State of California Votes To Pay Athletes

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well, if they’re getting paid then they are professional athletes. As far as I know, it’s always been understood that college sports are for amateurs. Is this actually written in the NCAA rules? I hope so. I don’t want college sports turn into a semipro league.

Freaking Californians...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
governor to stop bill for allowing athletes to earn money on their likeness

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Fixed it for you: NCAA writes letter asking Governor to fix it for them after California Senate voted unanimously to approve.

+ the bill explicitly prohibits Universities from paying players for their likeness, etc:

"10 (b) A postsecondary educational institution, athletic association, line 11 conference, or other group or organization with authority over line 12 intercollegiate athletics shall not provide a prospective student line 13 athlete with compensation in relation to the athlete’s name, image, line 14 or likeness It allows player to collect licensing rights. There are a few constituencies in California (EA sports...) that would have an interest in this going through."

IMO, this could provide a huge recruiting advantage to California schools, says a ucla law alum in california.

Deleted member 2897

I look forward to the NCAA ruling any and all California athletes who break their rules ineligible, and issuing the death penalty to all those California schools who habitually break their rules. If the NCAA doesn’t do this, they’ll be even more of a punchline than they already are.