Studying the last 12 teams to play for a national title

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
6_2944877.jpg

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com...2-teams-to-play-for-a-national-title-29323773

The above chart and link show some key stats from the last 12 teams to play for a national title.

I thought it might be fun to compare to Georgia Tech in those categories:

Year........Yards/rush......3rd down%.......RZ TD%........TO/game......TO margin
2013...........5.46................51.4...................81.6................1.85.................-4
2012...........5.39................45.6...................66.1................1.50................+4
2011...........5.74................53.9...................72.7................1.46................+2
2010..........5.58................40.4...................57.4...............2.08.................-6
2009..........5.22.................52.3..................64.5................1.29.................+8
2008.........5.55.................36.7...................46.2................2.08................+2

stats from http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/index.html

Looks like we need to hold on to the ball and force some turnovers to have a great season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IMO defense wins championships so without much defensive statistics, this chart doesn’t do much for ME.

I agree that you have to look at both offense and defense, but the OP was just offering the table from another site for comparison.

Imo, turnovers and self-inflicted wounds like false-start penalties and missed receivers have been our biggest problems on offense. However, our D has been less than average.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last 6 years, FEI Def:
2013: FSU 5, Aub 10
2012: Ala 4, ND 16
2011: Ala 1, LSU 2
2010: Aub 8, Ore 4
2009: Ala 1, Tx 9
2008: FL 1, OK 19

Last 6 years, FEI Off:
2013: FSU 12, Aub 7
2012: Ala 5, ND 12
2011: Ala 11, LSU 17
2010: Aub 1, Ore 15
2009: Ala 5, Tx 14
2008: FL 3, OK 1

Obviously being good in both offense and defense is preferable but only Aub 2010 won the MNC with less than a top 5 D and with the worst D in the MNCG.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i think for the offensive picture some measure of the passing game should be in this; whatever a relevant stat is. yards per attempt? or yards per game or something?

Total offense is probably good to have in there too. Then its a more complete offensive picture

One thing have to be careful about TO Margin, that is as much to do with D as O. However TO a game is good....

All 12 of those teams had the capacity to run a 2-minute offense in the year that they made it to the Title game, going into year-7 GT FB does not have that capability.
Given this new playoff system we are not likely to make a serious run at the CFB playoff with our offense as currently configured.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Last 6 years, FEI Def:
2013: FSU 5, Aub 10
2012: Ala 4, ND 16
2011: Ala 1, LSU 2
2010: Aub 8, Ore 4
2009: Ala 1, Tx 9
2008: FL 1, OK 19

Last 6 years, FEI Off:
2013: FSU 12, Aub 7
2012: Ala 5, ND 12
2011: Ala 11, LSU 17
2010: Aub 1, Ore 15
2009: Ala 5, Tx 14
2008: FL 3, OK 1

Obviously being good in both offense and defense is preferable but only Aub 2010 won the MNC with less than a top 5 D and with the worst D in the MNCG.

my bad... read yours wrong. disregard

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All 12 of those teams had the capacity to run a 2-minute offense in the year that they made it to the Title game, going into year-7 GT FB does not have that capability.
Given this new playoff system we are not likely to make a serious run at the CFB playoff with our offense as currently configured.
Our ability to run a 2-minute offense (although I disagree with your conclusion) is irrelevant. If we don't put ourselves in a position where we have to go 80 yards in 90 seconds to win, it's a non-issue. Also, any time the ball is in JT's hands, we're potentially in a 10.6 second offense.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Our ability to run a 2-minute offense (although I disagree with your conclusion) is irrelevant. If we don't put ourselves in a position where we have to go 80 yards in 90 seconds to win, it's a non-issue. Also, any time the ball is in JT's hands, we're potentially in a 10.6 second offense.

not entirely accurate.

There were some teams that won NC's that had to win big games running the 2 min O. one of the Bama vs LSU regular season games sticks out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I seem to remember that we could move the ball pretty quickly when we had to. It wasn't very successful most times, but we could do it if the efficiency was there. No, we don't have a 2-minute drill, that comment was a little tongue-in-cheek.

Bottom line is this offense, the way it has been run, isn't really designed to move the ball long distances in short time periods. Typically that involves a high percentage of passing downs, which is counter to what we do. Could we insert a package for this specific purpose?, I think we did in the Spring.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our 2 minute offense has been fine moving the ball down the field in short amounts of time. IMO where it has failed is scoring once we get inside the 30 yard line in those situations.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a pretty interesting study. Obviously the data isn't comprehensive enough to draw firm conclusions, as several critical categories for football success are missing. However, it is nice to know that we are competitive with typical natty teams in terms of 3rd down, RZ efficiency, and ave per rush. It is a place to start. Obviously, we need to turn it over less and, perhaps more importantly, create more TOs on defense. It seems that TO margin is a critical factor in ANY teams drive for a championship. None of of the finalists had to overcome a negative TO record on their way.

The two minute drill discussion is interesting, but if I had to choose between a dynamic two minute offense and a plus 15 TO margin at season's end, I would go with the latter and it wouldn't be close.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Our 2 minute offense has been fine moving the ball down the field in short amounts of time. IMO where it has failed is scoring once we get inside the 30 yard line in those situations.
This is what I was saying. Because we haven't been able to punch it in, we haven't been very successful. Historically, we either stalled or threw a pick. Very seldom have we run out of time.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the point is every team on this list had to rely on a 2 min drive once during the year to win. Period. And they did it.

But did they do it cuz they were just the best team in the land as winning it all proved or cuz of scheme?

Perhaps the fact we have sucked at 2 min regardless of scheme is simply cuz we just suck. As evidence by 7-5 seasons. Let me tell you. The 5 is far more than lack of 2 min execution.

Get the 5 fixed. Then we can worry about the one where we may need 2 min execution. Right now its about fixing TOs, defense, and coaching a bit more for field position to help the d. Then after that we can do things to maximize the o.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

If we aren't scoring with it (2-min. off.), then it is not fine.

I realize my post was lengthy....your reply makes me wonder if you took the time to read the WHOLE thing.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the point is every team on this list had to rely on a 2 min drive once during the year to win. Period. And they did it.

But did they do it cuz they were just the best team in the land as winning it all proved or cuz of scheme?

Perhaps the fact we have sucked at 2 min regardless of scheme is simply cuz we just suck. As evidence by 7-5 seasons. Let me tell you. The 5 is far more than lack of 2 min execution.

Get the 5 fixed. Then we can worry about the one where we may need 2 min execution. Right now its about fixing TOs, defense, and coaching a bit more for field position to help the d. Then after that we can do things to maximize the o.

this made me literally LOL.