summer fun...make a dream team per coach

BTGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Perhaps the negative nancies can use this to knock PJ's recruiting, but I think it would be interesting to post an all-star line-up to run Johnson's option for each of the following coaches - George O'Leary, Chan Gailey, and Paul Johnson.
I'll give it a shot based more on my favorites, than perhaps the most heralded.

O'Leary - 1994-2001

QB - Joe Hamilton
WR- Kelly Campbell
WR - Harvey Middleton
LT - Ken Celaj
LG - Chris Brown
C - Micheal Cheever
RG - Craig Page
RT - Jon Carman
AB - Jonathan Smith (great slot that can run/catch)
AB - Charlie Rogers
BB - CJ Willaims

Chan Gailey - 2002-2007

QB - Reggie Ball (can't believe I'd pick him, Nesbit would not be as good as a Fr and Ball could likely run the option
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Demaryius Thomas (FR)
LT - Nat Dorsey
LG - Andrew Gardner
C - Nate McManus
RG - Mansfield Wrotto
RT - John Paul Foschi (TE that could play tackle)
AB - Tashard Choice
AB - Tony Hollings (6.8 ypc on 92 att - best back that never was)
BB - PJ Daniels

PJ - 2008-present

QB - Nesbit
WR - D. Thomas
WR - D. Smelter (no Hill, can't catch and a head case)
LT - Will Jackson
LG - Shaq Mason
C - Sean Bedford
RG -O. Uzzi
RT - Nick Claytor
AB - Anthony Allen
AB - Orwin Smith
BB - J. Dwyer

Based on these three line-ups, I would say that O'Leary's team would win, only bc Hamilton is the best QB and would lead the team to victory. No one can stay will Campbell on the fly route. Middleton can run real routes. The OL is solid. CJ Williams was good enough and Charlie Rogers is harder to tackle than Godhigh. Jonathan Smith was good enough to get drafted and can both run and catch.

Gailey's team should be first on talent but would finish second. Reggie at QB is not that bad. As much as I didn't enjoy four years of Reggie, he would have been fine in Johnson's offense. He ran tough. With Calvin and D. Thomas running deep routes and blocking, you couldn't stop this offense. Two NFL linemen, and solid backs. Hollings is the best back I've seen in person at Tech. He was so fast and was pretty elusive too. If Gailey hadn't given him 59 carries in his last game, maybe no torn acl.

PJ's group finishes last. Great backs and a solid QB. But a weaker line IMO. D. Thomas is solid as a JR, Smelter would be a good #2. Nesbit was a tough QB but still struggled to throw the ball.

Defense next time.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is Claytor starting at RT under Johnson? He didn't even start on the teams he played on. Barrick(sp?) was a much better lineman and he played RT not to mention Sellers who actually started above him at LT.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
O'Leary's team would dominate with that OL. They'd also have the best depth.

I'd change B-Back to Joe Burns with (healthy) Ed Wilder as backup.

My A-Backs would be Kelly Campbell, Charlie Rogers, CJ Williams, and Freddie Smith.

My wideouts would be Middleton and and Dez White with Kerry Watkins and Steagall behind them.

Of course I would never do this as Fridge's system was superior.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That's DT as a Freshman. Not even close to the same player. Also, Gailey coaching=disadvantage.
As a #2 WR he would still be fine even as a freshman he wasn't bad. He just had too many drops but he could still make plays. You could substitute J. Smith or Watkins there but I think the DT's bigger frame would fit better. Also, I think we're assuming CPJ is the coach of all these teams.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Perhaps the negative nancies can use this to knock PJ's recruiting, but I think it would be interesting to post an all-star line-up to run Johnson's option for each of the following coaches - George O'Leary, Chan Gailey, and Paul Johnson.
I'll give it a shot based more on my favorites, than perhaps the most heralded.

O'Leary - 1994-2001

QB - Joe Hamilton
WR- Kelly Campbell
WR - Harvey Middleton
LT - Ken Celaj
LG - Chris Brown
C - Micheal Cheever
RG - Craig Page
RT - Jon Carman
AB - Jonathan Smith (great slot that can run/catch)
AB - Charlie Rogers
BB - CJ Willaims

Chan Gailey - 2002-2007

QB - Reggie Ball (can't believe I'd pick him, Nesbit would not be as good as a Fr and Ball could likely run the option
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Demaryius Thomas (FR)
LT - Nat Dorsey
LG - Andrew Gardner
C - Nate McManus
RG - Mansfield Wrotto
RT - John Paul Foschi (TE that could play tackle)
AB - Tashard Choice
AB - Tony Hollings (6.8 ypc on 92 att - best back that never was)
BB - PJ Daniels

