Stuffing the Inside Plays...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the most painful things to watch over the years was when we'd tear up things until the bowl game, then get stoned inside (i.e., Iowa, LSU)...

I am excited about our offensive line, but do you think they'll be good enough to avoid the inexplicable letdowns we've seen on occasion over the years?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One of the most painful things to watch over the years was when we'd tear up things until the bowl game, then get stoned inside (i.e., Iowa, LSU)...

I am excited about our offensive line, but do you think they'll be good enough to avoid the inexplicable letdowns we've seen on occasion over the years?
It's not exactly a "let down" when you're physically overmatched. That's what happened vs Iowa and LSU.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

No offense to the lines of that era but there simply is not any comparison to what we have today. They are bigger, faster, and stronger across the front. Remember, we started converted tight ends, undersized tackles etc. It is a tribute to those players' work ethic, determination, and drive that we did as well as we did. We also benefited from defenses not being familiar with our scheme and overconfidence on the part of some opponents: You may recall "high school offense", won't work on this level" etc. Coach Johnson specifically addressed this issue noting that no amount of clever scheming can overcome a decided physical superiority. Shoot, one year I thought Luther Maddy and that dude from Pitt whose name escapes me, might as well have been huddling with our team rather than wasting time on their side of the line of scrimmage, they were in our backfield that fast. Of course, we don't have Uzzi or that guard from two years ago who started on the Patriots but I think this line will be the best of the Johnson era when it is all said and done.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
No offense to the lines of that era but there simply is not any comparison to what we have today. They are bigger, faster, and stronger across the front. Remember, we started converted tight ends, undersized tackles etc. It is a tribute to those players' work ethic, determination, and drive that we did as well as we did. We also benefited from defenses not being familiar with our scheme and overconfidence on the part of some opponents: You may recall "high school offense", won't work on this level" etc. Coach Johnson specifically addressed this issue noting that no amount of clever scheming can overcome a decided physical superiority. Shoot, one year I thought Luther Maddy and that dude from Pitt whose name escapes me, might as well have been huddling with our team rather than wasting time on their side of the line of scrimmage, they were in our backfield that fast.

Aaron Donald ;)

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It will be very important to stuff or at least slow down the inside running game during the game with Tennessee. Butch Jones will be trying to hammer GT's defensive line running it up the middle with John Kelly and Carlin Fils-Aime.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It will be very important to stuff or at least slow down the inside running game during the game with Tennessee. Butch Jones will be trying to hammer GT's defensive line running it up the middle with John Kelly and Carlin Fils-Aime.
If I was Tennessee, I would run right at Tech. It has been a formula for Georgia for years. Why they got away from it in the fourth quarter last year is a mystery.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
If I was Tennessee, I would run right at Tech. It has been a formula for Georgia for years. Why they got away from it in the fourth quarter last year is a mystery.
The thing that will help GT is that Tennessee and Butch Jones always seem to fall into a funk most of their games where they can't get out of their own way. GT has to take advantage of that like Vanderbilt did at the end of the 2016 regular season.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
No offense to the lines of that era but there simply is not any comparison to what we have today. They are bigger, faster, and stronger across the front. Remember, we started converted tight ends, undersized tackles etc. It is a tribute to those players' work ethic, determination, and drive that we did as well as we did. We also benefited from defenses not being familiar with our scheme and overconfidence on the part of some opponents: You may recall "high school offense", won't work on this level" etc. Coach Johnson specifically addressed this issue noting that no amount of clever scheming can overcome a decided physical superiority. Shoot, one year I thought Luther Maddy and that dude from Pitt whose name escapes me, might as well have been huddling with our team rather than wasting time on their side of the line of scrimmage, they were in our backfield that fast. Of course, we don't have Uzzi or that guard from two years ago who started on the Patriots but I think this line will be the best of the Johnson era when it is all said and done.

Of course, I meant Shaq Mason. (Senior moment again!) Those two will be the template for what a bull dozing guard should look like in this offense for years to come. They were that good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Of course, I meant Shaq Mason. (Senior moment again!) Those two will be the template for what a bull dozing guard should look like in this offense for years to come. They were that good.
Shaq is the quintessential RG in our offense. Quick as a cat with great leverage. All our guards need to watch film of Shaq and try to emulate him in every way.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ibeeballin did a quick analysis on that. Long story short, we started stuffing those runs.
Likely as not we did it by bringing one or both of the safeties up in run support. Both of them are pretty good at tackling. Lawrence or is it Lance? Can't ever seem to keep them straight. The one that plays nickle is a good tackler also.