Steve Hummer is relentless

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
We will almost certainly win a game or two this year no one gives us much of a chance in. As bad as we played Saturday we really aren’t that bad. And the coaches can’t be dumb enough to continue doing some of the dumb things they have done.

Our D is good enough to keep us in most games so long as we execute and don’t make unforced errors.

Can’t be dumb enough?? We’ve done them for 3 games. We really should be 0-3 if not for a gift from the refs on the fumble last week.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Just what sort of perception will H.S. kids have of a program that loses to a FCS school like the Citadel. Just what sort of perception will they have if we finish 1-11 this year and 3-9 next.
H.S. kids will see through the Bullcrap being piled high and look elsewhere.
I actually think he survives the losses no problem, if he looks like he knows what he is doing. The perception of the TO is that it killed GT football. I don’t agree with that, but CGC can lean into that. But he can’t lose games the way we lost to citadel, where it is clear he had no idea what was going on.

LibertyTurns

Banned
"Lights the fire"? That would imply he is on the hot seat
Losing to Citadel, a winless FCS team is certainly not a good thing & I’m not defending him for that. What gets me is the HOW we lost.

A. We’re undisciplined which is not a core GT characteristic. We are a disciplined Institute by our nature. You get a drive extending personal foul called because of a cheap shot & I expect the offender gets benched. You get one right after that. I expect the coaches get the entire team over & read them the riot act. Next guy’s heading to the locker room. You get another one. It’s completely out of control. It doesn’t stop there. Seemingly no intervention or if there was they were just blatantly disrespecting the staff, take your pick. We nearly had 2 more. I’m really not sure how the back judge did not see what should have been #4 or #5. Cheap shot #4 was 3 secs at least after the whistle. It was one of the worst, most unsportsmanlike things I’ve ever seen a GT player do. Good coaches do not tolerate or promote such conduct, win or lose.

B. The dancing. Maybe I’m too old, but dancing is not football. Dancing when you’re losing is poor form. Dancing when you’re losing to an FCS team does not have words for it. The cheerleaders or whatever they are flashing the signs belong along the wall with the other cheerleaders not in the middle of the football team. Exhibitions after you made a good play against an FCS team equally unsavory, particularly when you’re losing. Would not have been acceptable if we were winning, but doing it when you were getting your butt kicked is idiotic.

C. Not understanding basic football rules. There just is no excuse. Read the book, get someone to tutor you on the rules, etc but know the rules.

D. Ride the hot hand, don’t bench him. I get it you want to distance yourself from the old regime. But a hot hand’s a hot hand. Nobody takes out a guy producing & subs in someone struggling that I have ever seen in my lifetime except a Little League coach making sure the pine riders got their minimum innings in.

That’s the HOW that’s going to get the fire lit. It’s not having a bunch of unexpected losses, it’s crap like that. In time lack of positive developments will do you in, but the acutely negative stuff needs immediate attention.

This is my last post on this. I’m waiting for the Temple game before I assess any further. Whatever proclamations get made between now & then will have no meaning until I see with my own eyes the team gets it.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There were that many more near unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and personal fouls? That is disturbing. I trust that you might be exaggerating a bit because if you are not then this team is headed for Randy Shannon/Al Golden country sans the talent the Hurricanes had back then.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Much of this thread has not addressed the most disturbing part of the game, which was we could not stop this team on defense. Even though we played like crap on offense, and this in-out QB platoon thing drives me crazy, it drove me crazier seeing us beat in the defensive trenches by this 0-2 FCS team.

I have watched it twice and do not have an answer but they wanted it more except, of course, for Tobias and James who would be balling out in a game of jacks.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Losing to Citadel, a winless FCS team is certainly not a good thing & I’m not defending him for that. What gets me is the HOW we lost.

A. We’re undisciplined which is not a core GT characteristic. We are a disciplined Institute by our nature. You get a drive extending personal foul called because of a cheap shot & I expect the offender gets benched. You get one right after that. I expect the coaches get the entire team over & read them the riot act. Next guy’s heading to the locker room. You get another one. It’s completely out of control. It doesn’t stop there. Seemingly no intervention or if there was they were just blatantly disrespecting the staff, take your pick. We nearly had 2 more. I’m really not sure how the back judge did not see what should have been #4 or #5. Cheap shot #4 was 3 secs at least after the whistle. It was one of the worst, most unsportsmanlike things I’ve ever seen a GT player do. Good coaches do not tolerate or promote such conduct, win or lose.

B. The dancing. Maybe I’m too old, but dancing is not football. Dancing when you’re losing is poor form. Dancing when you’re losing to an FCS team does not have words for it. The cheerleaders or whatever they are flashing the signs belong along the wall with the other cheerleaders not in the middle of the football team. Exhibitions after you made a good play against an FCS team equally unsavory, particularly when you’re losing. Would not have been acceptable if we were winning, but doing it when you were getting your butt kicked is idiotic.

C. Not understanding basic football rules. There just is no excuse. Read the book, get someone to tutor you on the rules, etc but know the rules.

D. Ride the hot hand, don’t bench him. I get it you want to distance yourself from the old regime. But a hot hand’s a hot hand. Nobody takes out a guy producing & subs in someone struggling that I have ever seen in my lifetime except a Little League coach making sure the pine riders got their minimum innings in.

That’s the HOW that’s going to get the fire lit. It’s not having a bunch of unexpected losses, it’s crap like that. In time lack of positive developments will do you in, but the acutely negative stuff needs immediate attention.

This is my last post on this. I’m waiting for the Temple game before I assess any further. Whatever proclamations get made between now & then will have no meaning until I see with my own eyes the team gets it.

Just wanted to say that this is a great post.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

Excellent post by the way(y)

LibertyTurns

Banned
There were that many more near unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and personal fouls? That is disturbing. I trust that you might be exaggerating a bit because if you are not then this team is headed for Randy Shannon/Al Golden country sans the talent the Hurricanes had back then.
#4 I was talking about the whistle blew after the punt returner was tackled. There was some sort of trash going on (shoving, etc) near the sideline and the back judge looked left. The ball carrier got up and tossed the ball towards a ref. Right about the same time a Citadel guy went flying. He was just standing there and got blindside demolished. Easily 2-3 secs after the whistle. It was around the 40 nearer the south endzone & the Citadel bench and fans went nuts. I thought for sure the flag was coming out but apparently nobody besides those nearer the south endzone and in south part of east stands saw it. I’ve never seen GT play football like that & trust coach will get his house in order.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, Collins may be a marketing whiz, but he hasn’t shown me anything as a real football coach, yet. Through three games, his team has been ill-prepared and unjustifiably cocky. When Tech becomes disciplined and competent - from coaches down to walk-ons - outcomes will change. You can install a lot of hype, but losing to teams you should beat is the fastest way to further thin the crowd.