Student Lunch with CPJ - MYAJC Link

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Can someone post the interesting parts? My subscription to AJC is over with & I can't read it.
Thanks.:)

"When Brian Kuo arrived at Georgia Tech as a freshman in August 2011, he said he had “zero interest” in football. Now, seven years later, Kuo will leave Tech with undergraduate and master’s degrees from the school’s college of electrical and computer engineering. And, thanks to seven years of playing trumpet in the Tech marching band, he will make his departure as a fan of the Yellow Jackets football team.

That being the case, he wanted to meet and thank the man who helped kindle that interest, coach Paul Johnson. He got the opportunity this past Monday, when Johnson shared lunch with Kuo and four of his friends (three in the band, one in Reck Club) at the cafeteria in the Edge Center."

"The students shared a table with Johnson for about 45 minutes on Monday, Kuo said, peppering him with questions about his job, life and family. They learned about, among other things, his friendship with Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and the challenges of leading and motivating a team of 85 scholarship players.

In turn, Kuo said that Johnson thanked them for their support of the team and recognized how the band plays a critical role in revving up the fans, who in turn charge the team."

"Kuo said he found Johnson to be down to earth and personable, not the stoic person that he has seen in news conferences.

“Those kids were huge fans and they love football and they could ask about certain plays during the season and what was going on, so it was fun,” Johnson said. “I enjoyed it.”"

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Can someone post the interesting parts? My subscription to AJC is over with & I can't read it.
Thanks.:)

BTW, not exactly sure how I scored such a deal, but I did the $.99 for 3 months digital only deal a couple of years ago and cancelled when the three months ended. AJC called me a couple of months later and offered me what I thought was a year for and additional $.99 so I agreed. I went to cancel it last January and found out I had agreed to 8 years for $0.99 so I told them to keep it coming. :)

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
BTW, not exactly sure how I scored such a deal, but I did the $.99 for 3 months digital only deal a couple of years ago and cancelled when the three months ended. AJC called me a couple of months later and offered me what I thought was a year for and additional $.99 so I agreed. I went to cancel it last January and found out I had agreed to 8 years for $0.99 so I told them to keep it coming. :)
Lucky you! They now want to charge $10.99/mo.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"When Brian Kuo arrived at Georgia Tech as a freshman in August 2011, he said he had “zero interest” in football. Now, seven years later, Kuo will leave Tech with undergraduate and master’s degrees from the school’s college of electrical and computer engineering. And, thanks to seven years of playing trumpet in the Tech marching band, he will make his departure as a fan of the Yellow Jackets football team.

That being the case, he wanted to meet and thank the man who helped kindle that interest, coach Paul Johnson. He got the opportunity this past Monday, when Johnson shared lunch with Kuo and four of his friends (three in the band, one in Reck Club) at the cafeteria in the Edge Center."

"The students shared a table with Johnson for about 45 minutes on Monday, Kuo said, peppering him with questions about his job, life and family. They learned about, among other things, his friendship with Clemson coach Dabo Swinney and the challenges of leading and motivating a team of 85 scholarship players.

In turn, Kuo said that Johnson thanked them for their support of the team and recognized how the band plays a critical role in revving up the fans, who in turn charge the team."

"Kuo said he found Johnson to be down to earth and personable, not the stoic person that he has seen in news conferences.

“Those kids were huge fans and they love football and they could ask about certain plays during the season and what was going on, so it was fun,” Johnson said. “I enjoyed it.”"
The part I actually liked best was his take on the ban on cut blocks beyond five yards of the LOS: "If blocking below the waste is dangerous, ban tackling below the waist." To quote another Johnson, the mayor of Rock Ridge, who could argue with that?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Was anything forthcoming about his relationship with Swinney? I have heard it both ways -- friendly, not so -- and would be curious, given the nature of the rivalry.

Nothing mentioned about it in this article. I've heard it both ways as well, but the sources I trust most indicate he's actually got a pretty good relationship with Dabo.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you know someone who subscribes they can share their digital access with up to 4 others. You could just buy them lunch or throw them a few $$ for the favor.

Yes. I share mine with other people, including one old geezer on this board... :ROFLMAO:

BTW, I just did the math. at $0.99 for 8 years, I am paying a penny a month for me and a few other people to get MyAJC access. That's about what the AJC is worth...