Summer League thread

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Christian had a great summer of work for Lonestar Baseball in the Centex Collegiate League (part of National Baseball Congress www.nbcbaseball.com).
1660054851629.png

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
A fastball that "stays on plane" doesn't sound like a good thing to me. Leads me to believe I must not know what that means. Can someone explain to me what that means.

Thx
Stays on plane, in this context, means that it doesn't sink from gravitational forces as much as would be expected. It usually means that it has good spin resulting in more "lift" if you will. The result of staying on plane is that it gives the pitch the illusion to the hitter that it is rising, causing a lot of swing and misses from swinging under the pitch, and also causing the hitter to chase pitches out of the strike zone high more than normal. A prime example of this at the MLB level is the comparison between Spencer Strider's fastball and Hunter Greene's fastball. Greene actually throws harder (or did before his shoulder issues of the last few weeks), but hitters time his and are able to mash against it, whereas Strider usually gets a lot of swing and misses.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Stays on plane, in this context, means that it doesn't sink from gravitational forces as much as would be expected. It usually means that it has good spin resulting in more "lift" if you will. The result of staying on plane is that it gives the pitch the illusion to the hitter that it is rising, causing a lot of swing and misses from swinging under the pitch, and also causing the hitter to chase pitches out of the strike zone high more than normal. A prime example of this at the MLB level is the comparison between Spencer Strider's fastball and Hunter Greene's fastball. Greene actually throws harder (or did before his shoulder issues of the last few weeks), but hitters time his and are able to mash against it, whereas Strider usually gets a lot of swing and misses.
great response ..... thanks for the enlightenment. Wonder what else I don't know, LOL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I shared links with Beesball to get the NEBL stats for Logan, Aeden, Cody and Cam. Aren't Jett and Tyler there too?

Great to see Dalton is back in action.

Just looked at summer stats in more detail. The only four pitchers that I saw who could be on our roster next year look to have had productive summers!

They are:
1660390776366.png

And Beesball didn't have data for Cody and Aeden. But your link did:
1660405923460.png

Aeden got lit up in the last game, otherwise good. Was Slow Hook coaching?
1660406022658.png

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
should be a great and big year for Jake...

(from the article)
Jake DeLeo, OF, Georgia Tech (2022)- DeLeo has tantalized with his power/speed tool set since showing up at Georgia Tech and has put together flashes of excellence over his first two collegiate springs. The physical, athletic 6-1, 200-pounder ranked second on the Anglers with four homers this summer while hitting a respectable (for the Cape) .248, but his pitch selection remains a work in progress, as evidenced by his 44-13 K-BB mark. DeLeo’s bat stays on plane for a long time but his hips can leak and his timing can be inconsistent, limiting consistent hard contact. His speed plays well in the outfield, where he has solid instincts and tracks the ball well.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's assume this was a summer game (thread integrity).

On the way home, here's the breakdown of what these players said following the game to mom/dad:
50% - "I just LOVE baseball"
20% - "I preferred a chocolate over vanilla milkshake"
10% - "The umps sucked...again"
10% - "We just gotta bunt more"
10% - "When can I hit the transfer portal"

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's assume this was a summer game (thread integrity).

On the way home, here's the breakdown of what these players said following the game to mom/dad:
50% - "I just LOVE baseball"
20% - "I preferred a chocolate over vanilla milkshake"
10% - "The umps sucked...again"
10% - "We just gotta bunt more"
10% - "When can I hit the transfer portal"

There are few things these days that can make you absolutely laugh out loud with joy but that video is one of them.