Student Season Tickets / Student Attendance

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I know we have some students on the board along with some strong opinions. What ideas do you have to increase student attendance? This is a start...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No wonder. Don't know that I would have come up with $50 over my fees to go to the games. I was flat broke as a student. I barely had enough money for gas to and from campus. They should go back to the way it was: show up with a Student ID and get in.

I don't care if the kids coming in are GT students or not, if someone has an ID and wants to get in the game, more power to him/her.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
No wonder. Don't know that I would have come up with $50 over my fees to go to the games. I was flat broke as a student. I barely had enough money for gas to and from campus. They should go back to the way it was: show up with a Student ID and get in.

I don't care if the kids coming in are GT students or not, if someone has an ID and wants to get in the game, more power to him/her.
Thats how I got in when my buddy was enrolled at Tech. They have tightened down since then though.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thats how I got in when my buddy was enrolled at Tech. They have tightened down since then though.
Exactly. And attendance seems to have dropped. I wonder if there's a coincidence? :whistle:

LOL, just kidding. But one thing I wish they would do. Replace the club seating and put the students back behind the visitor's bench. Currently, they get the quietest group of fans in the stadium right behind their bench. Back in 1984, we were right behind the opposing team and it was fun to see how many players you could piss off by taunting them as they came to the sidelines. IMO, this makes Bobby Dodd a much more genteel place to play these days.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow

I brought some friends to the UGA game last year who don't go to tech, so I gathered up some buzzcards for them to use. The people at the gate turned them down bc it wasn't there card which is rediculous. Was not happy to say the least.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I brought some friends to the UGA game last year who don't go to tech, so I gathered up some buzzcards for them to use. The people at the gate turned them down bc it wasn't there card which is rediculous. Was not happy to say the least.
Yeap. I say that if someone wants to get in the game and they have a ticket... Let em in. We need the seats as full as possible. Also some students could care less about sports and could use the extra $20 orr so buxx for their ticket that is gonna go to waste if not given away or sold.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Fyi, if you are a student you can get free tickets, you just have to pick them up every week and it's only if they have leftovers. Which they always do. And the only way they will get more students to come to the games is if the team starts winning.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
They should have a contest where students that attend has their name entered into a drawing and then have a drawing where the prize is a free semester of school.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest problem IMO (which I've mentioned before) is that there is no way to transfer a reserved season ticket to another student. If I can't go, that's an empty seat. I'm not sure how you solve that without introducing other problems, though.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to the dwags auburn game last Fall with an Asian girl's ID. I paid her $40 and sat in student section with my friends. They don't care at all. There were 40 year olds in the student section. Tech has stupid rules and they wonder why student attendance/student support isn't high. Alot of college students are huge band wagon fans.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeap. .... Also some students could care less about sports and could use the extra $20 orr so buxx for their ticket that is gonna go to waste if not given away or sold.
I'm glad to hear that"some students" aren't apathetic. So, you're saying these students may become interested?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Good grief. The GTAA needs to understand that the student section needs to be full - as in FULL - of rowdy students hungry for victory. Block off a section for student attendance and fill it up - do not charge students for tickets - do not bring in the freakin TSA to run a background check at the gate - if they flash an ID then let 'em in - even if its a pasty white dork showing an ID with a dorky Asian girl on it - who cares - the point is to fill the student section every game and a little looking the other way with contraband would do a lot to get the students in the correct frame of mind at kickoff. And, like the prev poster said - put some students behind the visitor bench to liven things up a bit.

This is Football not the damned Opera.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good grief. The GTAA needs to understand that the student section needs to be full - as in FULL - of rowdy students hungry for victory. Block off a section for student attendance and fill it up - do not charge students for tickets - do not bring in the freakin TSA to run a background check at the gate - if they flash an ID then let 'em in - even if its a pasty white dork showing an ID with a dorky Asian girl on it - who cares - the point is to fill the student section every game and a little looking the other way with contraband would do a lot to get the students in the correct frame of mind at kickoff. And, like the prev poster said - put some students behind the visitor bench to liven things up a bit.

This is Football not the damned Opera.
Yeah, sitting on those old wooden bench seats was SO much fun. (she says sarcastically). I will agree, though, that GTAA needs to loosen up admit policies & come up with other freebies (contests, giveaways, etc) to ramp-up student enthusiasm.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
We currently have a system that guarantees empty seats because people will inevitably have other obligations and aren't able to easily transfer. EFF the wristbands. Go back to tickets, if they flash a buzz card with a student ticket, let em in. Want the fraternities to show up on time? Lower security at the north gates and have games later than noon.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Want the fraternities to show up on time? Lower security at the north gates and have games later than noon.

The security is not bad at all if you show up more than 15 minutes before kickoff.

I did find it comical how lax security was by comparison when I presented paid tickets at non-student gates between my undergrad and grad years.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The security is not bad at all if you show up more than 15 minutes before kickoff.

I did find it comical how lax security was by comparison when I presented paid tickets at non-student gates between my undergrad and grad years.

Oh, I severely disagree with you on this. Prior to the Virginia Tech game last year, we walked past students trying to enter through the north end zone gates and they were being patted down. They removed flasks from 2 of them they found.

Let em in the game. If they cause a problem, kick em out of the game. That's how it used to be and we didn't have near the problems filling up the student seats as we do now. Heck, in 1984 our fraternity would go pick up a block of xx seats and bring them back to the house and pass them around. We had little sisters from Agnes Scott and Bauder (sp?) who came to every game and it was no trouble to get them in. You just showed an ID card to get in the game but you could also pay something like $15 or $25 extra and get a "date pass" that allowed you to bring in an additional person per home game. They simply put a different mark on your student ID at the time.