Strength at WR

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Someone in another thread mentioned WR as a position of concern, even liability, this season. I couldn't disagree more. Waller is Waller, and he may or may not be a world beater, but he is the most physically imposing WR we have had since 21. Smelter will be an absolute beast this year, and nobody seems to dispute that. Some are not sure about Summers, and though he may not be electric, he is solid at his assignments and is sure-handed (also will never be a grades/conduct concern). Dennis is solid at assignments as well. I don't know anything about Brandon Oliver. Jeune, Messick and Qua seem like budding playmakers. We don't have the "misses" that CPJ had earlier on at the position, or talented guys who seem like they're going to flake out. Oh, and of equal importance, seems like we have willing blockers out there.

Just wanted to point out a position I have high expectations for. I know there are some huge ? marks at other spots, but I don't think this is one.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Waller will play like his hair is on fire, because this is his last chance to audition for the NFL. If he wants to, he could be a top receiver taken in the draft. If not,....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
D. Thomas was more physically imposing than Calvin IMO. Not better, not faster (though great beyond question). He was and is a physical beast.

As for the group this year. I think all have something to prove. This isn't a position of concern for me but I'm not ready to label it stellar either. Could become stellar...but have to show that still IMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
D. Thomas was more physically imposing than Calvin IMO. Not better, not faster (though great beyond question). He was and is a physical beast.

As for the group this year. I think all have something to prove. This isn't a position of concern for me but I'm not ready to label it stellar either. Could become stellar...but have to show that still IMO.
Bay Bay really had to work at catching the ball. He had a lot of drops early in his career. He was one of my favorite players back in '09 and it was mostly due to his graciousness with the fans. He always stuck around to sign autographs. I was there for the huge win we had in Tally, the night that was postponed due to lightning and we had a shootout w/FSU, the night Nesbitt became a legend for stealing the ball back. He was the very last guy off the field signing autographs. I'll always remember that.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I disagree bout Waller. Think he's played soft his time here on the flats, as big as he is.
I agree with this. I think Waller has been anything but physically imposing. Name one single contested ball that he has come down with. He has no idea how to use his body to control a defender and he is an average blocker at best. All he has been is tall. I think he has some potential, but he has been nowhere close to it and he has shown no progress towards it. Sorry I feel this way, but I do. I hope he has a great year and plays tough, but I don't expect it. If you want to talk physical, you have to go with Smelter. By the way, BayBay was/is way more physically imposing than Waller will ever be. Calvin was a great one, but Bay Bay might have been tougher.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. I think Waller has been anything but physically imposing. Name one single contested ball that he has come down with. He has no idea how to use his body to control a defender and he is an average blocker at best. All he has been is tall. I think he has some potential, but he has been nowhere close to it and he has shown no progress towards it. Sorry I feel this way, but I do. I hope he has a great year and plays tough, but I don't expect it. If you want to talk physical, you have to go with Smelter. By the way, BayBay was/is way more physically imposing than Waller will ever be. Calvin was a great one, but Bay Bay might have been tougher.
Bay Bay's stiff arm was a thing of beauty, savage beauty. He also high pointed every pass to perfection while blocking out like Moses Malone going for a rebound. Maybe that was because every deep toss was a jump ball. Regardless, he did it right.

Waller, on the other hand, lets every ball come to him while flat footed. He doesn't even reach up, rather he lets the ball fall to his hands below his shoulders.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm sorry but as good as Thomas was/is he was never as physically imposing as Calvin. Calvin has the most unbelievable body control while in the air I've seen outside of Kobe Bryant. Then add the fact he's the size of a tight end running a 4.30 40.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with these sentiments about Waller. There have been some frustrating moments with him. But as far as potential for a big year, I still see it here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When I look at our WR corp, I see one VERY good player (Smelter), a guy with that CAN be VERY good if he focused on what it means to be a good player on this level and has shown flashes of it (Waller), a very solid receiver but not spectacular at any one thing (Summers), a guy who's prep tape looked very good but hasn't proven anything on this level yet (Jeune), a big question mark who physically fits the mold of a "GT WR" but came from a program that didn't showcase his catching skills (Messick), and an undersized but athletically gifted WR (Searcy).

I feel a lot better about or WR corp than I do about any other position on offense right now but that's only because the other positions have so many unanswered questions.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I have also thought this is a going to be a surprisingly strong position for us this year. I don't remember in recent years having the solid depth as we have this year at WR along with a bonified playmaker in smelter. Surely there are some question marks but there are always those. Having 2 qb's that can get the ball to them doesn't hurt either.

Rammy

Georgia Tech Fan
If you play Fantasy Football, you will notice obviously Megatron top 3, but within the overall Top 10, D. Thomas! That is pretty awesome!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you play Fantasy Football, you will notice obviously Megatron top 3, but within the overall Top 10, D. Thomas! That is pretty awesome!

And Smelter should be up there in NFL Fantasy Football in a few years. Our WR can block and catch; overall I agree that WR is a strength; we have depth for years to come.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
When it comes down to strictly WRs they are #1 and #2 with AJ Green #3 ... So id say the state as a whole has produced the best in NFL this year.