PJ - 2008-present

QB - Nesbit
WR - D. Thomas
WR - D. Smelter (no Hill, can't catch and a head case)
LT - Will Jackson
LG - Shaq Mason
C - Sean Bedford
RG -O. Uzzi
RT - Nick Claytor
AB - Anthony Allen
AB - Orwin Smith
BB - J. Dwyer

Based on these three line-ups, I would say that O'Leary's team would win, only bc Hamilton is the best QB and would lead the team to victory. No one can stay will Campbell on the fly route. Middleton can run real routes. The OL is solid. CJ Williams was good enough and Charlie Rogers is harder to tackle than Godhigh. Jonathan Smith was good enough to get drafted and can both run and catch.

Gailey's team should be first on talent but would finish second. Reggie at QB is not that bad. As much as I didn't enjoy four years of Reggie, he would have been fine in Johnson's offense. He ran tough. With Calvin and D. Thomas running deep routes and blocking, you couldn't stop this offense. Two NFL linemen, and solid backs. Hollings is the best back I've seen in person at Tech. He was so fast and was pretty elusive too. If Gailey hadn't given him 59 carries in his last game, maybe no torn acl.

PJ's group finishes last. Great backs and a solid QB. But a weaker line IMO. D. Thomas is solid as a JR, Smelter would be a good #2. Nesbit was a tough QB but still struggled to throw the ball.

Defense next time.

I think Reggie would have made a great AB... too bad.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Really fun exercise.
O'leary:
QB: Joe (duh)
BB: Burns (Wiley 2nd)
AB: Dez White (Fridge had Dez running some AB when he used this formation)
AB: Charlie Rogers
WR: Kelly Campbell
WR: Watkins
Best 5 OL: Dorsey, Paige, Brown, Carman, don't remember

Gailey
QB: Ball (would've been really good in this offense, imo. perfect for it; I'm afraid Bilbo would been another Vad, looks perfect but doesn't have the physical mentality to thrive in it)
BB: Hollings
AB: Daniels
AB: Choice (Sampson was a good RB who was part of flunkgate, but everyone would've known him), this is a deadly backfield
WR: CJ (biggest duh ever)
WR: Jonathan Smith (got to give DT to CPJ; Nate Curry would be a close 3rd. Lakeldrick Bridges is another whose name would've been widely known if not for flunkgate), this is a deadly WR core
Best 5 OL: Kyle Wallace, Andrew Garner, Mansfield Wrotto, Brad Honeycutt, Hugh Reilly (Raymond Roberts-Blake would be hard to pass up, and I agree with the JP Foshi pick as well, Matt forgot his last name would've also been good in this offense). Wrotto and Honey would probably be your guards, Reilly would probably be the center, Garner and Wallace the Tackles. Roberts-Blake might be as good as any of them at any position. Foshi would be a really good tackle.

Johnson
QB: Nesbitt (Tevin can make a case here)
BB: Dwyer (big duh)
AB: Godhigh
AB: Orwin (Allen can make a good case, he'd be first off the bench for all 3 spots)
WR: DT (big duh)
WR: Smelter (agree with that pick wholeheartedly, Hill would be first off the bench though)
Best 5 OL: Mason, Uzzi, Gilbert, Howard, Finch

I think Gailey's is actually the best. CPJ's is darn good too though. I think O'leary's is a little behind the other two; maybe I'm underestimating what Joe would do in this offense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Really fun exercise.

I think Gailey's is actually the best. CPJ's is darn good too though. I think O'leary's is a little behind the other two; maybe I'm underestimating what Joe would do in this offense.

oddly enough, I think GOL's is the best ...because of Joe. he was the complete package. great physical gifts and understood the game. would have mastered the offense. we all (I think) agree that perhaps RB would have been a better fit in the PJ's offense but he never demonstrated mastering all the skills that a QB in any offense requires (not going to dredge up examples to support my argument here). Joe would have giving us the passing threat that we have desperately wanted in this O to really loosen up the running game.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
People are forgetting how good our OL was back in the GOL days and how poor it has been since.

GOL had nine different All-ACC lineman. Two of which were all Americans.

Add Joe Hamilton to that and they're the best at that point alone.

I also think people are forgetting how good those wideouts were. Gailey and Johnson (if you give him DT) a better #1 WR but GOL has 3-4 better than their number 2 and a lot of them are slot types that can play AB.