Student engagement

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Was just thinking about the B1G/ACC challenge game against Wisconsin this past season. Aside from winning, what can be done to engage students more? What got students out to this game in droves in particular? I remember sitting in McCamish and students were overflowing the corners behind the west basket 15 minutes before tip and it made a huge difference in the energy. I think this is the key to getting the Texas Tech/Auburn transformation and insane environments that top recruits want to play in front of. Video for those curious of the noise/energy we had:

ChiTownGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I was a GT student for the last 4 years. If i remember correctly, one of the student giveaways was a replica ACC Championship banner which drove a lot of students in. Also I think the excitement of us being 5-1 at the time and playing a ranked team helped too. The day the game happens make a huge impact too.... Thursday nights may be a lot more convenient for students than a Monday night

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
This game was on a Wednesday at 9 PM. I’m sure the Greek life students were looking forward to this as it would start after chapter ended. A lot of games over the years have been played at wednesdays at 7 when chapter starts

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s not complicated. You have to make students want to come to the game and make the game easy to attend.

On the first, you either invest in a good product (good GT team playing a good opponent in what should be a fun game) or gimmicks (give always, free food, Drake perform at half time, etc)

On the second, you have games while students are on campus at times they want to attend.

Then you advertise these things to the students in a way that makes them feel welcomed.