Summer Baseball Assignments

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Time to move onto the summer fellas...
From last years summer assignments please refer to the link below:
https://ramblinwreck.com/yellow-jackets-announce-2018-summer-baseball-assignments/

As you all know the correlation between the Cape and draft.
I see right now on the Cape rosters , Colin Hall, Luke Bartnicki, and Luke Waddel.
And Hurter but he is obviously not going.
That's a far cry from how many Yellow Jackets where at the Cape last summer.
I wonder why?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Time to move onto the summer fellas...
From last years summer assignments please refer to the link below:
https://ramblinwreck.com/yellow-jackets-announce-2018-summer-baseball-assignments/

As you all know the correlation between the Cape and draft.
I see right now on the Cape rosters , Colin Hall, Luke Bartnicki, and Luke Waddel.
And Hurter but he is obviously not going.
That's a far cry from how many Yellow Jackets where at the Cape last summer.
I wonder why?

Well, there are many other summer baseball leagues in addition to the Cape Cod League. I would certainly like to know if Nick and Austin Wilhite plan to play in one of those summer leagues, and Baron Radcliff, Michael Guldberg and Jackson Webb, too.

Other GT position players who are on the current roster—who were not starters during this past season—may also play in a summer league somewhere. These players include Charlie Benson, Cameron Turley, Cole Neuber, Jamie Taylor, and perhaps a few others who were true freshmen this year.

It will also be interesting to see how many of GT’s returning pitchers opt to try any of the summer leagues this summer. These include Cort Roedig, Walker Barlow, and Will Shirah, et al.

The following link provides a list of the summer leagues (in addition to Cape Cod) that are available to college baseball players:

http://baseballnews.com/summer-collegiate-leagues/

Hopefully, the Ramblin Wreck website will publish a list of the current GT players who will be participating in this year’s summer leagues, and if so, which ones and where.

Last edited:

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
What is the deal with summer baseball leagues and the athlete's amateur status? Are they paid? If not, do they just get per diems?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
What is the deal with summer baseball leagues and the athlete's amateur status? Are they paid? If not, do they just get per diems?

Host families as noted above and some will cook for you, no stipends. You pay your way there and home and many leagues require you to pay $250 to play. The Cape was $250, the Sunbelt around here is $500 I think and some others are about the same as the Cape. The players can usually eat for free at the ballparks and they always provide an evening meal if you are playing. Unfortunately, not much healthy food at the park. You can end up spending some dollars for summer baseball as some leagues will run end of May till early August. The leagues usually have a relationship with a local gym and a couple of chiropractors/doctors that help out. The schools cannot give you any money to play or off-set your expenses.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Next year’s returning position players —Waddell, the Wilhite twins, Guldberg, Colin Hall, Radcliff, and possibly Webb—are likely to play summer league ball somewhere.

Other returning GT position players that might participate in the summer leagues include Charlie Benson, Cole Neuber, Cameron Turley, and Jamie Taylor.

Right now it is unknown whether any of them would be at the Cape Cod League, specifically. Some might go there, while others could go to any of the other summer leagues.

I suspect an announcement of the summer league participants will be made sometime next week. So we’ll just have to wait and see.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me....I am surprised that a lot of our starters aren't on that list....the Austin boys, Barron Radcliffe, to name a couple right off the top...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm surprised Radcliffe and Roedig aren't on there, but usually juniors who will be seniors decide not to play in summer leagues.

The Jrs to be Srs explains Hughes not on any roster.

Hughes will be very important for us to have a good year next year. Of all returning pitchers, he had the most IP (53.0) and appearances (26). In 26 starts, 11 gave up 0 ERs. BUt he got blown up in 2 gaes for 6 and 4 ERs......... https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2019/plyr_8.htm I'm still surprised he didn't get drafted.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Why is Radcliffe not playing Summer ball?

My guess is Radcliffe is going to the Cape.
It’s interesting Jackson Webb being a red shirt Senior is playing summer ball.
My main concern now is our pitchers.
We need them to get more experience this summer being so young. I hope Chapmen, Roedig and Barlow are out there on a summer team. Perhaps Roedig went back home to play on a Florida league. Regardless, pitching needs to step up to replace Curry, Thomas, Hurter, and English. Such a huge loss
But I’m so excited for those drafted and their MLB adventures.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I forgot to add Amos Willingham to the list above for losing pitchers. What a great addition he was from JUCO.
My husband always say pitching beats hitting in overall game wins...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I forgot to add Amos Willingham to the list above for losing pitchers. What a great addition he was from JUCO.
My husband always say pitching beats hitting in overall game wins...

Not lost to the draft, but lost next year is Hurter and possibly Mannelly. Lost to graduation, Lee, Gibson, Winborne and Carpenter.

Next year is a pitching rebuilding year, like three years ago when X was a Fr. The good news is two years from now we'll be loaded again with pitchers.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Next year is going to be rough. Expectations will (should) be a lot lower. Hopefully the freshmen will step to the forefront. A lot of Freshmen came through for various teams in the regionals and supers.
I think this postseason should remind us, just get into a regional and who knows what can happen.
-Duke has injuries to their top 2 pitchers, has nobody on any of the All Acc teams, and comes within 1 game of the CWS.
-FSU and Michigan wind up there after being 2 of the last 4 in with Michigan taking down the top team all year long.
-And of course Auburn. Loses the top pick in the draft, goes farther this year. Their only really good pitching performances all postseason long were by 2 guys with ERAs around 7. And still makes it because their final opponent totally chokes and falls on their face before anyone has barely turned on the game.

Point is, try to weather early season difficulties, just get in the field, and who knows what happens.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I looked up some of the stats last night and there have been some impressive performances so far. Brace had a start for the Brookhaven Bucs and went 8 IP, 0 R, 3 H, 1 BB, and 9 K. Bartnicki has a win and a save out of the bullpen in 2 appearances with 5 K.

A team to really keep up with is the Bucs. They have Brace and 3 incoming freshmen (Coquillard, Compton, and Jenkins). Compton and Jenkins have solid stats in 3 games and Coquillard has yet to pitch, but he profiles as a starter at 6-8.