Summer Progress?

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s likely a bit too early to really tell, but since I am jonesing for Jacket basketball, I’ll ask anyway. Does anyone have a sense of who’s practicing well, who’s looking like they maybe taking a step up to be what we need in ‘18-‘19. Has Moses learned to catch the ball better? Does Sylvester look like he will be able to at all? Is anybody in the gym besides Brandon Alston? Does Devoe look like he’s really a player? Sjolund? Moore? Phillips? ( Like I said, I’m jonesing for info, lol).

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s likely a bit too early to really tell, but since I am jonesing for Jacket basketball, I’ll ask anyway. Does anyone have a sense of who’s practicing well, who’s looking like they maybe taking a step up to be what we need in ‘18-‘19. Has Moses learned to catch the ball better? Does Sylvester look like he will be able to at all? Is anybody in the gym besides Brandon Alston? Does Devoe look like he’s really a player? Sjolund? Moore? Phillips? ( Like I said, I’m jonesing for info, lol).
I just wanna say that I'm gonna miss seeing Tadric J and Ben Lammers out there, being that Tadric went to my HS and could straight ball and still can I'm gonna miss seeing them on the court but I believe we're gonna be fine at both positions so here's to a we hope a Great year in basketball it's early but we can still hope for a Great year in basketball Go Jackets

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I just wanna say that I'm gonna miss seeing Tadric J and Ben Lammers out there, being that Tadric went to my HS and could straight ball and still can I'm gonna miss seeing them on the court but I believe we're gonna be fine at both positions so here's to a we hope a Great year in basketball it's early but we can still hope for a Great year in basketball Go Jackets

Punctuation saves lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Injury updates

The team began offseason workouts June 11 and will go for eight consecutive weeks. Players can be with coaches for four hours a week, which Pastner will split up into three 40-minute sessions and two one-hour practices.

Sophomore guards Curtis Haywood and Jose Alvarado are “full go,” Pastner said, after recuperating from season-ending injuries. Haywood had a stress reaction in his right shin and Alvarado fractured his left elbow.

The injury bug continues to bite, however. Forward Abdoulaye Gueye twisted an ankle last week. Guard Shembarri Phillips hurt his wrist on the first day of workouts and was to be out for three weeks.

Also some positive comments on Banks in there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great news on Alvarado and Haywood. Glad to hear they are 100%

Bummer to hear about injuries to Gueye and Phillips but they happen and better now than in the fall.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

After the stress fracture was diagnosed, Haywood said doctors told him that, had he kept playing, he would have risked the sort of gruesome fracture that NBA star Paul George suffered in 2014.

“So thank God I stopped playing and didn’t force it and got surgery,” he said.

Haywood had a metal rod inserted in his leg. He said he still feels soreness in his knee (where the rod was inserted), but said he feels like he is getting stronger.
Alvarado is trying to become smarter with the ball to limit turnovers, a major priority for Pastner. He also wants to become more adept from the perimeter. The team set a summer goal for each player to make 10,000 3-pointers in private shooting sessions. (Both the Zelnak Center practice court and McCamish Pavilion are outfitted with a shot-tracking system that calculates makes, misses, shooting arc, depth and left/right variation.)

As of June 29, Alvarado said he had made about 2,500 3-pointers and was making them at a clip around 60 percent.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Damn I knew I had something in common with Jose but I didn't know I had the same thing with Curtis! My was stress induced as well...................70 mph impact to the front end of my car :cool:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who is Crawford?
There used to be a job title in the publishing business called "Copy Editor." The AJC had a slew of them. Along the way to the Internet being the source for news, the publishing industry decided MS Word could do the job of editing copy. Crawford looked good to Word. I imagine Ken was trying to multi-task and get this story in by deadline and Crawford was occupying another universe in his brain right up to the moment Ken hit the Send key. I offer there/their/they're as examples of things the AJC used to get right, but I see used incorrectly on the Swarm frequently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There used to be a job title in the publishing business called "Copy Editor." The AJC had a slew of them. Along the way to the Internet being the source for news, the publishing industry decided MS Word could do the job of editing copy. Crawford looked good to Word. I imagine Ken was trying to multi-task and get this story in by deadline and Crawford was occupying another universe in his brain right up to the moment Ken hit the Send key. I offer there/their/they're as examples of things the AJC used to get right, but I see used incorrectly on the Swarm frequently.
You mean there not doing that at the AJC anymore? :p