Summer League thread

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I prefer to think that their success in the summer leagues is because of the coaching they have been getting at Tech and hopefully that carries over into next year. Also, if I'm not mistaken, most of those summer leagues use wooden bats and that might account for some of the improvement as well.
I hope you are right. My concern is our coaching is not emphasizing location over metrics like velocity, spin rates, etc. Nor are we calling pitches specific to hitters weaknesses during games. I would classify all this as learning how to pitch to win vs metric-based coaching. I believe this was somewhat substantiated with CDH's recent interview in the AJC indicating CDB has a positive player development track record but is learning how to pitch-to-win "on the job" as he's never really had to do that in the Yankees minor league program...

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope you are right. My concern is our coaching is not emphasizing location over metrics like velocity, spin rates, etc. Nor are we calling pitches specific to hitters weaknesses during games. I would classify all this as learning how to pitch to win vs metric-based coaching. I believe this was somewhat substantiated with CDH's recent interview in the AJC indicating CDB has a positive player development track record but is learning how to pitch-to-win "on the job" as he's never really had to do that in the Yankees minor league program...
I realize we use metrics a lot in the development of the pitchers but I have no inside info that we don't emphasize location or pitching to a batter's weakness. Do you have an inside source that claims that to be the case? Or are you just speculating based on the results? We can all agree the results have not yet been what we would have hoped, but it is hard to believe that we wouldn't try to pitch to a batter's weaknesses and I have to believe that EVERY pitching coach at any advanced level stresses pitch location. Now whether or not the pitcher is able to hit his spots or not doesn't mean he is not being coached to do so.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
An update on the stats from the New England league.

Hill has a .85 ERA and 37 K to only 3 BB. McGuire has a 1.92 ERA and 42 K in 28 innings. Carwile has been great too with a 3.37 ERA and 36 K to 11 BB. Finateri has been solid with a mid 4 ERA.

On the offensive side, I saw that Lovett has a .319 average with 15 BB to 18 K. I fully expect him to be starting in left field next year. Romano is down to .252 but still has a good K to BB ratio.

I know it's just Summer stats, but it looks like our young pitchers have taken that next step and developed themselves. I believe that we'll see a rotation of McGuire, Carwile, and Finateri with Finley and Hill as the closers. Maybe Finateri gets moved to the weekday if one of the freshmen or Finley beats him out, but I'm really encouraged by the summer stats for our pitching.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow

Hill has a .85 ERA and 37 K to only 3 BB. McGuire has a 1.92 ERA and 42 K in 28 innings. Carwile has been great too with a 3.37 ERA and 36 K to 11 BB. Finateri has been solid with a mid 4 ERA.

On the offensive side, I saw that Lovett has a .319 average with 15 BB to 18 K. I fully expect him to be starting in left field next year. Romano is down to .252 but still has a good K to BB ratio.

I know it's just Summer stats, but it looks like our young pitchers have taken that next step and developed themselves. I believe that we'll see a rotation of McGuire, Carwile, and Finateri with Finley and Hill as the closers. Maybe Finateri gets moved to the weekday if one of the freshmen or Finley beats him out, but I'm really encourages by the summer stats for our pitching.
Outstanding news and thanks for sharing. Most encouraging is the low walk ratio!

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow

I know it's just Summer stats, but it looks like our young pitchers have taken that next step and developed themselves. I believe that we'll see a rotation of McGuire, Carwile, and Finateri with Finley and Hill as the closers. Maybe Finateri gets moved to the weekday if one of the freshmen or Finley beats him out, but I'm really encouraged by the summer stats for our pitching.
Prince has played really well so far this summer too. The OF is going to be a great battle to watch, with Deleo and Reid, plus the guys that have had good summers.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Atta boys Cam and Logan!

Two Georgia Tech pitchers also looked good for the South all-stars. Martha’s Vineyard lefty Camron Hill is a 6-foot-6, 210-pound Adonis with high pockets and intriguing projection. He has a loose, easy arm swing to a high three-quarters slot that produced 89-93 mph heat with slightly above-average spin rates into the 2300s, and he blew his fastball by a couple of hitters for strikeouts in his 1-2-3 frame. He also flashed a good slider at 82-83 with tight spin in the 2500s and good bite, and he was able to land it for a strike. And he mixed in a couple of changeups at 84 mph with arm speed and action, resulting in one swing-and-miss. His Georgia Tech teammate, Newport righthander Logan McGuire, also has a lean, projectable frame at 6-3, 192 pounds, with a clean arm action and a simple delivery. He works downhill from a high slot and can miss bats with a 90-91 mph fastball that stays on plane well. McGuire struck out one with his fastball in a scoreless inning, and threw just one secondary pitch — a fringy 82 mph changeup.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Atta boys Cam and Logan!

Two Georgia Tech pitchers also looked good for the South all-stars. Martha’s Vineyard lefty Camron Hill is a 6-foot-6, 210-pound Adonis with high pockets and intriguing projection. He has a loose, easy arm swing to a high three-quarters slot that produced 89-93 mph heat with slightly above-average spin rates into the 2300s, and he blew his fastball by a couple of hitters for strikeouts in his 1-2-3 frame. He also flashed a good slider at 82-83 with tight spin in the 2500s and good bite, and he was able to land it for a strike. And he mixed in a couple of changeups at 84 mph with arm speed and action, resulting in one swing-and-miss. His Georgia Tech teammate, Newport righthander Logan McGuire, also has a lean, projectable frame at 6-3, 192 pounds, with a clean arm action and a simple delivery. He works downhill from a high slot and can miss bats with a 90-91 mph fastball that stays on plane well. McGuire struck out one with his fastball in a scoreless inning, and threw just one secondary pitch — a fringy 82 mph changeup.
A fastball that "stays on plane" doesn't sound like a good thing to me. Leads me to believe I must not know what that means. Can someone explain to me what that means.

Thx