Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I personally don't see a freshman starting for P. He seems like an old school guy who wants experience over flash or potential. I think it's currently Grahams or Yates until they prove they cannot move the chains.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Gleason starts. Sims will play as well depending on the situation. I’m thinking an 80-20 split. Regardless, we are in a good situation with QB and given the circumstances of the season, QB depth will be crucial.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I think Gleason starts. Sims will play as well depending on the situation. I’m thinking an 80-20 split. Regardless, we are in a good situation with QB and given the circumstances of the season, QB depth will be crucial.
No question about it. But only registered users can see this, right?

bos

Helluva Engineer
Yates may be game 1 starter given that he knows the offense pretty well and will be the most consistent off the bat. However, I'm going to go with Gleason to end the season. By all accounts, he looked great in the Spring and the first scrimmage team recently had. He is also physically the most capable of handling the position being the biggest (weight wise) QB on the roster.

I believe Sims will play given the situation. I'm sure they will use him to run the ball when the team is ahead in the game. (which should be often :))

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I’ve yet to see a single picture or video from camp of James Graham behind center, taking a snap, throwing, etc. I don’t think I’ve even seen a single picture/vid of him at camp. Kinda strange, and telling if you ask me. Could be over analyzing it though.
That is true.
Very odd...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I agree that reading between the lines puts Gleason at the forefront if external assessments of how the QBs are performing in camp are accurate. They want the guy that executes the offense most consistently. I also agree that it's likely Sims will have a package to take advantage of his athleticism and get an opportunity to play. That said, he's not just an athlete out there. The guy clearly has QB chops and takes the craft seriously. He won't see the field if he's just an athlete trying to make plays.

I could see Graham starting if the QB competition is close. Like last year starting at Clemson, Graham having demonstrated already the ability to handle the pressure of being starting QB at this level is invaluable, but if impressions are right that the other 3 QBs are outperforming him, I don't see him earning any PT unless the other QBs flounder and possibly changing positions during the season.

Yates is the other QB of interest because it's consistently commented that he's the most knowledgeable about the offense, and he does have some live game experience. That said, knowledge does not mean execution. That's why I'm putting my money on Gleason right now, but of course none of us have actually seen them play yet, and the sources of information are from folks who themselves don't necessarily know what the QBs are supposed to be doing on any given play.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Graham missed a lot of intermediate/short throws last year. In my opinion he lacks consistency but if he has improved then he should/could be the guy because he has the most experience. I think when these guys(sims/Gleason) are thrown into the fire, there’s a chance they’ll get burnt.

But If they have shown the consistency in practice, hopefully they end up burning others

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I'm going with Gleason. No other reason than I just think he's a gamer. Remember Major Applewhite vs Chris Sims. It's not always that physical ability wins out. Sometimes you just need a field general.

Deleted member 2897

I think the free year of eligibility changes things and not in a good way for Yates or Graham. Although it does mean they will have another year of eligibility if they go elsewhere which they likely will. I’ll guess Sims. It will be interesting to see what Sims or Gleason does depending on who loses the battle. We could go from 4 QBs to 1, relying on a true freshman backup for 2021.

Well technically we have Demetrius Knight and Tobias Oliver. So we have 6 recruited QBs on our roster. It would have been 7 had Lucas Johnson not left! I also wouldn’t be surprised to go down to 1 or 2. We have a QB in next years class. We’ll be okay. Some top college teams only operate with 1 or 2 decent QBs for the same reason. Hopefully we won’t lose most of them, but it’s the way of the world.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year, Graham missed spring camp, was QB3 in fall camp, was practicing at WR the previous year (in a flexbone offense), and had to work behind the worst OL in P5. Yet, he did ok at times. After the Citadel and Temple, we had no business winning any ACC games, yet James led us to two wins. Against NCSt and VA (in the loss) he looked like a decent ACC QB. He was also, obviously, bad at times.

IMHO, he has enough talent to be a serviceable starter. I was very interested to see how he developed with a more favorable situation. I expected him to hold on to the job, at least to start out.

I say that to say that if one (or more) of the other QBs is showing enough to take the job from him, especially one of the freshmen, I see that as a very good sign.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
From what I’ve gathered is that the offense is a lot different this year from last. Meaning the execution and installation of CDP is much further along. A lot more personnel that fits. For example expect to see more TE play. More screens and intermediate passing. Two or more running back sets and 11 & 12 personnel groupings.

With that I don’t think we’ll see Yates or Graham start. Just not schematic fits. Gleason runs the offense best while Sims adds an electric dynamic. If Sims can pic up more of the offense then Sims, if not Gleason with Sims sprinkled in.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
In my very uneducated opinion, I don’t understand the love for Sims just based on his athleticism. If he can’t consistently make throws and move the offense, all that athleticism doesn’t push him over Graham as a QB. My guess is Gleason takes the start for consistency and passing game threat but Sims will take a lot of red zone snaps and various packages.

But regardless of who starts, if another QB is effective in various packages, I’d expect the coaches to let the hot hand ride.
What I don't understand is why is everyone assuming that Sims CAN'T make the throws that Gleason can. One qb was highly decorated and one wasn't. Based on the comments here you'd think Gleason was the highly decorated 4* QB. Sims isn't just a running QB. The word "Athletic" seems to be code word for something else. The guy can pass with the best of them. He's done private workouts with passing coaches that say he's the real deal. He is a smart guy and can play the position but just like Gleason, who by the way had a lousy season, is a young freshman. Let's put aside these assumptions that Sims is only "athletic"

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
What I don't understand is why is everyone assuming that Sims CAN'T make the throws that Gleason can. One qb was highly decorated and one wasn't. Based on the comments here you'd think Gleason was the highly decorated 4* QB. Sims isn't just a running QB. The word "Athletic" seems to be code word for something else. The guy can pass with the best of them. He's done private workouts with passing coaches that say he's the real deal. He is a smart guy and can play the position but just like Gleason, who by the way had a lousy season, is a young freshman. Let's put aside these assumptions that Sims is only "athletic"
To be honest if Sims can pass just as good as people are saying Gleason can, people act like Gleason is Peyton Manning, but add Sims being able to be quick and elusive, then I will take Sims any day of the week. With our OL, which I think will be much improved this year but still, we will need someone who can escape the pocket so I hope we go with Sims so we get the whole package. Great passer and a runner.

I just don't see any reason why we wouldn't start Sims. He sounds like the guy to me.