Swarm Comic Book Club

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Started reading comics with Uncanny X-Men #183 when I was about 9 years old and I've gone on many adventures since.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/why-greatest-x-men-comic-about-drunken-brawl/

What are some of people's favorites and what, if anything, are you still reading today?

I'm a long-standing X-Men fan overall, with particular focus on Uncanny X-Men & Excalibur.

That said, here are some of my favorite titles outside the superhero genre:
I'll probably come up with a ton more, but let's kick off the thread there.

Started reading comics with Uncanny X-Men #183 when I was about 9 years old and I've gone on many adventures since.

https://www.cracked.com/blog/why-greatest-x-men-comic-about-drunken-brawl/

What are some of people's favorites and what, if anything, are you still reading today?

I'm a long-standing X-Men fan overall, with particular focus on Uncanny X-Men & Excalibur.

That said, here are some of my favorite titles outside the superhero genre:
I'll probably come up with a ton more, but let's kick off the thread there.
Oh, dear. Yet another thread about something I ONCE enjoyed .... LOL
I have a large collection of comic books from the 50s. Almost all of them though are not action comics, but "funny" comics (Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, etc). I do have a few (very few) action comics from that era, plus maybe 50 old "Classics Comics", which I often used in school as a substitute for reading the actual book.....LOL

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh, dear. Yet another thread about something I ONCE enjoyed .... LOL
I have a large collection of comic books from the 50s. Almost all of them though are not action comics, but "funny" comics (Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, etc). I do have a few (very few) action comics from that era, plus maybe 50 old "Classics Comics", which I often used in school as a substitute for reading the actual book.....LOL

Something I hope to do over time.is donate my collection, hopefully here, after seeing their panel at Dragon Con last year.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...10000-comics-young-harris-at-dragon-con-2018/

Something I hope to do over time.is donate my collection, hopefully here, after seeing their panel at Dragon Con last year.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...10000-comics-young-harris-at-dragon-con-2018/
I doubt that any in the genre I have would be of much interest to collectors or comic book libraries. If they are, I would gladly leave them to someone or a library after I pass on. None are in anywhere near what we be called mint condition, but only a very few of them are frayed and probably worthless.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I doubt that any in the genre I have would be of much interest to collectors or comic book libraries. If they are, I would gladly leave them to someone or a library after I pass on. None are in anywhere near what we be called mint condition, but only a very few of them are frayed and probably worthless.

The folks managing the collection at Young Harris College are more interested in their broad application for academia, ranging from the underlying art to analyzing how they conveyed the trends of the day. I don't believe they're worried about monetary value.

The folks managing the collection at Young Harris College are more interested in their broad application for academia, ranging from the underlying art to analyzing how they conveyed the trends of the day. I don't believe they're worried about monetary value.
I wasn't referring to monetary value, but just a general interest in the genre that I have.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just found out that I’ll recieve my last TWD comic next month unexpectedly. Guess I’ll get started on “Scalped” which has been sitting on my shelf for quite a White.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just found out that I’ll recieve my last TWD comic next month unexpectedly. Guess I’ll get started on “Scalped” which has been sitting on my shelf for quite a White.

Yep. Last issue of TWD came out on Wednesday. It's all over.

I think you might like Deadly Class, both the comic book and the TV show.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If anyone has a history of reading X-Men comics and is open-minded about drastic changes to their entire world, the first 3 weeks of House of X/Powers of X have been a really good read.

You gotta be willing to embrace change though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've gone back and looked. In all my Marvel "Captain Marvel" comics from the 70's and 80's, he's a dude.

I don't know what to believe anymore ... if you can't believe comic books ...

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been reading/collecting since the mid 80s and I have been enjoying the Powers of X/House of X so far but I gotta see more than a few issues to be willing to say Marvel has their stuff together. IN MY OPINION, other than a few books (Immortal Hulk) Marvel hasn't had many good comics in a loooonnnnggg time. I think Disney turned them into a movie studio that happens to have a publishing wing instead of the a comic company that has movies based on their characters. I say the opposite about DC these days. I think DC comics are great right now and they just can't get the movie thing figured out.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've been reading/collecting since the mid 80s and I have been enjoying the Powers of X/House of X so far but I gotta see more than a few issues to be willing to say Marvel has their stuff together. IN MY OPINION, other than a few books (Immortal Hulk) Marvel hasn't had many good comics in a loooonnnnggg time. I think Disney turned them into a movie studio that happens to have a publishing wing instead of the a comic company that has movies based on their characters. I say the opposite about DC these days. I think DC comics are great right now and they just can't get the movie thing figured out.

I think that's a fair statement, but I dumped DC after New 52. I didn't have it in me to keep going with them following another reboot.

After many years of blindly supporting my local store, they closed anyway. Since then, I've scaled back solely to X-books, Sandman related, and a few Image titles.

Image really has some of the best stuff nowadays, much of it not superhero stuff.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I would highly recommend subscribing to DC Universe and Marvel Unlimited. While its not like holding the books in your hands, the reader is great, the collection is massive and I easily paid for the subscriptions to the point where I reupped them. DC also allows access to tv shows.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Following up on House of X/Powers of X, the subsequent Dawn of X series have been generally good. I've particularly enjoyed Excalibur, Marauders, and New Mutants. X-Men & X-Force have been pretty good. Fallen Angels seems like they just tried to shoehorn some popular characters in to a book for sales.

Read some collected editions recently...

Silver Surfer Black by Donny Cates & Tradd Moore - Pretty good standalone Surfer story, but the real showstopper here is Tradd Moore's artwork. It's absolutely bonkers. I actually managed to snag a piece of the original artwork before reading the book because it was that crazy. Here's an example...

adcd7773-screen-shot-2019-06-10-at-4.41.39-pm.png

Another recently read book that was excellent was Little Bird: The Fight for Elder's Hope. Excellent story and more wild illustration. It'd be interesting to see how people react to the story, as it may generate conflicting feelings.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/little-bird-the-fight-for-elders-hope-hc

3f917a3ff9a7f81d71d1aa8598b5458b._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Final book I recently read was Faithless. To be blunt, it's a sex-fueled romp through the intersection of witchcraft and the art world. Doesn't matter, I loved it.
https://www.boom-studios.com/series/faithless/

A lot of great, interesting stories out there and comics are far from kid stuff nowadays.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s old stuff, but I’m working my way through “Transmetropolitan”. I like Warren Ellis as a writer so far. It’s an amazing amount of cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk