Suddes

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
1643926657045.png

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This is the first staff turnover that’s really concerning to me. The others were taking pretty large strides in their careers, but with how close Suddes and Collins seemingly were, this one seems like a head scratcher. If he would’ve went somewhere like Clemson, Miami, or FSU in the ACC, or a big SEC or B1G program I could see it. But UNC as a division rival who really isn’t all that much different of a position than Tech is? That feels strange. I’m sure there’s a pay bump involved, but how significant could it be? I think at least from the outside Suddes has been pretty significant in our recruiting efforts. We couldn’t match what UNC is going to pay him? Or are things on the inside much worse than what the seem? Do we even have anybody left on our recruiting staff that was here for the 2020 class?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is the first staff turnover that’s really concerning to me. The others were taking pretty large strides in their careers, but with how close Suddes and Collins seemingly were, this one seems like a head scratcher. If he would’ve went somewhere like Clemson, Miami, or FSU in the ACC, or a big SEC or B1G program I could see it. But UNC as a division rival who really isn’t all that much different of a position than Tech is? That feels strange. I’m sure there’s a pay bump involved, but how significant could it be? I think at least from the outside Suddes has been pretty significant in our recruiting efforts. We couldn’t match what UNC is going to pay him? Or are things on the inside much worse than what the seem? Do we even have anybody left on our recruiting staff that was here for the 2020 class?
UNC football program is in a far greater place than GT football in every aspect. Probably about the same level in underperforming. No sugar coating this loss of a staff member. Not good at all.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
UNC football program is in a far greater place than GT football in every aspect. Probably about the same level in underperforming. No sugar coating this loss of a staff member. Not good at all.
“Far greater” is a definite exaggeration. UNC has been just as, if not more mediocre than GT has since the 90s. I think “a little better” in most aspects is a fair review of both programs. UNC has a larger fanbase and more resources, but honestly not by much. Their football fans are just as fickle and fair weather as Tech’s are. Mack Brown signed an extension through 2027, but he almost assuredly won’t see the end of that period. That would give him 4 years at the end of the 2023 season, which is coincidently the “magic number” needed for recruiting. I’d be willing to bet he calls it quits after that 2023 season, and maybe inks a 2024 recruiting class.

Calling UNC’s current football situation “far greater” than Tech’s is like saying Tennessee’s is “far greater” than South Carolina. They’re all on relatively equal footing.