Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering there is going to be a package guy, I think it is obviously Gleason starting because he is the only one who is primarily a pocket guy. Graham, Yates, and Sims have a reputation for being scramblers.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Also Graham and Yates leading the poll while most of the comments are Gleason-Sims. Lot of early voters, I bet.

It's probably more that if you think it's one of the freshman you're probably more inclined to speak. Especially going with Graham would be seen as the "normal" and not need as much justification for voting.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Considering there is going to be a package guy, I think it is obviously Gleason starting because he is the only one who is primarily a pocket guy. Graham, Yates, and Sims have a reputation for being scramblers.

People reading way too much into the "package" comment, IMO. Don't think it means what people are thinking, necessarily. A lot of times, having a "package" for the backup QB means he is less experienced and doesn't know the whole playbook, so you have a scaled down package of plays for him to run. Doesn't always have anything to do with skillset.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
People reading way too much into the "package" comment, IMO. Don't think it means what people are thinking, necessarily. A lot of times, having a "package" for the backup QB means he is less experienced and doesn't know the whole playbook, so you have a scaled down package of plays for him to run. Doesn't always have anything to do with skillset.

I agree with this. The more I think about it, it could be any of the guys. I'd say the comments from Patenaude were more akin to having a gameplan for the #2/#3 guys adapted to their skillsets with intent to get the #2 guy in for ~25% of the series on the first game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully there will be 10 more games to play. Plenty of time to bring along the freshmen given they only had 6 spring practices and this fall to learn the playbook under actual pressure. I think Collins goes with a freshman only if he sees this season as pure development so he can have a big 3rd and 4th year. It's nice to have a 7 year contract and fans tend to have short memories when you finally can win.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm very hopeful for Yates! I know Sims and Gleason are new favorites, but I like Yates. Would love to see him this season!

According to the poll results, they all look to be the new favorites!!! :p No matter what the coaches do Saturday, roughly 1/4 of the fanbase is going to be ecstatic. At least for a bit anyways.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My speculation is that we are planning to run the ball 65-70% of the plays. So, the question becomes which QB is best at handling the ball in the run game? The second question is which QB can get the ball to the backs in stride on flare patterns or wheel routes.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
My speculation is that we are planning to run the ball 65-70% of the plays. So, the question becomes which QB is best at handling the ball in the run game? The second question is which QB can get the ball to the backs in stride on flare patterns or wheel routes.

CDP likes to air it out.
That said my final prediction is Sims.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
To me, you don't have to run the same number of plays running/passing or have similar yards in each to have a balanced offense. And you aren't multiple if you try to attack in different ways but aren't able to have success with them. To be balanced and multiple -- aka effective -- you need to have ways to attack which help each other succeed. When CPJs offense was good, this was the case even when we threw the ball less than ten times in a game and completed 4 of those passes. But there were games where we were a lot more balanced in the numbers and still stunk.

I can certainly see each of our QBs providing ways for us to be balanced and multiple regardless of the run/pass split.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I agree with this. The more I think about it, it could be any of the guys. I'd say the comments from Patenaude were more akin to having a gameplan for the #2/#3 guys adapted to their skillsets with intent to get the #2 guy in for ~25% of the series on the first game.
I’m glad we’ll have a game plan this year. That by itself will be a big change for the offense.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad we’ll have a game plan this year. That by itself will be a big change for the offense.

Haha. Actually, that kind of lines up with what Patenaude said about Graham. While a lot falls on the staff for not trying to craft an offense to fit what we had to work with and were able to execute at a high level, at the same time there was an element of choice willing to look awful until the guys caught up to speed. Hopefully that time is behind us.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Based off this observation it can't be Gleason b/c Coach P. Said the QB HAS to be a big part of the running game.