I can take or leave it. My main problem is that it scrolls longer because all the extra stuff means each post takes up more room. It also offends against a general preference for minimalism on my part; fewer geegaws the better, say I.

But I can live with it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Like the new look.

Disappointed the Tapatalk is having a problem though. How many freaking out trying to figure out :unsure:what was wrong with my Tapatalk. Finally went over to the webview and now know why 💡

@John , do you have a time line when it may be functional on Tapatalk?
Yea the mods were talking about this internally. Unfortunately, I am about 98% sure we're going to opt to keep tapatalk disabled for a few different reasons one of which is that with the upgrade, mobile web browsing has been much improved inherently within the software itself. So I'd much rather focus on the pain points for mobile web browsing experience and trying to make that easier to use instead of relying on a third party service like tapatalk where they inject their own ads and pretty much had free reign on user data.

So what else sucks about mobile web browsing experience that I can help improve?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I keep saying the new look sucks.

Actually, I can take or leave it. My main problem is that it scrolls longer because all the extra stuff means each post takes up more room. It also offends against a general preference for minimalism on my part; fewer geegaws the better, say I.

But I can live with it.
The irony is that I've been staring at this new design internally for at least six months (on and off) to get it ready but I realize because of that I'm just really used to it already and didn't realize how big of a change it is for everyone that's seeing it for the very first time. 😅

WIth that said, can you clarify the "each post takes up more room" part? Are you specifically talking about while browsing on mobile? I actually don't see each post taking more space, the design of the individual posts (at least with my adjusted eyes) has not changed much.

Thanks for the feedback.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The irony is that I've been staring at this new design internally for at least six months (on and off) to get it ready but I realize because of that I'm just really used to it already and didn't realize how big of a change it is for everyone that's seeing it for the very first time. 😅

WIth that said, can you clarify the "each post takes up more room" part? Are you specifically talking about while browsing on mobile? I actually don't see each post taking more space, the design of the individual posts (at least with my adjusted eyes) has not changed much.

Thanks for the feedback.
The links post like a banner where you can read the preview, etc instead of one line, the quoting function seems to take up a bit more space. I think it’s fine. It’s just new and once you get used to the new look you can’t even remember what the old one looked like.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@John I have done a fair amount of UX and Design work and love what you all have done. Thanks for the labor of love effort you give. Really like the new layout and I even cancelled my tapatalk subscription (your timing was perfect as it was set to renew for the year in a week).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How do we stop threads from sending us emails when there are replies?

Used to have to do it manually via the Options button. I tried setting my preferences today to not send email notifications. No dice on that.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
How do we stop threads from sending us emails when there are replies?

Used to have to do it manually via the Options button. I tried setting my preferences today to not send email notifications. No dice on that.
Hrm, this functionality should not be new with the upgrade. Are you all of a sudden getting more emails after the update?

You'll get an email for threads that you are watching. So at the top of the thread, there should be a button to "Unwatch".

In addition, there is an option in your account preferences that will default to watching for threads you create or one you interact (post) with, this can be seen here:

By default, these options should be turned off but if not, you can turn these off so you aren't needing to "unwatch" every thread manually.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Not sure if its been posted yet, but if yall are looking for a way to get back to the interface that shows all the sub-forums, just click on the Georgia Tech Swarm header on the front page.

Deleted member 2897

This place is really getting depressing and suffocating. One of the singularly most popular threads (Coronavirus) was permanently closed today because of politics. I read a few posts that were accused to be political, but they sure didn’t seem political at all to me. It was about a guy that died after being cavalier about traveling, being in crowds, and not wearing a mask.

Why can’t the Mods just move or delete those posts instead of punishing the community? You have the ability to warn and even ban people who break the rules. This is really getting sad.