Stoopid's Complaints About Blocking

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There is a video that supposedly shows and circles the "illegal" block that injured Alvonte Bell. However, when I look at the video, I see ONE offensive lineman who engages the D-lineman below the shoulder pads and pancakes him. Can anyone point out anything in the video that I am missing? It seems from the articles that this is a clearly unethical block, but I don't understand what they see.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vb...ads/chorus_asset/file/7729503/chopblock.0.gif

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It's called football. You are taught to block from midget football on. For some reason it has become fashionable to titty bump in modern football. Watch the NFL. You will see blocks like that on every run.

Animal02

Banned
I still think this chop block rule needs modification. There should be no call for high low in side the tackle box and when both are from the front. It also should not be unless the second player purposely engages.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is a video that supposedly shows and circles the "illegal" block that injured Alvonte Bell. However, when I look at the video, I see ONE offensive lineman who engages the D-lineman below the shoulder pads and pancakes him. Can anyone point out anything in the video that I am missing? It seems from the articles that this is a clearly unethical block, but I don't understand what they see.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/vb...ads/chorus_asset/file/7729503/chopblock.0.gif
I would like to see this sorted out. Supposedly it was because of cut blocking, then it was a chop block, and then from Stoops himself it ws because somebody from the Tech bench had the ad manners to address Stoops directly. Whatever it was exposed Stoops as a pretend football coach of an SEC program. I've never seen a coach from Pop Warner to the pros, ever, to behave like that while he was supposed to be coaching his team. I'm surprised his mama did not come down on the field and yank him out.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Stoops is the new Beamer.
Now that makes sense.
Coach Beamer was at the game yesterday.
At the end of the 3rd quarter (this delayed the budweiser song as well till mid 4th)
Beamer was inducted into the Tax Slayer hall of fame for his dedication to the game while with VT....
Hmmm..he must've been talking with Stoopid during the game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The chop block was a bad call imo. The first blocker had already disengaged before the second one engaged. Yes, the defender got hit high and low by two guys, but it wasn't at the same time.

It was a bad call. Even the anouncers were like eh really? The Dt basically fell over a rb while our ol pushed him. Its not a chop block.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Erm guys....take your gold shaded glasses off for a second. That block was unfortunately clearly unethical. It is now unethical for GT teams to physically dominate other teams. GT players are just 2 star nerds and getting physically manhandled by nerds is unethical and causes extreme butthurt in opposing coaches and players.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is something I thought about coming home from church. If a running back goes low on a linebacker in space and he tumbles down, everyone says "great block," but if a lineman goes low, it is somehow dirty football. Why is that?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The chop block was a bad call imo. The first blocker had already disengaged before the second one engaged. Yes, the defender got hit high and low by two guys, but it wasn't at the same time.

I don't see anyone who blocked low. There is another player blocking low further downfield, but he didn't touch Bell, Bell landed beside him. If someone else blocked low, they didn't have enough time to get out of the way before this video started.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ESPN didn't review the first DT that got hurt, but the second one looked like the OL just flat out whupped the DL's butt and threw him to the ground. Pure physical domination.

If I'm that DL, I'd be kinda of mad at Stoops because now you have everyone going back to look at it and all it's going to show is him getting his @ss handed to him.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I don't see anyone who blocked low. There is another player blocking low further downfield, but he didn't touch Bell, Bell landed beside him. If someone else blocked low, they didn't have enough time to get out of the way before this video started.
GT's offensive linemen blew the Kentucky defensive line 5-6 yards off the line of scrimmage all day. They exposed how soft Kentucky really was.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The Cat's fans are just as sore of losers as the coach. I haven't seen it this bad since the very beginning of CPJ's tenure. Going into the game I was impressed by the fans on their board, but it seems not to be genuine humility. The game was chippy, and we definitely reacted to their antics, it was poorly officiated, but that went both ways and wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game anyway. They don't realize that we more than doubled our penalties/penalty yard average in this one. They had some blatant holding and plenty of hits out of bounds that could have been called but wasn't. Old fantasies like GA fans saying we get 1-2 chop block calls / game and injure one of their linemen every year, cut blocks are dirty and should be banned, etc. are flying all over the place.

Pop quiz: can anyone name an opposing DL we've injured with a cut or chop?

Mechanically, cut blocks are probably going to make your knees pretty damn sore the next week, but they are not what causes ligaments to tear.