Suddes

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Tech has a general manager, like 90% of programs, and is in charge of recruiting. "Techs 2022 recruiting class sucks" the GM in charge leaves to become assistant AD at a flagship state university "The program is done!"

Tech pays its assistants peanuts so a few leave for bigger programs and higher pay "The program is done!"

Players from a 3-9 team leave for CFP level teams "The program is done!"

Need new material guys. Its getting dull to read.
Needs new coach, games are getting dull to watch.

Seriously, it's ok to admit you were wrong about this staff.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Suddes’s thinking may be that CGC is likely gone after next season, and if the opportunity is there elsewhere, he might as well make the jump now.
This is it. Suddes is a smart logical guy. That is why he has held the position he has and he’s done a great job. He roster managed himself and realized a job offer from a more stable coach was the way to go. He has no loyalties to GT like Choice/Key have so he made a smart calculated move. I’m afraid now we’ll end up with 42 DB’s.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has a general manager, like 90% of programs, and is in charge of recruiting. "Techs 2022 recruiting class sucks" the GM in charge leaves to become assistant AD at a flagship state university "The program is done!"

Tech pays its assistants peanuts so a few leave for bigger programs and higher pay "The program is done!"

This whole thing is tiresome for everyone on here. No one, the pro or anti CGC crowd likes what our football program has turned into. How do you expect all of us to react to this offseason?
-Program is in the whole financially due to previous poor investment/contracts
-CGC fires some sacrificial lambs to try to placate the fans but keeps Thacker
-Our best player since Megatron leaves the program because "he wants to win"
-two tech alumni staff members jump ship
-CGC's hand-picked GM leaves for greener pastures despite their relationship going back to 07
-We are breaking in a new offense next year that likely showcases tight ends which ours are unproven
-our DC essentially remains unchanged. CGC's in-game coaching has already seemed non-sensical in regards to clock management. How will he handle calling defensive plays (if he is even the one doing it)
- Our recruiting class ranking is not great this year. I totally understand that this is due to class size and that our average ranking per player has improved, but it is super easy to turn that into a negative headline
- I have sever doubts about our staff's ability to put our talent in the best position to succeed. I think tariq carpenter is one off the better players we have had on defense. NFL coaches are scouting him at linebacker!!! We have had poor LB play during the past 5 years and Carpenter was not exactly a pass defense beast at safety. Why wasnt he playing LB?!?!?

Tech did what a lot of us hoped by getting a coach like CGC - young, recruiter, previously tech-affiliated, a promoter. But he has turned into Butch Jones with vacuum-sealed skinny jeans that drinks kombucha out of a waffle house cup! This has been a disaster and our AD stuck by him for some terrible reason. Maybe CGC has pics of Stansbury going to a Krispy Kreme instead of Tim Horton's......

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
“Far greater” is a definite exaggeration. UNC has been just as, if not more mediocre than GT has since the 90s. I think “a little better” in most aspects is a fair review of both programs. UNC has a larger fanbase and more resources, but honestly not by much. Their football fans are just as fickle and fair weather as Tech’s are. Mack Brown signed an extension through 2027, but he almost assuredly won’t see the end of that period. That would give him 4 years at the end of the 2023 season, which is coincidently the “magic number” needed for recruiting. I’d be willing to bet he calls it quits after that 2023 season, and maybe inks a 2024 recruiting class.

Calling UNC’s current football situation “far greater” than Tech’s is like saying Tennessee’s is “far greater” than South Carolina. They’re all on relatively equal footing.
UNC is the flagship college athletic program in NC, and their fan base easily exceeds ours. Their financial situation is also considerably stronger. They have an excellent academic reputation and offer a university curriculum. Which makes for an attractive place to build a football program. They have challenges, but not as difficult as those facing us. When Mack Brown leaves, UNC will not want for good candidates interested in taking his place.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Notice they were loyal enough to get wait so we finished our recruiting.

These guys were looking for a job when we hired them and did nothing to prevent us from welcoming them back.

