Stetson game

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
My thoughts from being there

- Stetson is not as good as Miami-Ohio. Not as quick on perimeter.
- GT played a LOT of zone, especially in first half - Stetson struggled against it.
- Howard had two fouls in first five minutes (we can't afford that most nights) - he stayed in a little, then Saba played @6-7 minutes before Howard came back. He did not foul again.
------- Saba did not show me a lot tonight - too slow on defense, made a layup, had some rebounds .... role player minutes is what I think we'll see .... he is not ready for ACC calliber bigs yet.
- Khalid was very good on defense, but air ball on the one three he took. Made a couple layups and FT.
- Deebo got a lot more minutes - made four threes - when he shoots it you think it's going in nearly every time. Teams will not play off him like they do Khalid.
------- Gonna get big minutes this season. Stetson played some zone and Deebo made them pay.
- Devoe had great first half - game was won in first half.
- Way too many turnovers in second half - especially some bad plays/passes from Usher and Devoe. Got sloppy late when no starters in (number of TO will look higher than if close game and less bench play)
- Kelly struggled on defense - will not surprise me if Parham (and/or Maxwell if he is able to play) eat into his minutes
- Sturdivant and Smith both had moments doing things well, and not so well at point.
------- Smith missed a two hand dunk on follow-up to a miss .... His speed on offense and defense is challenge for defense to stay in front of him
------- Sturdivant had couple nice drives and finishes using his size/strength
- Meka and Jalon got in last few minutes - clear they are not ready for this level yet. Jalon made couple nice drives (and several not so nice plays as well).

Overall - game was not really in doubt after the middle of first half. Good bounce back from Miami game.
Effort was there - especially early.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Saba did not show me a lot tonight - too slow on defense, made a layup, had some rebounds .... role player minutes is what I think we'll see .... he is not ready for ACC calliber bigs yet.

It's worth watching the replay to look at Saba. If you start when he came in around the 11 minutes to go in the 1st half. He played for 2 or 3 minutes and was good at the back of the zone (closeouts, positioning, rebounding, etc.). He also was very active in the offense screening and initiating the offense. Pay attention to how good our offense looks when he's in (screening, cutting and motion).

I like what he brings.

Howard plays more like James Banks.

Saba has skills like Lammers on the offensive side of the ball and it opens up the floor.

/

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s still early, but we are playing too many guys who are turnover prone. Usher playing wild, Devoe doing too much, young guys traveling and stepping out of bounds. We are going to lose games if we don’t get the turnovers under control. We need Bubba more than I realized before.

Doesn’t need to happen now, but Deebo should start before ACC play. His shooting just helps with spacing because his defender has to actually stick with him instead of floating in driving lanes.

Were there any held balls in this game? Got so used to seeing them the last few years with Jose. It’s weird not seeing us tie people up.

Jalon Moore showed flashes. Played pretty bad, but he’s a guy who could blossom with a couple years of development. Hope he sticks around.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m off the ledge a little from the Miami melt down. We looked good early. The 2nd half TO need to be corrected. Some expected by the Fr but some bad mistakes by upperclassmen. FT shooting looks good and we shot much better from 3 than game 1.
The next 4 games were scheduled perfectly. Lamar, @ ****hole, Ga So, Charleston So. Then it gets real! Wisconsin, LSU, USC, N Car and Ga St. These next 4 games will definitely help getting these guys to gel, workout mistakes and get the young guys min, while hopefully having big enough leads to rest usher and Devoe.
We cannot afford to lose any of those 4 games and must stay healthy!

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was a good progression game for the team.

* Loved the defense switches, we have long fast defenders.
* Davoe is good, and will be very good this year
* Sneaks, if he can play under control and utilize his speed, will become a VERY good PG
* Keep developing Rodney, we need him to give us quality minutes at the 5
* Deebo, my pick for one of our talented Freshmen to break out,

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
It's worth watching the replay to look at Saba. If you start when he came in around the 11 minutes to go in the 1st half. He played for 2 or 3 minutes and was good at the back of the zone (closeouts, positioning, rebounding, etc.). He also was very active in the offense screening and initiating the offense. Pay attention to how good our offense looks when he's in (screening, cutting and motion).

