Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims has a cannon, an elite arm, can he make all the reads and understand the coverages as good as Gleason?
Gleason really jumped on the offense and had his high school coach, who’s now a college coach assisting him on understanding the offense.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand is why is everyone assuming that Sims CAN'T make the throws that Gleason can. One qb was highly decorated and one wasn't. Based on the comments here you'd think Gleason was the highly decorated 4* QB. Sims isn't just a running QB. The word "Athletic" seems to be code word for something else. The guy can pass with the best of them. He's done private workouts with passing coaches that say he's the real deal. He is a smart guy and can play the position but just like Gleason, who by the way had a lousy season, is a young freshman. Let's put aside these assumptions that Sims is only "athletic"
Gleason had a lousy season because he was running for his life for a team that was not good. Look at his jr stats if you like numbers. The question isn’t about having a strong arm it’s about knowing who to throw it to when and having the touch to make all of the throws. I hope both freshmen can handle it so we have depth and a choice.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Gleason had a lousy season because he was running for his life for a team that was not good. Look at his jr stats if you like numbers. The question isn’t about having a strong arm it’s about knowing who to throw it to when and having the touch to make all of the throws. I hope both freshmen can handle it so we have depth and a choice.
That's the thing, with our OL going up against some good defenses this year Gleason will be running for his life and if his numbers are bad in those situations I'd rather have the guy who can escape the pocket and make plays, like Sims.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand is why is everyone assuming that Sims CAN'T make the throws that Gleason can. One qb was highly decorated and one wasn't. Based on the comments here you'd think Gleason was the highly decorated 4* QB. Sims isn't just a running QB. The word "Athletic" seems to be code word for something else. The guy can pass with the best of them. He's done private workouts with passing coaches that say he's the real deal. He is a smart guy and can play the position but just like Gleason, who by the way had a lousy season, is a young freshman. Let's put aside these assumptions that Sims is only "athletic"
I'm not knocking Sims or pumping up any of the other QB's. When I looked at Sims's film, I saw a lot of throws that were late. That's a recognition thing, something that can be improved upon. It's something that has driven me crazy with all of our QB's since #5 was running around back there. The idea is for the ball to get there when the receiver breaks open not for the QB to throw the ball when the receiver breaks open. Way too often the receiver is there waiting for the ball to arrive. I love when throws are on-time and on-target.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I think there are people who may be biased one way or another, but all of us are making educated guesses from very incomplete second hand information. I don't think anyone is saying Sims is just an athlete and not a quarterback. They are only reflecting information that states that Gleason is further ahead in understanding and execution of the offense. That may not be true at all. But if it is, it's good reason to start Gleason even if Sims potential is higher.

But I do think you have a point that some might not give him adequate credit and see "athleticism" and potentially even race as biasing indicators of who he is as a player. The star rating matters, but it's not a reliable indicator. And we might be looking at great QB who is less ready to take the reigns vs. a very good QB who has command of the offense. Or Tucker was underrated. Or developed significantly in the last year. All that stuff is reasonable, but it's really important to realize that it's not common for even highly touted QBs to be instant starters as true freshman. We can hope we've won the lottery, but it's more likely a reflection of us not having a well established QB room prior to their arrival.

That said, Jeff also has some unique athleticism that may make him suited to run a slightly different package to keep defenses on their toes and get him game experience as he develops. That doesn't make him a specialty QB, but it may be the most productive way to use his gifts to help the team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Sims plays in 11 games in 2020.
Jeff Sims plays in 4 games in 2021.
Jeff Sims starts as a RSFreshman in 2022 with 2-1/2 springs and 1-1/3 seasons of experience.

(You can substitute Tucker Gleason)

Jordan Yates plays in 4 games in 2019.
Jordan Yates plays in 11 games in 2020.
Jordan Yates starts as a RSFreshman in 2021 with 2-1/2 springs and 1-1/3 seasons of experience.

If we do play games this year, these guys are going to be a lot better down the road.

Scubapro

Banned
Jeff Sims plays in 11 games in 2020.
Jeff Sims plays in 4 games in 2021.
Jeff Sims starts as a RSFreshman in 2022 with 2-1/2 springs and 1-1/3 seasons of experience.

(You can substitute Tucker Gleason)

Jordan Yates plays in 4 games in 2019.
Jordan Yates plays in 11 games in 2020.
Jordan Yates starts as a RSFreshman in 2021 with 2-1/2 springs and 1-1/3 seasons of experience.

If we do play games this year, these guys are going to be a lot better down the road.
I would hope they would be better. :)
Are they gonna be coached up to be better or are they gonna just be more experienced?
Reggie was the poster boy for this analogy. He had much more experience by his senior year but I would be hard pressed to say he got better as a quarter back.
Who knows? I hope one of them separates himself so the staff isn't temped to rotate multiple QBs within a series.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would hope they would be better. :)
Are they gonna be coached up to be better or are they gonna just be more experienced?
Reggie was the poster boy for this analogy. He had much more experience by his senior year but I would be hard pressed to say he got better as a quarter back.
Who knows? I hope one of them separates himself so the staff isn't temped to rotate multiple QBs within a series.
I'm still disgruntled that a QB whisperer like Chan Gailey let Patrick Nix run [throw] that offense into the ground.

Scubapro

Banned
I'm still disgruntled that a QB whisperer like Chan Gailey let Patrick Nix run [throw] that offense into the ground.
Ha...I am not sure who was more at fault in that scenario. Chan or Nix. Either way we watched that movie once. I hope we aren't gearing up for a sequel.
I have zero to base my opinion but I think either Sims or Gleason have much more potential than Reggie did as a freshman. (not throwing shade on Reggie BTW)

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
And so far, all we've seen are pictures of the field, guys being "swole", and inspirational huddles. No one here knows if Sims or Gleason knows where to go with the ball. This is by design by the coaching staff. I know all about his Jr stats. I'm just saying, he didn't go to a HS tucked in the corner somewhere. He went to Plant for goodness sakes. If he was evaluated like guys from Plant are, then he lived up to his rating. The services know all the info we do and yet Sims was rated higher.... not cause he has zip on the ball, but because he was an outstanding QB. I'm not rooting for one guy over the other. I'm an Alum that wants a total reversal of last year's crap-fest. What I will not do is put certain assumptions of one SA over another based off of God knows what mentality.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I am going to tick off some of you guys, and honestly, I HOPE I am wrong, but, based on last year, I just don't trust P'Nut to get it done for us.
I agree, but am willing to give him a pass since last year was a complete transition year and we had serious injuries. However, if we see more of the same crap as last year from Coach Patenaude with a healthy team and one that has had a year of experience, then I think it is time to move on from him and get a new OC.