But since we are paupers they wont be back unless they are fired.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC is the flagship college athletic program in NC, and their fan base easily exceeds ours. Their financial situation is also considerably stronger. They have an excellent academic reputation and offer a university curriculum. Which makes for an attractive place to build a football program. They have challenges, but not as difficult as those facing us. When Mack Brown leaves, UNC will not want for good candidates interested in taking his place.
Yes the UNC academic curriculum for their athletes is definitely one to be envied. Hand out degrees and avoid decreditation is something to strive for.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You’re talking about the university as whole. I’m talking specifically about football, and if you read my post I conceded that UNC football is probably in a little bit better of a situation that Georgia Tech is, but nowhere near as much of a gap as what some of you are insinuating. UNC may be the flagship in North Carolina but NC State easily exceeds them in football fans and support. Basketball will always come first at UNC for both their administration and fans. They draw about the same number of fans as Tech does in an average year. The fact that they hired Mack Brown who had been out of coaching for nearly a decade shows you all you need to know about where they see their football program. They’ll likely have 2 QBs drafted in the first round since 2017 and have nothing to show for it. If they were in such a better situation than Tech why isn’t it showing up on the field, or in the W-L column?

Like I said, it’s like comparing South Carolina to Tennessee and saying one is far better than the other. They’re in extremely similar positions. Even looking at the coaching situation going forward Mack has 2, maybe 3 more seasons left at most. Collins is looking at 1, maybe 2 or more depending on how things play out.

If Suddes gets a title bump and a big raise then I get it. But if it’s for the same position and anything less than $100k with as far back as he and CGC go, then it’s concerning he would go and take such a minor step up.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I genuinely can’t comprend the fact that there are people here who still believe everything is going correctly and the negatives have all just been general growing pains. I’m not saying you have to want to fire everyone, but the fact that there are still people who don’t think there have been any red flags is…baffling.
I don't think that things are going well at all. Which is why all the turnover doesn't bother me. What we had was not working. I liked Suddes, just like I liked Choice and Coleman and some others. Whether they were the best coaches on the staff or not, we weren't winning games with them here so let's try something new and hope it works.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I genuinely can’t comprend the fact that there are people here who still believe everything is going correctly and the negatives have all just been general growing pains. I’m not saying you have to want to fire everyone, but the fact that there are still people who don’t think there have been any red flags is…baffling.

Maybe some of us don't think things are going well, but we also don't see the need to constantly bash our recruits, transfer recruits, and coaching staff. For much of the stuff, none of you have seen them coach one single second at GT. Nor have you seen the new players (HS or transfer) play one single second at GT.

Yet, every-single-thing is yet another reason to bash all of it, including the AD.

The facts are that CGC will be the head coach, Long will be OC, and Thacker will be DC (we all hope in title only), and the others will be doing their thing. That is the crew that GT is going to battle with next season.

The non stop bashing is what gets old.

This whole forum has become useless because of it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But we're in a transition...from respectable to horrible.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yall are incorrect in thinking that just because I don't take a steamy, colon cleansing dump on our program that I am happy with the direction that we are going. Im not. It sucks more than a $5 street walker that we have only 9 wins in 3 years with the current head coach, while uga has gotten to where they are nationally. BUT, it's FEBRUARY. The season is 7 months, 2 training camps and a free agent signing period (post spring practice transfer portal) away. Im not gonna get my underwear in a wad up my butt over something I don't have control over.

Yes, we as an athletic program are in serious debt. So I donate what I can and try to add to that total each year. I buy 3 season tix for football and attend several basketball & baseball games each year. I eat in the stadium/arena. What are you individually doing to HELP our athletic program, aside from your oh so clever snide remarks on some message board?

If, with this coaching staff or the next, we win and win consistently, folks on here will complain when the stands are full again and the prices for tix go up.

Just listen to the Zen Master. Go Tech!!!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe some of us don't think things are going well, but we also don't see the need to constantly bash our recruits, transfer recruits, and coaching staff. For much of the stuff, none of you have seen them coach one single second at GT. Nor have you seen the new players (HS or transfer) play one single second at GT.

Yet, every-single-thing is yet another reason to bash all of it, including the AD.

The facts are that CGC will be the head coach, Long will be OC, and Thacker will be DC (we all hope in title only), and the others will be doing their thing. That is the crew that GT is going to battle with next season.

The non stop bashing is what gets old.

This whole forum has become useless because of it.
I think I will buy you a beer in the Benz while we are beating Clempson.