I like what he brings.

Howard plays more like James Banks.

Saba has skills like Lammers on the offensive side of the ball and it opens up the floor.

/
good awakening!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The game was pretty much the blueprint for what we want this year imo.

Ush and Mike scoring efficiently (combined for 31 points on 14/21 shooting) and doing a bit (or more) of everything (combined for 16 rebs, 12 assists, 4 steals).
Deebo needs to be that third scorer for us and he was (hoping he still gets a bit more involved offensively though).
Sturdviant and Smith were productive combining for 14 points, 8 rebs, 4 assists, and 2 steals.
Howard didn't have the statistical game he had in game 1 (2 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists) but that is going to happen when the rest of the team is playing well. There's no need to force the issue to him as you really can't dare him to shoot the way you can dare Moore to.

Too many turnovers and the FT situation (2-7) wasn't great either from getting FTs or hitting them but all in all this was a good showing doing what we were supposed to do against an overmatched opponent.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I would add to the points above is for us to be really good our speed on defense Has to cause more turnovers and points off turnovers. Stetson had more points off turnovers than we did and 12 points off turnovers for us is not enough

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Guys just need game time together outside practice time. Turnovers were a problem a couple of years ago but Jose took over and was very good with possessions. Pastner seemed to go from a perimeter passing motion to dribble drive which became very effective. He is probably searching for what will work with these guys and who can play together. Mike and Ush will get points but need 25+ from the other guys. I figure those two will normally get 40+ which is averaging 20 ppg. That is optimistic but I figure they will be featured in the offense until he finds the other scorers. Good teams will try to shut them down so need other guys to score. We have played decent defense in the past even when we have had mediocre seasons. The 5 spot may be our biggest weakness this year. So far it has been. Howard needs to stay out of foul trouble. Can't be as aggressive and we need some points from that position.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
I was there last night, team is trying to find a rhythm. Saw some really good play in spurts, but turnovers are a major concern through 3 games. Pastner recognizes and acknowledged it as a primary concern to address. A bit disappointed in the attendance. We pretty much had a whole row to ourselves in 101, student section had around 150. Place was pretty dead except for the gimmicks (hot dog suits, nerf bows, etc.). This team thrives on energy and a better turnout will definitely help. I implore fellow alum to come out; I make a 5 hour drive from FL to see 4 or 5 games a year and remember when the Thrlllerdome was rocking well before tip off; this is no longer the case. LET'S GET BEHIND THIS TEAM!!!! We all need to do our part to sustain a quality program.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I was there last night, team is trying to find a rhythm. Saw some really good play in spurts, but turnovers are a major concern through 3 games. Pastner recognizes and acknowledged it as a primary concern to address. A bit disappointed in the attendance. We pretty much had a whole row to ourselves in 101, student section had around 150. Place was pretty dead except for the gimmicks (hot dog suits, nerf bows, etc.). This team thrives on energy and a better turnout will definitely help. I implore fellow alum to come out; I make a 5 hour drive from FL to see 4 or 5 games a year and remember when the Thrlllerdome was rocking well before tip off; this is no longer the case. LET'S GET BEHIND THIS TEAM!!!! We all need to do our part to sustain a quality program.
yes, last years team was my most favorite team of any sport including the braves until this yr's world series! last years team did not have any very high rated recruits, but those guys made greatness the way they went a lot of hustle, sweat, and a lot of fun! even their defense was lots of fun!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Is Stetson D2? Good practice game but too sloppy for real teams. also- 5 pts from Ctr position is not enough unless we are holding folks to 50 pts.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Is Stetson D2? Good practice game but too sloppy for real teams. also- 5 pts from Ctr position is not enough unless we are holding folks to 50 pts.
No d1. Basketball is different most teams don’t schedule d2 teams in basketball